The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 19, 2017, 02:18 PM   #1
rpseraph

Help me pick an accurate round.

Hello TFL,

18" SS barrel, 223 Wylde
1:8 twist

I am planning on going to the range and shooting some groups with various loads, but I am not sure which loads to bring with me! I have read that for 1:8 I am looking for heavier loads, but could I get some suggestions? This will be for coyote hunting, 300 yards and in... so if any varmint loads would be a big bonus! Brand and bullet weight would be awesome. Thanks!
Old June 19, 2017, 02:51 PM   #2
ligonierbill

Here's mine: 50 Nosler BT/26.4 TAC/CCI 450/3,257 fps/Std 5.7. Shoots inside an inch from a White Oak Arms 20" 1:8 varmint barrel. White Oak has their own version of a Wylde chamber. You only need heavy bullets to carry for long range target shooting or plunking Bambi.
Old June 19, 2017, 02:58 PM   #3
rpseraph

I should have mentioned... I am not a hand loader. I can infer from your handloads, so I'll take what information that is offered, but if you have a favorite factory load, that would be ideal.
Old June 19, 2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Don Fischer

223 Wyled? Who make's factory loads for it?
Old June 20, 2017, 09:07 AM   #5
rpseraph

Don 223 Wylde chambering is a happy compromise between 223 and 556, it can shoot both reliably.
Old June 20, 2017, 09:12 AM   #6
ligonierbill

If I'm shooting factory, it's whatever is cheap. Just get a variety of "premium " ammo and try 'em . Be aware that commercial .223 varmint loads may run a little slow in your AR. They are designed for longer barrel bolt action .223 chambered rifles.
Old June 20, 2017, 09:19 AM   #7
themalicious0ne

Many of the varmint loads are lighter weight.

77gr seems to do very well out of my 1:8 18" 223 Wylde. I would look at Hornady 75 or 77gr. I also like Asym, black hills, CDC, IMI. Be fully aware however many factory rounds with 68-77gr are expensive.

However, 1:8 twist is pretty good at stabilizing most bullets. You may want to just try whichever you prefer. I would assume you will still be able to achieve plenty of accuracy out of lighter varmint rounds. If you are looking for the 1 most accurate load, maybe it would be heavier bullets but every barrel is different and just because it is a wylde with a 1:8 twist doesn't mean it cant shoot amazing with lighter weight bullets.
Old June 22, 2017, 03:10 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

but every barrel is different

This is why there is no guarantee,

Ammo sold as "Match" ammo is expected to be more accurate than "standard" ammo. Will it be, in YOUR gun? MAYBE. Probably, but there's no guarantee.

What performs excellently from my rifle may do well in yours, odds are good, but it could shoot like crap, and the only way to know is to shoot it, in your rifle. Most guns are pretty similar about most things, but examples of both ends of the bell curve are out there, and the only way to know if your rifle is like most of the rest, or exceptionally good, or bad with any given load is to shoot it.

There's no shortcut for that, sorry.
Old June 22, 2017, 03:52 PM   #9
rpseraph

Thanks for the suggestions/advice everyone. I was hoping to get it narrowed down to 3-4 factory loads I could buy and group and see what the gun likes... but we'll see if its that easy!

I will go buy some supposedly 'match' ammo and shoot some groups and see what's what.

I will say that with 55gr bulk federal ammo, the fun is sub-MOA, so I am not too worried, but I want to see what it can do I'll post some pictures when I get out there to try it