The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 15, 2017, 02:31 PM   #1
zipspyder

7mm-08 Ruger American Rifle

Ok, did some research since I'm getting older and want a little less recoil that what I'm currently using and decided on a 7mm-08 Ruger American rifle, mainly because I got a great deal on the Ruger.

Long story short man does that thing have a bark to it using Remington 140GR core lokts. I mean it kicks harder than my .308 with 200gr NP loads. I filled the butt stock with foam and added a bipod for shooting so it weights about 8ish lbs. Does anybody else have any recommendations? Might have to add some lead to it. I was thinking of a aftermarket wood stock but those are dam near the cost of the rifle itself?
Old June 15, 2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Paul B.

"Long story short man does that thing have a bark to it using Remington 140GR core lokts."

What kind of hearing protection did you use when shooting that rifle? I've shot the Remington Model 7 a few times in 7-08 and recoil is quite mild. Let me guess, you have a short barrel on that rifle, say 20"?

Long story short, back in 1973 I bought a Remington M660 with 20" barrel. That thing flat out kicked the snot out of me. Even a restock to a full length Mannlicher stock was no help. My kids bought me a set of hearing ear muffs and then time I shot that rifle? OMG! what happened to the kick? I only bring this up because you commented on the loudness of the rifle.

I don't have a 7-08 at this time but do have a rifle in 7x57 Mauser that I load to 7-08 velocity. I wear muffs with all my shooting these days as I'm aabout deaf in my right ear and the left is barely hanging on. I even wear the muffs while hunting for three reasons. They protect what's left of my hearing,enable me to hear game moving around or instructions from my guide if on a guided hunt and last but not least they keep my ears warn when it's 6 above zero on a hunt. Anyway, check out what you're using to protect your ears. Might just be the same problem I had when I first got that .308 way back in "73".
Paul B.
Old June 15, 2017, 07:21 PM   #3
jmr40

There simply isn't enough difference between 7-08 and 308 to matter. Assuming equal weight rifles the difference in recoil is splitting hairs. Same with down range performance. The 7-08 is a little better on paper, at 500 yards it'll have about 30 ft lbs more energy and drop about 1" less. I can't justify having both, but could be happy with either.

What you are seeing is a stock that just doesn't fit you. It ain't just about the weight, and adding more won't make much difference. I have a Kimber 308 that is over 2 lbs lighter than your 7-08, and recoil is very manageable because the stock fits me.

You start seeing enough recoil reduction with 260 or 6.5 Creed to make a difference. And no game animal will ever know the difference. I have both 308 and 6.5 Creed rifles in the Ruger American Predator. The heavier barrel combined with the low recoil of the 6.5 makes for a very soft shooter. There is nothing in the lower 48 I'd not hunt with either. The 6.5 Creed essentially matches 270 beyond 200 yards.

Winston Churchill
Old June 15, 2017, 07:32 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My 7mm08 is a 700 Ti, total weight about 6.5 pounds with scope, ammo and sling. Good recoil pad; it's no recoil pain at the bench. In the field, zero problem.
Old June 15, 2017, 07:52 PM   #5
zipspyder

It's a 22" rifle barrel not a short 20" youth one. The recoil does not hurt it's just sharper than I thought. It has a pretty good stock recoil pad as well. I'm going to remove the bipod and just shoot using bags. I banged a finger on my hand pretty good against a sharp part of the bipod on one shot so I remember that the most. I've come across some other suggestions to try.
Old June 15, 2017, 08:13 PM   #6
ThomasT

Quote:
Long story short man does that thing have a bark to it using Remington 140GR core lokts. I mean it kicks harder than my .308 with 200gr NP loads.
I have a Remington model in 7-08. One of the early wood stocked models with 18.5 inch barrel and its kicks as much as my buds .270 shooting 150gr loads from the .270 when I am shooting full power 140gr loads from the 7-08. Buts its a really nice rifle to carry around at just 7.25 pounds with a 2x7 scope on it.

I have been loading some Sierra 120gr loads a little less than max and a 15 year old girl used it to kill 4 deer. And thats a small 15 year old girl that stands 5'2" and weighs about 100 pounds.

One time I bought a Remington carbine with a 20" barrel ( I stupidly sold) and it hammered the crap out of me with 150gr factory loads. Then I bought some military surplus and it was even worse. Some on the forums told me I was wrong. A .308 doesn't kick. Well it kicked. After all it is trying to duplicate a 30-06 and do it by using a faster burning powder with a sharper peak burning rate.

On the other hand I have two 7x57 rifles and they are easy to shoot with modern loads and 154gr bullets. And one of the 7x57s is a Remington Mountain rifle that weighs 6.25 pounds unscoped.

