The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 28, 2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Wendyj

Anyone own a Winchester XPR

Saw a good deal on these at Cabelas for the 4th sale. Shouldered nice and bolt was smooth. Anyone own one as far as accuracy. Not a model 70 but good enough price for a truck beater gun.
Old June 28, 2017, 02:50 PM   #2
sabbfan

I've asked the same question on another forum with very few answers, hopefully someone here has used one. They have a rebate on them as well which makes them tempting. Reviews seem to few and far between.
Old June 28, 2017, 03:58 PM   #3
Wendyj

This is my 3rd forum. No replies in 3 days.
Old June 28, 2017, 09:38 PM   #4
Pathfinder45

I would rather look for a used model 70 or a Mauser, something with real wood, for a, "truck beater gun". Or used lever-action. But to each their own. The current trend of budget, synthetic-stocked, plastic part rifles does nothing for me. There are some great used rifles out there at reasonable prices....
Some Questions: What was the price? Is the magazine plastic?
Old June 29, 2017, 05:10 AM   #5
Wendyj

$420.00 out the door. Mag was plastic. I've got lever actions but wanted the 300wsm and other than a Tikka this was all they had it in.
Old June 29, 2017, 05:46 AM   #6
jmr40

I don't own one. But have read nothing but positive reports online from those who do.

Winston Churchill
Old June 29, 2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Wendyj

The reviews are good on it. A used model 70 is still way more expensive and sure hate to mess that pretty wood up
Old June 29, 2017, 01:37 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Looks like Winchester's answer to the Savage Axis. The Savage's MSRP is lower and its mag holds one more though. Entry level hunting rifles.
Old June 29, 2017, 03:28 PM   #9
jmr40

The Savage Axis isn't available in 300 WSM. The Savage 10 series are all 2+1 in any of the WSM's. The XPR is 3+1.

The WSM's cartridge is ever so slightly larger and makes for a tighter magazine fit. I don't know why, but Savage rifles are the only ones that won't function with more than 2 in the magazine. You can load 3 in the magazine, but only if you feed the top round into the chamber when you close the bolt. You can't load 3 and close the bolt on an empty chamber or load 3+1.

Ruger's American rifles and the Savage Axis both incorporated a LOT of accuracy enhancing features and did away with all the frills resulting in an extremely accurate rifle that costs very little. They both borrowed a lot from Tikka. The XPR simply copied the others. I think this is going to be the future of bolt rifles just as Glock set the stage for modern pistols.

The XPR is late to the game. But they do offer several cartridge options not available on the others which is their biggest appeal. They are a little heavier than the others and I'd prefer a lighter rifle in a standard cartridge. But in a magnum are probably a good option.

Winston Churchill
Old June 29, 2017, 06:14 PM   #10
Wendyj

Yes. I had the Tikka T3 light and it beat me up a little until I bought a different recoil pad. Sold it hoping to find another Savage 16 weather warrior. It's discontinued in that caliber according to Cabellas