The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 9, 2017, 12:40 PM   #1
OhioGuy

Electronic muffs

Most of the electronic muffs I've seen are rated passively at 22 or 23 dB attenuation, which I've found isn't enough for me at the range, especially when people are out shooting rifles. I have a set of passive muffs rated at 32 dB that work pretty well. Sometimes I'll even put foam plugs in my ears and then wear the muffs.

Of course, then I can't hear range commands or conversation well, if at all.

I was thinking of getting the electronic muffs--does anyone recommend any that are especially good?

Would I be better off finding a set that have a higher dB rating, or going with the typical 22 dB style and just stuffing foam in my ears under them?
Old June 9, 2017, 03:24 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Howard Leight Pro and Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold are 30 dB electronic. Those over plugs with the volume turned up are pretty effective. The Leights are much less expensive, the Pro Ears are more comfortable.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/howard-l...ff-nrr-30.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/pro-ears...-1p-black.html
Old June 9, 2017, 03:27 PM   #3
egd

FWIW, I just bought the Peltor Tac300 (maybe not the exact proper name) and I really like them. I had bought a set of electronic muffs some time back but did not like the way they cut off at the sound of a shot, so I went back to standard muffs. But, like you, I'm tired of not being able to hear people talking. The 300's are rated at 24db and they have a 500 model rated at 26db. The Tac line is a new product introduced at SHOT show this year. I haven't worn them around anyone shooting high powered rifles though, but I think they would work fine. Especially with foam plugs also.
Old June 9, 2017, 08:20 PM   #4
TJB101

I second the Howard Leight Pro model. Not the sport version though. Those with foam or silicone plugs are perfect.
Old June 18, 2017, 12:41 PM   #5
Dirtbag

I bought what I thought was Howard Leight impact sport muffs on Amazon, I really wanted to try electronic muffs out. I put them on and was not happy with the performance shooting an AR outside, I sent them back for a refund. A couple months later Amazon sent me an email saying that the muffs I bought were knock offs and they gave me a gift card code for the amount that I payed even though they had already refunded me. So apparently now its possible to buy knock off's on Amazon. I will be looking into another set but after much reading I will buy a higher DB rated set.
Old June 25, 2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Jeffm004

https://www.cedhk.com/electronic-ear...9c88ba5e183a24

If money is no object....
Old June 25, 2017, 07:55 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
So apparently now its possible to buy knock off's on Amazon.
Way more than half the stuff you buy from Amazon isn't actually shipped from Amazon.so knock-offs are a possibility
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 26, 2017, 11:04 PM   #8
hdwhit

Quote:
Dirtbag wrote:
So apparently now its possible to buy knock off's on Amazon. I will be looking into another set but after much reading I will buy a higher DB rated set.
Yes.

I received a set of Howard-Leight that were actually genuine, but after using them, I went back to a paid of foam-filled ear-muffs that do a very good job for me.
Old June 27, 2017, 10:38 PM   #9
Chainsaw.

I ran the howard leight sports in unison with silicone plugs this weekend for a rifle class, 600 rounds each out of ten rifles and I never felt my hearing was suffering and I could turn the volume up to hear every word the instuctor said. Worked great.
Old June 28, 2017, 02:07 AM   #10
AzShooter

Pro Ears are the best. But I also like the Howard Leights. My Pro Ears are about 15 years old and are still working very well. I lend my HLs to friends that come to the range with me.