The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 28, 2017, 06:25 PM   #26
rightside

Buy a Ruger 10/22. Add $500+ in upgrades and then you'll have a rifle that will shoot as good as a Marlin 60. Or just buy a marlin 60 and be done with it!
Old April 28, 2017, 07:12 PM   #27
Hawg

Quote:
Buy a Ruger 10/22. Add $500+ in upgrades and then you'll have a rifle that will shoot as good as a Marlin 60. Or just buy a marlin 60 and be done with it!
What he said. I have a Marlin model 60 that's about 30 years old and is starting to get a little finicky about what it earts. Probably needs a good cleaning. I have a newer one I've had for four or five years and never a minutes trouble. I had a Ruger 10/22 and it was nothing but a disappointment as far as accuracy goes. I gave it to my niece who actually likes the dang thing.
Old April 28, 2017, 07:23 PM   #28
baddarryl

I have a 10/22 Target with serious mods done to it that my 795 with nothing more than a KAT trigger will compete evenly with. I also have a Marlin 981T tube fed bolt action that I put in a Walnut stock and Rifle Basix trigger that is as accurate as my friends CZ's that are considered entry level for truly accurate .22's. Can't go wrong with Marlin.

By far my favorite:
Old April 28, 2017, 11:14 PM   #29
Bamashooter

The only upgrade Ive made to my 10/22's is take some of my kids craft paint and paint the gold dot front sight orange. You guys are hilarious with the add $500 to the Ruger. LOL!!!!
Old April 29, 2017, 02:51 AM   #30
xandi

Any way to get a peep sight on the Marlin?
Old April 29, 2017, 08:35 AM   #31
Dranrab

I am not a fan of the tube fed rimfires. The Marlin 60 is a fine rifle. It doesn't seem to have suffered in build quality like some of the Marlin line-up did with the Remington acquisition. I'd take a 10/22 over a Marlin all day long. My 10/22 is accurate enough to do what I do with a 22. Any fractional accuracy edge a 60 MAY have, doesn't translate to any real world advantages.

If buying a bolt gun, it's really hard to beat a Savage heavy barrel.
Old April 29, 2017, 10:30 AM   #32
Pathfinder45

Xandi; I have one of these on my Marlin 99-M1: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...aluminum-black

It works very well. You may or may not have to make changes to your front sight.
Old May 4, 2017, 07:44 PM   #33
xandi

Sweet, thank you.
Did you need a new front sight post to make it work?
Due to small mouths that demand food it might be a little bit till the funds become avalable.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:58 PM   #34
MosinNOUGAT

I have a Marlin that's pretty good.
Old May 7, 2017, 03:08 PM   #35
Pathfinder45

Yes, I did modify the front sight by filing a half-round groove in the top of the blade and using JB Weld to bond a short section of brass rod into the groove and filing to shape so that it appears to be a round bead on top of a post when sighting the rifle. The face of the bead is filed at a flat, upward-angle to catch the most light, and then finished off with a couple of coats of flourescent paint topped off with clear fingernail polish. Works excellent.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:49 PM   #36
COSteve

I've got 5ea 22lr rifles including both a 1973 10/22 (2ea) and 1980 Marlin model 60. I bought them new and have enjoyed them over the years. Of the two, they have different strengths, the Ruger being more compact and feeding from a removable mag while the Marlin is more accurate and I like the feel shouldering it better.

That said, it's really what you want out of it that counts. You can get high cap mags, flash hiders, custom triggers, heavy barrels, etc., etc., for the 10/22 while the Marlin is more a conventional rifle. Myself, for general plinking and squirrel shooting, I like my Marlin a bit better because it came with a better stock trigger and it seems to work with a compact 4x scope I use on it better than the 10/22 I have a scope on.

However, you need to try each out and decide for yourself.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:44 AM   #37
bassJAM1

I have a 10/22, Model 60, and Savage Mark II. None of them are my favorite.

The 10/22 is the LEGO of the .22 world. Easy and fun to work on, and you can turn it in to anything you want. Reliable stock, but does give up some (and just some) accuracy to the Marlin. Both are minute-of-squirrel accurate.

So the Marlin is slightly more accurate, but if you shoot dirty ammo and don't regularly clean out the action it'll start to jam on you. I'm talking 2,000 rounds or so, which may be a lot or a little depending on your shooting and cleaning habits. The Ruger can take a lot more punishment in this regard.

The Savage is a different animal, being a bolt action. It's easily more accurate than both the Ruger and Marlin. My only gripe is the 10 round magazine. For some reason, I prefer a more streamlined look on my rimfires and have never liked those "banana" shaped mags sticking out from the bottom. I picked up a 5 rounder for hunting, which I like a lot better.

