The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 22, 2017, 10:01 PM   #26
ThomasT

Yep the old '06 will do the job. But I could just as well get by with my 8x57 or 7x57 rifles. But then again the 2 30-06 rifles I have are not for sale. And they do get shot.

I really don't agree with the 308 have a lighter recoil. The 308 is doing every thing it can to match the power of the 06 and to do so has to use a faster burning charge of powder because of the limited case capacity. That seems to give it a sharper recoil.

I had one 308, a Remington carbine with a 20" barrel. It was light weight and kicked like a mule. I tried some military 150gr loads for practice rounds and they were worse than the factory hunting loads. I am not sensitive to recoil. I have 50 and 54 caliber BP rifles and don't mind those at all. I had a 45/70 for a while and 400gr bullets were noticeable but they were not as bad as that 308.

Now I do wish I had that little rifle back. I would adjust the loads a little and I bet I could make it more fun to shoot. But my 30-06 rifles aren't bad at all so far as it goes for me. Not even the 180gr loads.
Old June 22, 2017, 10:36 PM   #27
Don Fischer

I have my third 30-06 now, inherited it. I've never carried one hunting before but using it on elk this year. Everything come's down to bullet's. 7mm up is where I think the best cartridges are, 7x57 being one of the best and a 7mm-08 should doo well also. All about delivering a bullet at reasonable velocity that will penetrate well. Deer on down bullet weight isn't that important. I killed one deer very dead where it was standing with a 75gr V-Max in a 243! Bullet placement. Would not have had the shot had the deer not gave me an easy way inside. Bullet's are the secret. Good big game bullet's for game bigger than deer start at 7mm amd go up. i read years ago that Eleanor O'Conner had shot exactly one elephant, she did it with a 30-06.
Old June 23, 2017, 08:18 AM   #28
MJFlores

The .300 Flores Magnum is better in every way. It shoots 180 grain Nosler Partitions at 2750 fps, and has dropped more game than any other cartridge. It has a very rich and interesting military history too. Just about all rifle manufacturers offer the chambering as well.

Old June 24, 2017, 07:13 PM   #29
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
I won't disagree with the logic. In fact that is the decision I made in 1975 and hunted with the same 30-06 rifle almost exclusively for most of the next 40 years. But as much as I like the round, I'd advise younger shooters to make a different choice today for a variety of reasons.

Back in the day most shooters were primarily hunters and the trend was to only have one rifle. Going to a range and shooting lots of rounds down range just wasn't something most shooters did. A couple of boxes a year was typical. And no one limits themselves to one rifle any more.

Today most shooters are primarily shooters at the range; many never hunt but even for those who do hunting is secondary. For firing hundreds or even thousands of rounds down range each year there are better options that cost a lot less to feed and don't recoil nearly as much.

The advancements in powder, bullets, optics, etc. have made all cartridges far more capable. In the 21st century the 30-06 is best used on game like large Alaskan bear, moose or elk. If that were the primary game hunted then a 30-06 would still be a top pick. But the fact is that most hunters NEVER hunt any of those game animals.

There are several options today that cost less to shoot, recoil less, and are much better suited for the game most of us actually hunt. And for that occasional chance on larger game they would be at least as effective as 30-06 loads from years ago. The best 308 loads beat WW-2 era 30-06 loads by at least 100 fps.

With todays bullets and loads there is nothing I'd hunt with a 30-06 that I'd not also hunt with any of the 6.5's, a 7-08, or 308. And there are only a handful I'd not hunt with a 243.

I agree if your just shooting down range it's not the best choice . However I am greedy and have a 06 , 270 and 243

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 24, 2017, 07:46 PM   #30
Wildernesshunter

My 721 '06 isn't the happiest thing to shoot with its steal butt plate, but I am loading up 100 rounds of Sierra Game Kings in 200 grain for the top end application. Since I love "the family" so much, I also have a .270 Win with a plethora of 130's ready to go.

One or the other for the right application......two awesome guns.

"I agree if your just shooting down range it's not the best choice . However I am greedy and have a 06 , 270 and 243"

Thought you were going to say....you had an '06, 270 and a 25'06. That would be the true trifecta!!!!

Last edited by Wildernesshunter; June 24, 2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old June 25, 2017, 11:27 AM   #31
RC20

Quote:
The .300 Flores Magnum is better in every way. It shoots 180 grain Nosler Partitions at 2750 fps, and has dropped more game than any other cartridge. It has a very rich and interesting military history too. Just about all rifle manufacturers offer the chambering as well.
I assume this is a joke?
Old June 25, 2017, 11:45 AM   #32
zipspyder

Hard to tell. I did a double take on that post and went W.T.F.

I think or at least hope it was sarcasm.
Old June 25, 2017, 01:26 PM   #33
Jack O'Conner

300 Savage, .308, and 30-06 all hit with plenty of power to down game animals. But they do not strike with the same energy at all distances. In other words, a hunter with a 300 Savage might have to stalk a little closer than a hunter armed with a 30-06 assuming same bullet weights are used for hunting.

