The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 21, 2017, 10:21 AM   #1
MikeGoob

Can you get a good gun belt on Amazon?

Amazon is coming up with all kinds of belts. Few that I can tell are made for holsters. Have you ever had any luck getting a nice gun belt off amazon.com?
Old June 21, 2017, 10:53 AM   #2
HiBC

First,make your search "gun belt".
I just ordered and received a "Hanks"brand belt.
I chose Hanks based on the very positive discussion about them here on TFL in another thread.
I had never heard of them,otherwise.I'm quite happy.
The belt arrived very quickly,and Hanks customer service has sent me a few e-mails that demonstrate they are quite concerned that I am a happy customer,and they will back that up.

Of course,read the description to see that it is the type of belt you want.If it is,order with confidence.Its the good stuff.

There are also the Wilderness instructor rigger type belts.

There are others that I can't say much about as I have no experience with them....but there is other good stuff.

You might review this thread:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...=585404&page=2

Last edited by HiBC; June 21, 2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old June 21, 2017, 12:11 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Amazon is mostly about brand name stuff. However, like HiBC says, search for 'Gun Belts' or a brand name.
Making a gun belt isn't difficult. Hardest thing about it is finding a decent buckle.
Old June 21, 2017, 01:05 PM   #4
GarandTd

Beautiful thing about amazon is they make it really easy to return things if you're not completely satisfied. They're customer service is pretty good.
Old June 21, 2017, 02:03 PM   #5
Hawg

I got my 16 oz Bullhide belt off Amazon.
Old June 21, 2017, 03:58 PM   #6
MikeGoob

Yeah its about finding the right combo buckle and durability. I like those hanks belts but can't really wear something 1/4" thick. There was a lot of mall ninja stuff when I searched before but it seems the search results change from time to time...
Old June 21, 2017, 04:14 PM   #7
zincwarrior

Or just orer directly from the makers.
Beltman, Comp Tac, Galco, to name a few off the top of my head.
Old June 21, 2017, 05:39 PM   #8
deserted

A few years back I got a couple sides of heavy 1/4" cowhide. Had the wild idea I'd build a saddle, hehehe. So far, I've made a couple of saddle scabbards that will, I'm sure, last for hundreds of years with a little attention. Two full-flap cavalry holsters for Single Sevens, with another open-top in the works, also guaranteed forever. That 1/4" stuff makes great, stiff, sturdy belts, as well. As others have said, finding buckles that will hold up to cranking on a belt that's a quarter-inch thick is challenging. I have one commercial gun belt, carved and dyed, nice and stiff with a metal liner I use for formal occasions (one wedding in fifteen years) I got at a gun shop in Loveland, CO. I've since quit smoking and grown out of that belt. Sigh.
Belts and holsters are incredibly easy to make with tools you most likely already have. I like to leave mine plain, as if I get to stamping and carving it just looks hokey and amateurish. No dyes, either. Over years of use and judicial applications of Black Rock, the leather takes on a natural mellow glow that just can't be duplicated with dyes and colors. I have a holster, my first one, made in 1974, still in use with a Colt NF Buntline it was made for. Carried that sucker for decades and miles and miles. The pattern for that first one has served to cut out many more. I mean, if I can do it...
Old June 21, 2017, 08:44 PM   #9
JoeSixpack

What type of belt do you want?

I have been using a Uncle Mikes renforced instructor belt.

It's kinda like the wilderness instructors belt but cheaper.
I don't think it's "climb" worthy like the wilderness belt but it's quad stitched and stiff, and about half the price.

I've been nothing but happy with mine for the last 5 years and is still going strong.
I bought mine from Optics planet which at the time was the cheapest source.. but Im fairly sure they're on amazon too.

Should be no more then 30 dollars.
Old June 21, 2017, 08:49 PM   #10
MikeGoob

Just black leather and durable. I'd prefer to get it off amazon.

I have a galco one that lasted a few years just fine but the black is wearing off and its getting a weight-induced bend around the middle. You know the bend.
Old June 21, 2017, 08:58 PM   #11
JoeSixpack

ah ok, you probably wont want any type of riggers/instructors belt like the wilderness or U.M I talked about.. they're (I think always) nylon type.

I don't have any experience with leather gun belts.
I use to use thick dickies leather belts, and they actually work ok, But never got more then 2 years out of them before they broke down and got to soft to wanna use.
Nice thing about nylon is it's basically maintenance free.. nothing to wear off, it shrugs off moisture, etc.
Also one of the reasons I prefer plastic holsters over leather.

I've heard good things about Hanks, But not sure if they're on amazon, and It sounds like you already looked at those anyway.

If you want something thin and still stiff look for one that has a plastic or sometimes even metal stiffening band.

The U.M I wear is 2 strips of nylon with a plastic band in the middle, nylon normally being fairly soft most of it's stiffness comes from the plastic band and it makes a hell of a difference.
Old June 21, 2017, 09:02 PM   #12
MikeGoob

Thanks guys---this place is a great resource!
Old June 22, 2017, 08:42 AM   #13
JWT

I get just about everything from Amazon (Except guns or ammo, of course) They make it very easy to return if you're not satisfied. And they have a huge selection including many brand names.
Old June 25, 2017, 08:26 AM   #14
DC_P

I have two of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My review is the one under the name of Laura Holt. Based on other reviews it seems 511 had some good and bad batches. The good one is very nice and has been great (still has that nice leather smell). The 'bad' one I just use for range practice and it works fine in terms of support and comfort but the finish is coming off under the holster.
Old June 25, 2017, 09:07 AM   #15
Kreyzhorse

The Beltman makes excellent gun belts that will last for years. They are not cheap, but they will out last several cheap belts saving you money long term.

The Wilderness instructor belt is also excellent.
Old June 25, 2017, 11:04 AM   #16
g.willikers

I only have one actual gun belt.
It will outlast me, for sure.
It was made by a harness maker craftsman at a reenactment.
If you want to see what you're buying before hand, find a harness maker in your area.
Any stable or dealer in saddles can probably recommend one.
My Grand Pappy was a harness maker in his youth, so that's where I would go if my belt ever got legs and walked away.
Plus it's more fun to visit places like that in person.
Old June 25, 2017, 11:35 AM   #17
Ridgerunner665

Galco
Old July 1, 2017, 08:44 AM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

I bought a Galco 1 1/4" wide dress belt that can support a firearm, spare mags, radio and cuffs.
Old July 1, 2017, 08:51 AM   #19
roashooter

anyone else notice that "Amazon" no longer offers brass for reloading hand gun ammo