The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 16, 2017, 04:37 PM   #51
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Just get it back to people who know what they're doing.
Denis
I will, next time the spring pops out.
Old June 16, 2017, 07:09 PM   #52
dgludwig

Quote:
Hopefully the OP doesn't own a BMW and attempt to take the fan off (reverse threads to prevent unscrewing during use, just like the NAA and S&W). It'll be even worse if he tries to change the chuck on his electric drill, everyone of those stupid drill design engineers used reverse thread screws on the retaining bolt.
For their own "engineering" reasons, older Chrysler-made cars used left-hand threads on wheel lugs from the hub on one side of the car (forget which) and right-hand threads on the other side of the car. If you didn't know any better (I didn't ), you could get a hernia of the bicep while trying to change a flat.
Old June 16, 2017, 08:37 PM   #53
amd6547

I owned a 22mag NA mini for a while. Mine had a short, thin "forcing cone" from the barrel towards the cylinder...it was as thin as a finger nail.
Within the first 50rds, a chunk blew off at the 12 o'clock position. Now, the hot gases were directed at the top strap.
I had to send the little thing in to NA on my dime.
They had it for a month before I called and asked it's status. I was told they would get to it when they could.
Called back two weeks later. This time they were downright rude, but they did finally send my pistol back with a new barrel installed...two weeks later.
The customer (dis)service left such a bad taste that I immediately sold it at the gun show. I'll never own their products again.

I bought that mini because I needed a small gun due to my job situation at the time...ended up changing to a Beretta 950...a much better solution to my carry needs back then.
Old June 16, 2017, 08:50 PM   #54
Dave Chuppa

I worked in a few Gun Shops for about 15 years. I think I have only herd of 2 or 3 that had to be sent back for repair. One of them my friend found while working on a garbadge truck. Someone aperantly took it apart. It was in pieces parts. He tried to put it back together but it didn't work. He sent it in and they fixed it. As I remember he paid shipping and that was all.
Old June 16, 2017, 08:59 PM   #55
franco45

Quote:
North American Arms = GARBAGE!
Quote:
One of them my friend found while working on a garbage truck. Someone aperantly took it apart. It was in pieces parts. He tried to put it back together but it didn't work.
There you go the op was right.
Old June 16, 2017, 09:02 PM   #56
DT Guy

I wonder if there are private forums where gun manufacturers go to post stuff about customers...

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old June 16, 2017, 10:01 PM   #57
roashooter

Quote:
I wonder if there are private forums where gun manufacturers go to post stuff about customers..

now that theres funny.........
Old June 17, 2017, 01:13 AM   #58
Carmady

Quote:
For their own "engineering" reasons, older Chrysler-made cars used left-hand threads on wheel lugs from the hub on one side of the car...
The idea behind that is that when braking the nut will be "spinning into the threads" in a tightening motion, instead of spinning a loosening direction. While driving (not in reverse) both sides of the wheels are spinning with the tops going forward, although the left side spins ccw and the right side spins cw.

MG knock-offs are the same way.

I have a 1946 trailer (civilian Jeep thing) that also had LH threads on one side. I managed to break a 6-sided 1/2" drive socket before I figured it out.
Old June 17, 2017, 01:39 AM   #59
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Auto
From his description of cocking it while dragging the cylinder, I consider it most likely that the OP bent the spring by forcing it out of it's groove while holding the cylinder and trying to cock his gun. An undamaged spring with tension directed into the retaining groove will most likely make his gun 100% (as long as he doesn't hold the cylinder while cocking it) if he is capable of accomplishing it without further damage to his gun, as described in the link on Post #4.
I did not cock it while dragging the cylinder. When it first happened, it was when I had the hammer pulled back to the point where the cylinder was freely spinning, so I decided I'd spin the cylinder like I would with my 1858 New Model Army when it was on half cock.

Apparently, the NAA can't do that.

The other time that it happened was when I simple held the pad of my thumb LIGHTLY against the surface of the cylinder and pulled the hammer back just to feel the cylinder rotate under my skin.

Believe me, I'm not putting a clamp on the cylinder and trying to cock the hammer with a hammer.
Old June 17, 2017, 08:07 AM   #60
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthtellers
I did not cock it while dragging the cylinder. When it first happened, it was when I had the hammer pulled back to the point where the cylinder was freely spinning, so I decided I'd spin the cylinder like I would with my 1858 New Model Army when it was on half cock.

Apparently, the NAA can't do that.
You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4DQD4pW3RU

Pull the hammer back until the locking bolt drops clear of the cylinder and the cylinder will spin. Don't pull the hammer far enough, or pull it too far, and the locking bolt will be engaged with the cylinder notch. Trying to spin the cylinder in that condition will most likely damage something.

I guess you could also be trying to spin the cylinder backwards. That just occurred to me, not sure how the hand works on the NAA. It only has two clicks in the cocking mechanism, not 4 like a traditional Colt. If the hand is in constant contact with the cylinder then trying to spin it backwards is probably a pretty stupid idea. From the sound of it spinning, it probably is in constant contact.

I'm still trying to figure out whether you're incredibly mechanically inept or just trolling the forum.

Last edited by 45_auto; June 17, 2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old June 17, 2017, 09:58 AM   #61
jackmoser65

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out whether you're incredibly mechanically inept or just trolling the forum.
Is both an acceptable answer?
Old June 17, 2017, 10:46 AM   #62
roashooter

Quote:
Is both an acceptable answer?
good call....
Old June 17, 2017, 10:55 AM   #63
zipspyder

I learned the hard way with a pistol who's model name won't be posted. Went and shot it a couple times and figured I could do better. New gun, took it apart, the usual weekend pro that I am followed online videos as to replacing parts. Seemed easy and got it all together ready to shoot. Yup, it went as expected. I swore I did everything correctly yet would not fire. Pissed and moaned about the piece o crap brand and put it away. Pulled it out after getting some ideas and help from forums. Yup stupid me had a spring in backwards after further troubleshooting. Long story short totally my fault and learned not to judge any weapon or brand on individual experiences no matter what. That was many purchases ago.
Old June 17, 2017, 01:19 PM   #64
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_auto View Post
Yeah, that's what I did.
Old June 18, 2017, 09:39 AM   #65
gnystrom

I never read beyond the OP. I am only commenting on my dislike of posters that take out their frustrations with a company by condemning them in the title followed a long rant. If you have trouble, contact the manufacturer to see if they can solve your problem. Following that, come here to see if any of us can help. If nothing solves the issue personally, I would throw the problem into the scrap pile call it a bad decision, and move on.
Old June 18, 2017, 05:48 PM   #66
Soclosenotnear

Handled and sold plenty. We have an old freedom arms mini in the case right now for sale I wouldn't mind having. They've all been very nice and never had any problems.
Old June 18, 2017, 06:03 PM   #67
TruthTellers

I'm gonna retract what I said about the Guardians. I've never handled one and was talking out of spite for my current situation.
Old June 19, 2017, 07:43 AM   #68
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, some of the commentary in this thread is getting darned close to getting some people sanctioned.

I'm going to close this one before it gets out of hand.

Word of warning...

Think about what you're posting.

TruthTellers, congratulations on not rising to the bait.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread