The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 8, 2017, 11:31 AM   #1
David4516

Vintage Rifle Scopes

So I have a "sporterized" .30-40 Krag rifle. Pretty much no collectable value because it's not in original condition, but it's still alot of fun to shoot, and I might consider hunting with it (haven't been hunting since 2009 but in case I go again this might be a good rifle to take).

It's currently wearing a modern Bushnell 3-9X40 scope with a matte finish. This scope works fine but it doesn't look like it "fits" the gun. I know looks aren't that important but for some reason this just bothers me. I feel like a vintage gun should have a vintage looking scope, probably something with a glossy finish too.

I don't know much about older scopes. I'd like to find one on ebay or someplace similar that will have the right look/feel for this rifle, but also be functional. It doesn't have to be anything too fancy, I doubt I'll ever shoot this rifle much past 200 yards, but I do want something solid/reliable. I'm just not sure where to start. I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions as to what to look for, what to avoid, etc. I'm hoping for an older but functional scope, but would also be ok with a new scope that has a vintage look.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Krag_01.JPG (167.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Krag_04.JPG (143.9 KB, 42 views)
Old June 8, 2017, 11:36 AM   #2
Fla_dogman

Old scope's are fun to look at but not practical for hunting. I have an old steel Weaver from the 30's. Neat to talk about but it sets in the gun cabinet and a 2-7 sits on the rifle

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old June 8, 2017, 06:17 PM   #3
HiBC

There was a time when building milsurp sporters was mainstream. That one looks very nicely done.
It certainly can be enjoyed for what it is.

I understand your sentiments about period optics.

IMO,"period" would include the years when building milsurp sporters was in its day. You don't have to use a 1930's scope.That rifle could easily have been built in the 60's or 70's.The stock is tastefully done for scope use from about those years. Back in the early days,like in the 20's and 30's,fewer folks built scoped sporters.Most folks went with a lower comb and a receiver sight like a Lyman 48.I'm saying a 60's to 70's scope would be period to the build.

While I really like the Lyman Alaskan,it is rather sought after for CMP sniper rifles, so price is premium.and it has a 7/8 tube.Rings aren't easy.

I think you can get a nice 1 in tube good,quality scope in a Lyman All American. I have one I bought for a Rem 513T.The Lyman might be where I would start.

While I have no experience with them,by reputation,there are Unertl Hawks ans Falcons.

Old Weavers(1 in steel tube Weaver "K" series) have been doing their job a long time.At some point,some of the threaded rings that hold lenses in were changed from brass to plastic. I've seen the plastic ones crack.

The Denver Redfields were pretty darn good scopes.There might be some older Leupold-Stevens.
I've seem all of them on e-bay.
I could not PM you,here is an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Lyma...MAAOSwcgNZNCWX

Good luck!!

Last edited by HiBC; June 8, 2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old June 8, 2017, 07:07 PM   #4
jmr40

You can still buy gloss scopes. A fixed power Leupold would look correct on it. There are several problems with older optics. For one thing todays budget scopes have better glass than high end stuff from 30-40 years ago.

And while the glass may still be pretty decent the rubber seals on a 40 year old scope are suspect. I wouldn't trust a scope that old to still be sealed. One advantage of buying an older used Leupold is that they are one of the few, maybe the only, company who will repair or replace older stuff.

Winston Churchill
Old June 8, 2017, 08:00 PM   #5
Jim Watson

K3 Weaver would look good and still aim good, too.

Grr. Scope mount is Weaver. Use Weaver scope.

Last edited by Jim Watson; June 8, 2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old June 8, 2017, 08:25 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Winchester A-5 would also be a period correct scope. Good luck in finding one.
Old June 8, 2017, 08:55 PM   #7
HiBC

Gary,I saw 2 Win A-5 scopes with a quick e-bay search. This is a link to the lower priced one.
IMO,given the pre-existing weaver side mount/screw holes in the Krag,switching to the A-5 mounts would be an issue

The other Win A-5 was $895

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Winc...3D122511173209
Old June 9, 2017, 01:19 AM   #8
Pathfinder45

If it were mine, I would find a good, vintage Weaver K4 scope. There are a lot of them out there, and, while many of them have seen hard use/abuse, a lot of them are still good. They are made of steel and they are rugged. I paid 50 bucks for a decent one at a gun-show to put on a 22 rim-fire.
Another option is to eliminate the scope and put a vintage Redfield or Lyman receiver sight on it. At 61, my eyes aren't quite as good as they once were, but a good aperture sight still makes a huge improvement over open sights. I understand that some folks really need a scope. But a lot of us only think we do. I still shoot rather well with a decent peep-sight.
Old June 14, 2017, 12:33 PM   #9
Don Fischer

My favorite scope I have right now is a very old Denver Redfield, next is a 1-4 Redfield, same time frame. I've hunted with that old 2 3/4x about 40 yrs and it has never let me down. A fixed 4x would be a good choice too. I've got a very old Weaver K4 but don't have it on a rifle right now. Some day I'll get a rifle to put it on, very nice scope.

I see what your talking about it doesn't look right. I'm the same way. The 3-9's on my rifle's that have them are border line. The 2-7's look great. On a heavy long barrel 6.5x06 I have a 4 1/2-14 Nikon. look fit's well. The rifle is pretty big. The light weight rifles with big scope's look like the scope has a rifle mounted on it. I'm an old guy and pretty set in my ways.