As far as my favorite .22 rifle, that honor goes to an old Remington 510 Targetmaster. It's a single shot, but dang is it accurate. If I ever get a second I'll have it drilled and tapped for a scope mount, because I think it'd out shoot my Savage.

But what I REALLY want is a Remington 512 Sportmaster. Same action and barrel as my 510, but with a tube magazine. Should be able to find one in the same price range as a 10/22.
Old May 10, 2017, 02:54 PM   #38
Model12Win

The CZ-512 has rave reviews and is a handsome piece to be sure. I wouldn't look any farther, they are fabulous especially for the price point.
Old May 10, 2017, 07:03 PM   #39
Berserker

When doing lots of shooting, tube on Marlin is easy on fingers, and maybe quicker to load than a magazine.

I like that you can put the safety on the Marlin before loading. I like that it stays open on last shot.

Though a person should have a 10/22 and 60, just to have them.

A henry lever or pump, would be fun to shoot. The steel ones are a bit cheaper, and not as loud as brass ones.
Old May 10, 2017, 08:35 PM   #40
kenny53

I own 10/22's and marlin 60's. I bought all the marlins from pawn shops giving $70-$100. All have been good shooters. I have found them great to give to grand kids and one son in law.

If you shop at pawn shops don't be afraid to low ball them. The worst that can happen is they say no.
Old May 27, 2017, 05:05 PM   #41
Bluecthomas

10/22 is just to common for my taste. It's like the inevitable 68 red with white stripe Camaro at a car show. Chances are you'll see a dozen of them. Not very reliable either in my experience. The 4 25 round mags I've fired through a 10/22 all had one or more hangups along the way.

Now that I've got the correct ammo choice, my PPS is more reliable than that by far. And they get awful reviews. It's also far cooler looking and much rarer.

New built by Remington Marlin's just suck. Only reason imo for the existence of GunBroker is buying Marlin built Marlin's.
Get a pre safety Marlin 39a. Reliable and accurate. But try to find one you can try before buying. Armslist let's you contact the sellers directly and search locally. Start there, don't be afraid to post a WTB ad if you don't see what you want.
Old May 30, 2017, 03:01 PM   #42
Picher

Just saw a Savage ad for a new A22, .22LR semi-auto with a user-adjustable "match-grade" AccuTrigger, 10-round rotary magazine, "precision button-rifled barrel.

It comes with scope blocks on the receiver, but I can't tell from the photo whether it has a steel receiver.

I hope it's as good as they say it is. Maybe there will be tests in the next magazines.
Old May 30, 2017, 03:18 PM   #43
Model12Win

Marlin 60.

Shoots rings around any box stock factory Ruger I've yet to see.

Just don't spray then with brake cleaner...
Old May 30, 2017, 04:23 PM   #44
xandi

Today 04:18 PM
Model12Win Marlin 60.

Shoots rings around any box stock factory Ruger I've yet to see.

Just don't spray then with brake cleaner..

What!?!?! No brake cleaner ) ; but i love brake cleaner...
Old May 30, 2017, 04:32 PM   #45
aarondhgraham

Yes, peep sights for the Marlin rifles,,,

Click here please.

Tech Sights are made to fit the Model 60 or the Model 795.

The set I purchased for my Mossberg 702 Plinkster are great!

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 30, 2017, 04:35 PM   #46
aarondhgraham

Another vote for the CZ-512,,,

Another vote for the CZ-512.

I just wanted a fun rifle (range toy) so I ordered a CZ 512 Carbine,,,
I liked it so much I ordered the 512 Rifle as well.

I don't know what it is but I shoot the rifle much better than any other I own.

I'm into my third bulk pack of cheap ammo,,,
Not one failure so far.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 30, 2017, 05:35 PM   #47
Don Fischer

Marlin Mod 60 or it's Western Auto look alike, both made by Marlin. Other than a couple handgun's the only 22 LR rifle I have is the mod 62A Winchester pump. I don't know how well it shoot's, don't shoot it much but I wouldn't trade it for ten mod 60's. It does not have a way to mount a scope. I am mostly a bolt action fan and I'd love to have a Rem 541S. That is one beautiful rifle. No idea haw well they shoot either but I'd bet it's better than I can!
Old May 30, 2017, 07:24 PM   #48
ShootistPRS

I had an old model 62A! my brother and I used to plink at cigarette buts at 75 yards from a -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- position. it was a good rifle - not target grade but it was accurate enough for anything you shoot with a 22.
I gave it to my son and he traded it for a transmission for his Bronco. It was the second rifle I ever bought, $5 complete. I liked the lack of a disconnecter on it. You could hold the trigger back and shoot "rifleman" style. Oh yea, less than $10 for 500 rounds of long rifle ammo and a day of plinking out under the power lines. Those days are gone!
Old May 30, 2017, 07:49 PM   #49
muzzleblast...

Add one to the Marlin Model 60 fan boy list.