I shoot BP rifles in 50 and 54 caliber and those aren't too bad at all. Even the Great Plains rifle with the steel buttplate from hell.
Old June 15, 2017, 08:38 PM   #7
Pathfinder45

I would suggest using a slip-on recoil pad. Your 7mm-08 is a lot of power for a very light-weight rifle, so it's going to kick as hard as a 30-'06 in a heavier rifle would.
I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is closer to the 25-06 than it is to the 270 Winchester. the 6.5 mm cartridge that most closely matches the 270 Winchester is called the 264 Winchester Magnum. There are two others that I know of that also come very close, namely the 6.5 Norma and the 6.5-06. The Creedmoor has been referred to as, "the 260 Remington done right". I think it's got a lot going for it, but it's no 270 Winchester. I bet it would fit nicely into a Savage 99 action.
Old June 15, 2017, 08:43 PM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
I filled the butt stock with foam and added a bipod for shooting so it weights about 8ish lbs.
What kind of "foam" would significantly increase the weight of the rifle? Seems to me adding lead shot or something heavier than foam would be the way to go. What am I missing here?
Old June 15, 2017, 09:55 PM   #9
CarJunkieLS1

A slip on recoil pad would be the easiest cheapest way to reduce recoil. Another option is to reload your own ammo with a 120grain bullet at ~2700fps...VERY deadly on deer and easy on your shoulder.
Old June 15, 2017, 10:18 PM   #10
ShootistPRS

Recoil is increased or decreased by modifying the weight of the gun, the weight and velocity of your ammo and the amount and makeup of the recoil pad. Your posture can affect the felt recoil as can the fit of the rifle.
To reduce recoil adding lead shot in a metal tube to the butt stock can really help. There are also commercial recoil absorbers that you can buy to install in the stock. One of the best recoil pads out there is the "Limb Saver". Having it fit to you as well as the rifle is better than just buying the pad and installing it. Posture; I'm not your mother but I will tell you truthfully that if you are shooting from a bench and are hunched over the rifle it will kick a lot harder than if you are sitting with your back erect. I always have to lower the seats to get my back vertical at the benches because I use a fore-end rest that doesn't lift my gun high enough to keep my back straight. Your back, in a vertical alignment, can react to recoil with less jarring and pain than if you are hunched over your gun.
You can try any of these as your wallet allows but the one that costs nothing is a great first step.
Old June 15, 2017, 10:47 PM   #11
VoodooMountain

Rifle weight is the most proportional factor and also, there is very little difference between 308 and 7mm/08.

The American is light. Put a lead filled sock or rockite in the stock.
A good slip on pad works well as does the past pad.
Old June 15, 2017, 10:50 PM   #12
ThomasT

Quote:
Another option is to reload your own ammo with a 120grain bullet at ~2700fps...VERY deadly on deer and easy on your shoulder.
Exact same thing I suggested in post #6. And shootistPRS is dead on on keeping your back straight. Get away from the bench and go out in the field where you can practice shooting from a field position and I bet 75% of your recoil problem goes away. And you don't need lighter bullets to do it either.
Old June 16, 2017, 10:09 AM   #13
zipspyder

Foam adds no weight just helps make it sturdy in the buttstock. A lot of people recommend it. Pretty much any expandable foam for filling cracks. Might absorb some recoil but can't prove it by me. Take off the recoil pad and they have a small piece of Styrofoam in there about a 1/8 size of the empty space in it. Wanted to keep it light as possible but I might have to insert some lead strips into the foam to help. Keep in mind it's an entry level bolt action gun at a good price so I expected what I got.

I've got some recoil managed Remington 140's coming so I will try that. I can shoot the gun the way it is with regular ammo, I was just surprised the first time shooting it.

Thanks for the help guys. I wanted to stick with the 140's if possible to be consistent and reloading is an option if it comes to that. The forearm grip is kind of slippery and was concerned about pounding my fingers/knuckles into the bipod as well but I think I'll just remove it.

Below is almost exactly what I'm using. It has a good recoil pad already.

Last edited by zipspyder; June 16, 2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old June 16, 2017, 10:29 AM   #14
Mr. Hill

Yeah remove the bipod and shoot from bags; your posture with the bipod could affect the felt recoil.
Old June 16, 2017, 11:25 AM   #15
T. O'Heir

Any 6.3 lb. rifle is going to have heavier felt recoil than one that weighs more. Foam doesn't add much weight. Wood or laminate will. $144.00 will buy a nice laminate stock from Boyds.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAS...pe=04&Finish=1
Old June 16, 2017, 11:36 AM   #16
kraigwy

Does it have to be a 7-08? Its a nice round but you mention recoil. Ever think about the 6.5 CM. It will do anything the 7-08 will, but with less recoil.