Many hunters do not comprehend or perceive the need of a 25-06 or 270 if they already own a good 30-06. But there are those that argue the merits of their favorite cartridge and that's what makes our world go round.

Jack
Old June 25, 2017, 02:49 PM   #34
RC20

And it sells guns!

That said, there is great interesting in AI cartridge when there is little evidence that they actually do anything.

You can get the same benefit by using a modern powder.

And we hear about flat trajectories but when you get ou8t to where it really matters, its 3 feet of this and 4 feet of that.

Hmm, so you are telling me your death dealing laser cartridge you can estimate 3 foot drop better than 4 foot?

Now don't get me wrong.

I think the 7.5 Swiss is the least appreciated cartridge in the world.

And its extremely rare in a modern gun, that's one reasons I built one.

Its also extremely doable and components galore from PPU for brass to all common powders and bullets for 308 caliber.

Given a modern gun I suspect you could make this a screamer over a 30-06. It already nips at the 06 with a much reduced powder load (older guns and limited burst pressures of those older guns)

As much as I admire it from the sleek short shoulder that will not stick to its fat efficient case (call it a 06 Short Magnum) I would not recommend anyone go hunting with it.

Why? Your hand loads better be with you, most stores don't carry it (though more big box than you might think)

So while the 7.5 is technically the better case (well ahead of its time design wise) its not the go to round either.
Old June 25, 2017, 03:26 PM   #35
Husqvarna

i'd rather have too much gun on small game than too little on big game

one of the 300s would be my choice

in a browning BLR
Old June 25, 2017, 03:36 PM   #36
zipspyder

I've never heard of anyone claiming the 06 was to little gun for anything except maybe AK coastal or Kodiak brown bears. Possibly the NA buffalo as well. The common 30's all use a .308 bullet so basically you are comparing velocities at different distances. At 0-200 yards they all pretty much act the same.
Old June 25, 2017, 04:33 PM   #37
Husqvarna

your bears and moose are way bigger than the ones I've got and I still think 30calibres are somehwat puny

but that hos more to do with how I mostly hunt, I hunt with a single baying dog, and even our moose and and bear are big enough that I want more punch, because I am hunting up close and don't want them to lash out towards the dog (or me) when I put them down

for just sneak hunting or blind hunting I can go with my 6,5
Old June 26, 2017, 09:23 AM   #38
RC20

What should be kept in mind was that most of the big AK harvests took place well before the boutique hunters came with their BAH (big honking) magnums.

Keep in mind that it was to get fed (moose) and elimination of a threat (Grizzly bears for the most part)

My step dads father took 8 very large Brown Bear with his 06.

The area was rife with big animals as it was almost coastal in nature (lots of water, trees, green stuff munchies for the moose and woods caribou as well as fish for the bears)

One picture the head of the bear is about as big as the front of the Willies Jeep.

The area did not lend itself to long shots, so you can guess they were likely under 200 yards.

The only thing a 30 caliber can not do reliably is the front penetration for an Elephant, Rhino or Cape Town Buff (maybe American as well).

One guy was famous for behind the ear shots with a under 30 caliber.

I was ready to take on brown bear with a 7mm if I had to. Never went after them but ready if it came up and no choice.
Old June 26, 2017, 10:15 AM   #39
Don Fischer

Just a though. Your going grizzly bear hunting and have a choice of three rifle's in different cartridge's, 7mm mag w/150gr bullet, 30-06 w/220 gr bullet and a 300 mag w/180 gr bullet. Ya can't change bullet's, which would you pick?
Old June 26, 2017, 10:24 AM   #40
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Don, based only on reading comments from Alaskan hunting guides, any of the three would work.

The primary factor is likely the hunter's ability to control his adrenalin rush.
Old June 26, 2017, 10:43 AM   #41
Don Fischer

Probably. But in a worst case, let's say the hunter does it all right. A bear at 100 yds+ doesn't pose a lot of problem's until it's wounded and close!
Old June 26, 2017, 11:26 AM   #42
zipspyder

I'd pick the 30-06 with 24" barrel if able to use a NP, A-frame or Federal TBT bullet. Less recoil on the 06 which means more practice for me. Don't feel like taking a 300+ yard shot at a grizzly. A 200 gr NP in 06 would be just as lethal.
Old June 26, 2017, 12:54 PM   #43

For the reloader, Sierra alone has 17 different bullet offerings ranging from 110gr to 240gr. There is nothing more versatile, It's just my opinion but, what do I know I shoot a 280 Remington.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old June 26, 2017, 07:39 PM   #44
disseminator

Quote:
Just a though. Your going grizzly bear hunting and have a choice of three rifle's in different cartridge's, 7mm mag w/150gr bullet, 30-06 w/220 gr bullet and a 300 mag w/180 gr bullet. Ya can't change bullet's, which would you pick?
300 Magnum.

