The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 4, 2015, 07:13 PM   #26
rickyrick

Why did I imagine a Isis style machine gun mounted on a bicycle

I'd say 511 holster shirt or a fanny pack

Beware a 511 holster shirt won't keep a full sized beretta in lol

At work, I actually wear a holster shirt with a belly band kinda over the barrel and trigger area because I bend over a lot and the belly band keeps things steady
Old March 5, 2015, 08:31 PM   #27
Cosmoline

I've tried all kinds of approaches to this issue. I even had a mount for a rifle on the bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz1IdG928ns

Ultimately I abandoned keeping the firearm on the bicycle and went with a Maxpedition manpurse. I also found a shoulder holster worked well if you could keep your jacket from flying open and flashing it. Hip and waist holsters are annoying due to the constant movement of the hips and legs. And I didn't like the idea of landing on a SOB holster. The bag has been working great for me for years now, but you have to have strong manpurse discipline! Meaning no leaving the danged thing in restrooms.
Old March 9, 2015, 12:15 AM   #28
bamaranger

serious

To a serious road bike fan, anything mounted to the bike is a no-no, unless its a water bottle or two. Packs, pumps, all that is verbotten, unless you are a genuine, cross country tourer. "Its all about the bike" goes the saying. And "kit" the jerseys, helmet, , glasses, socks etc, get similar scrutiny. A fanny pack, or even a Camelback water bladder, is a culture faux pas. Just the way the serious riders are. Sort of like the gun culture....what fool would scope a PA/KY long rifle ? Yeah, I know, its been done, but it ain't right.

So road bike folks carry everything else in the multipocketed jerseys they wear, tubes, tools, snacks.....I don't see why a compact handgun can't go there too., inside some type of wallet holster to avoid printing too much.
Old March 9, 2015, 11:50 PM   #29
Clark

I am 63 here is 5 min of me with my old steel bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-S8ckrbOv4
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 10, 2015, 06:46 AM   #30
RC5129

When I ride, I occasionally wear a cycling jacket with a pocket clear across the back and a zipper on each end. It's meant to carry energy bars, etc in, so you can snack on the fly, but I bet it could be modified somehow. The problem is that it's verbal lightweight nylon, meant more for visibility and wind protection than warmth. But I wonder if you could sew an inner pocket in?
Old March 12, 2015, 02:33 AM   #31
bamaranger

allow me

This is not informational, but let me tell a story or two about bikes and guns.

I cycled with a gun as a teen, wanting to ground hog hunt, but no vehicle to take to get to the farm we had permission to hunt. Slung my grandad's vintage M88/.308 over my back and pedaled there, about 5 miles or so, with my trusty "English Racer" 3-speed. Gosh what if I had cracked up? The 88 was the only rifle I had with a sling.

About 10 years ago I was mtn biking back into public land to spring gobbler hunt.
Well before daylight, I was using a head lamp. I was way ahead of the crowd on foot. What a plan! Came to the creek crossing and carried on...heck I'd ridden across there a week ago. It'd rained a good bit since, but I never thought about it. What had been several inches deep was now several feet, and I went head over heels into the drink with the 870 on my back. Had to pour the water out of the barrel, and I was completely soaked. Hunted all morning, "on" several birds, but pedaled out empty handed. I walked the bike across the creek on the way out.

Finally, I'd been known to mtn bike into "bow hunt only" state land near home. Bungeed the bow w/ quiver to the handle bars, and hoisted the climbing stand onto my back with the pack straps. Onward! One night coming out I hit a limb and one of the arrows in the bow quiver came loose, and there were some anxious moments till I got stopped and re-thought the bow on the handlebars business????? I'd nearly gotten a broadhead (which I'd sharpened a few evenings before) thru the guts. The bow went on the stand, on my back. Yeah, ....that was safer....??

Funny now, stupid then.
Old March 12, 2015, 03:14 AM   #32
Clark

I have tried to deer hunt with a mountain bike and rifle on a sling.
It is like being beaten with a stick.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 28, 2015, 10:15 PM   #33
imabmwnut

Try pistol wear. I've got one of their units and it's like a back brace for lifting only with a pouch on the front. I cycle with mine often with a Ruger LCP
Old April 2, 2015, 09:44 AM   #34
axismatt

This might have been offered... I don't know because I couldn't keep reading this thread. Even though I spend 20+ hours a week on a bike, I've never felt the urgency to cc when riding. To each his own.

However, this is a place for helpful ideas, so if I did decide to carry, I might consider these:

http://lethallace.com/main.sc

Or, consider having a local seamstress sew a hip pocket onto a few of your biking shorts. There's not so much movement up high on the outside of your thigh when in the saddle. I don't think it would chafe, and if made of the same material, would be elastic and also conceal very well.

I bet that new Taurus CURVE would be a dandy little piece in this application.
Old March 16, 2017, 09:56 AM   #35
ConcealedCarryCom

Fixed Link

axismatt the link you shared for Lethal Lace isn't working. Here is an alternative... and the price is a little lower: Lethal Lace
Old March 18, 2017, 11:45 AM   #36
Snyper

Quote:
axismatt the link you shared for Lethal Lace isn't working. Here is an alternative... and the price is a little lower: Lethal Lace
It's a 2 year old thread.
Old April 16, 2017, 08:48 PM   #37
user11712

I use a small camera bag with a shoulder strap slung diagonally. Nobody's the wiser.
They come in all shapes and sizes and can be found at thrift shops for a couple bucks.
Old April 19, 2017, 09:52 PM   #38
MosinNOUGAT

what if you just strapped the holster to the frame of the bike? You could also attach your holster underneath one of your arms for a cross draw. I don't know how this would work, but I hope it helps!
Old May 1, 2017, 10:53 AM   #39
Equin

I'm not a "serious" cyclist, but I do both, mountain and road biking rides and events. When I decide to carry, I use a fanny pack designed for conceal carry. However, I don't wear it around my waist. I wear it diagonally across my shoulder "bandolier style" with the pack across my front. It fits perfectly fine, even when crouched over on a road bike. The only downside is that the particular pack I have is a bit difficult to unholster quickly when compared with a regular holster.

I've never tried a belly band, but it may be easier to unholster. Due to the high 100+ degree heat and humidity here in Texas, though, I've opted not to try a belly band right now. I may consider one for the cooler months when jogging, but for biking, I don't really do much of that in the colder winter months.
Old May 7, 2017, 09:44 PM   #40
Yung.gunr

Don't know if this is what you had in mind but I have this on my bike for when I ride. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits my PT709 and would likely hold my Springfield XD9. I know it's off body, and I don't normally carry off body, but I sweat like a maniac. I like it because I put my phone, keys, garage door opener and spare headlight batteries in the pockets on the other side. It's also good because it's out front closer to the handlebars. There are others closer to the seat that seem like it would be difficult to get to while riding.

I always just ride around my neighborhood, so getting off and taking it with me has not been something I've done.

Tags
bicycle , bike , carry