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. Wanted a light rifle for deer/antelope. Found out that little RAP shoots as good as my wife's Ruger Precision in 6.5 CM. So close in fact after my wife tried my RAP I had to buy her one (in 204 Ruger though).

Regardless whether you go with the 6.5 CM or the 7-08, the Ruger Rifles are threaded for a Brake. You'll see a huge reduction in recoil with a muzzle brake.

My wife even had me put one on her 204 RAP. It eliminates all muzzle whip in that little rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 16, 2017, 11:45 AM   #17
zipspyder

@ T.O'Heir, yup that is an option but holding off for now.

@ kraigwy I was focused on the 7mm-08 and did overlook the 6.5 CM. Are you sure the American rifles are threaded, I didn't think these entry level ones were? There is a clamp on one you can purchase.
Old June 16, 2017, 12:22 PM   #18
Old Stony

I've been shooting an American in 6.5 Creedmore quite a lot, and it seems like very mild recoil to me. I shoot the 123 Hornady's out of it and it has accounted for a fair amount of deer and hogs so far. It is threaded at the muzzle, but I haven't bothered to do anything with that so far. Consistent 1/2 inch shooter from the bench and a pleasure to shoot.
Old June 17, 2017, 02:27 PM   #19
Don Fischer

This is odd. First time I have heard one bad thing about recoil in a 7-08. In equal weight rifles I would think the recoil in the 7-08 would be less than the 308 for no other reason than lighter bullet's. have you considered a wood stock? It should add weight. The craze for light rifle's sound's like it backfired this time.
Old June 17, 2017, 02:51 PM   #20
603Country

If you like the 7-08 and the 140 gr bullets, you can take up reloading and just load down a bit. Or, get someone else to load ammo for you. Or, as someone suggested, just go to a lighter bullet. In my 260 I shoot 100 gr Nosler BT's and 120 gr BT's, and there is a noticeable increase in recoil with the 120's, though recoil is still less than full power loads in my heavier 270 with 130 gr Noslers.

So if you don't want to reload, try the 120 gr bullets in your 7-08. The deer won't know the difference.
Old June 22, 2017, 09:33 PM   #21
dvdcrr

I had a Rem 700 Classic 7mm-08 and that thing painfully dug into my shoulder with each shot from a bench. I feel your pain.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old June 22, 2017, 10:14 PM   #22
ThomasT

Getting off the bench and out in the field can make a world of difference. I can shoot some heavy kickers far more from a field position than I can the same rifle and load from a shooting bench.

I like to sight in at the bench and then go practice from unknown ranges and shooting positions like I would do on a hunt. Its fun and teaches you a lot about your rifle and yourself. And recoil pain just goes away.

I used to be on a lease that had a small hill that overlooked a large plowed field and it was surprising how far away you could hit a dirt clod and only guess at the range. If a coyote would have walked out as far as 400 yards away it would have been an easy shot. But that was years ago and after a lot of practice. I am not sure I could do it today. Sigh.
Old June 23, 2017, 02:32 PM   #23
zipspyder

Yup I don't feel any kick when I take shots hunting. I'm pretty immune to recoil it was just the surprise of owning such a light rifle. I've decided to use a muzzle brake anyway. I just don't like the thought of using recoil managed ammunition.
Old June 24, 2017, 10:36 AM   #24
taylorce1

If you don't want to spend the money to get your muzzle threaded and a brake added try a Past Recoil pad. if recoil isn't an issue when hunting, this will fix the issue while shooting from the bench. Brakes are very effective tools, but they do add a lot of muzzle blast which can lead to flinching and other issues at the bench.
Old June 24, 2017, 11:00 AM   #25
tobnpr

Brakes are a better solution; reduces recoil (which is the point of the entire "exercise")- while adding only ounces, not pounds- to the rifle. Added benefit of reducing muzzle rise keeping you on target.

Not "friendly" to those on adjacent benches because of the blast, but I've never spoken to a shooter that found it affected his ability to hit what he's aiming at...

Threaded muzzles are preferable- but if cost is a consideration (I charge $100 to thread/install a brake, which is about average), consider a clamp-on such as this one from Witt Machine. Quality clamp-ons will not come loose if correctly installed, and monitored periodically. I have a Kahntrol on a 10 year old 7-08 that hasn't budged since it was put on a decade and several thousand rounds ago.

You do need a mike or calipers to accurately measure for them.

http://wittmachine.net/index.php?mai...f5qu2jbhdqdj12
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Last edited by tobnpr; June 24, 2017 at 11:07 AM.