But better yet would be a 175 in the 7mmRM
Old June 27, 2017, 12:31 AM   #45
Bamashooter

30-06 was the first caliber I ever reloaded. You can bet your a$$ I was nervous when I pulled the trigger on my Remington made 1903 Springfield. Everything went well and I ended up shooting a .84" group using 155gr SMK Palma bullets and IMR-4895 powder.

I can get much better performance hand loading the '06 than what is offered by ammunition producers with a few exceptions. You dont see very many companies pushing a 150gr bullet 3000fps and they push heavier bullets at much slower velocities than I can hand load them to. Factory loaded '06 ammo isnt near as fast as it could be for some reason.

I acquired a SA M1 Garand for my birthday last year and realized that factory loaded ammo was a little pricey so after checking a couple reloading manuals I started testing some loads and found a good one and put all this 30-06 brass I had laying around to good use. Hearing the clip ping for the first time when I was shooting the M1 was the coolest thing ever.

My T/C Venture is my newest hunting rifle and it shoots moa or better just about every time it goes to the range and so far I have yet to not kill any critter that gets in its crosshairs. I know that T/C has had their problems but the 5R rifling and 24" barrel appealed to me so I took a chance and Im glad I did.

I have plenty of other rifles but I love my 30-06's and their versatility.
Old June 28, 2017, 01:49 PM   #46
hooligan1

I have a ouple 3006's, one 700 and a Chinese 2 groove.
Both give me the best I can ask for for the caliber, and I dont mind hunting with them, except I haven't.
Owning a super shooting .270 win, and a new build in 6.5 Creedmoor, I can see those 3006's setting out a few deer seasons.
If I ever was able to hunt Alaska, my 3006 would go as well as my 7mm rem mag.
Loaded with decent bullets I wouldnt hesistate to shoot at any animal with either...
Old June 29, 2017, 05:48 PM   #47
dgludwig

Quote:
I really don't agree with the 308 have a lighter recoil. The 308 is doing every thing it can to match the power of the 06 and to do so has to use a faster burning charge of powder because of the limited case capacity. That seems to give it a sharper recoil.
Everything else being equal in terms of bullet weight, rifle weight, length of barrel, using the same stock, etc; the .308 does have less recoil. I'm not sure what you mean by "sharper" recoil, unless you mean perceived recoil due to differences in the aforementioned factors (i.e., a differently configured stock). "Seems" translates to subjectivity, which is not the way recoil is measured.

Presently, I have a couple of rifles chambered in 30-06 and one chambered in .308 (I have had others chambered in these two cartridges that I've either sold, traded or given away in the past). Over the years, I haven't noticed any real difference in "killing" power when hunting whitetails nor any meaningful "perceived" recoil between the two cartridges. My .308s generally have been a bit more accurate but any slight advantage in accuracy they offered is of little practical consequence when hunting deer (or even groundhogs, for that matter).

I like both of these versatile cartridges equally but if I could only have one, I'd give up the extra 200 or so feet per second advantage the '06 has and go with the .308 and its slightly shorter receiver/bolt throw.
Old June 30, 2017, 12:28 AM   #48
tahoe2

Nothing wrong with the "06", I owned one once, a Rem 700 synthetic in a Classic design with no cheek-piece, that thing beat me to crap, so I sold it.
It was very accurate though,
I have taken game with an 8x57 Mauser and it seriously dumps animals with a 170, 180, or 200 grn pill. I would take it for Bear, Moose or Caribou without hesitation.
I have a 7mm Mauser also, but have yet to take an animal with it, but feel it's fully capable.
My current fascination is with the 7.65 Argentine with 174 or 180 JSP's, I also feel totally equipped with it.

Any decent round with sufficient bullet mass will do the job, and like the "06", all of mine are over 100 years old and still performing like they always have.

Don't remember who quoted it (Col. Whelen I think) "The 30-06 is never a bad choice !"
Old June 30, 2017, 01:09 AM   #49
tangolima

30-06 is like a big truck. You can use it for hauling a lot of different things, so it is flexible. But is it the most fuel efficient vehicle? Maybe not.

It shines when one needs to launch a heavy projectile. Unfortunately that's not what it has ended up doing most, if not all, of the time. It is a waste for propelling a 150gr bullet. It can do it, no doubt. But it requires more power, the cartridge is heavier, the action is longer, uses more materials to manufacture the firearm, etc.

I like 30-06 for what it has been in history. But looking at it from any other angles, I have other favorites.

-TL
Old June 30, 2017, 04:20 AM   #50
darkgael

Quote:
Everything else being equal in terms of bullet weight, rifle weight, length of barrel, using the same stock, etc; the .308 does have less recoil. I
That is true when considering calculating free recoil. The difference, however, is marginal and, I suspect would not be detectable by most shooters. The difference stems from the lighter powder charge.
In fact, given that the more efficient .308 Win case allows for higher velocities with some bullets and powders, it is entirely possible for the 308 to have more free recoil than the 06 everything else being equal. The difference, though, is very small.