The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 29, 2017, 12:12 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Sanctuary Gun Cities/States

So, I'm wondering with all this talk about de-funding sanctuary cities for not reporting illegals to federal agencies for deportation, something that the progressives love, why can't we on the other side start a movement for sanctuary gun cities or states?

Here's what I'm thinking: If you have a suppressor that you built all by yourself, but didn't register it and pay the tax stamp, why should the local police arrest you when it's not illegal in your state to own an NFA item? What crime was committed? You didn't register it with the ATF? How can local police enforce a Federal law?

Local police aren't allowed to enforce federal immigration law, so they shouldn't be allowed to enforce federal firearms laws.

I see that Kansas has already figured that out. They have a law that says any firearm or accessory that was "Made in Kansas" and has such markings on it and never leaves the state of Kansas does not have to adhere to NFA regulations.

Let's get similar laws in our states on the books and then we won't need no stinkin' HPA.
Old April 29, 2017, 01:06 PM   #2
JoeSixpack

Ya and there is a guy who made suppressors "made in Kansas" and now his court case is headed to the supreme court (if they'll hear it)

So not sure we should be making our own NFA stuff (even if your state has such a law) just yet.. at least I ain't
Old April 29, 2017, 02:34 PM   #3
TXAZ

Great idea, but as JoeSixPack noted, 'don't be the test case'.

As to logistics, when a criminal is caught with an obvious NFA item or questionable gun, many agencies will hold the person and item in question and then call for an ATF agent to make the call and arrest if required.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 29, 2017, 05:17 PM   #4
dakota.potts

I don't think we want to end up in the same state as marijuana where it's technically illegal but generally OK as long as the Feds don't decide to come down on you. It might be a good law to have on the books for affirmative defense but I don't see it being generally good under the current state of government.

It would be within their purview to not enforce Federal laws and not aid Federal law enforcement seeking to prosecute violations, but they couldn't stop the Federal prosecutions altogether.

I think it's a risky gambit that would encourage some people to get into more trouble than they understand.
Old May 2, 2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Progressives and communists aren't really the topic.

Anway, in another thread - Frank Ettin pointed out the risk of local laws trying to supersede Federal laws. Doesn't work out well for firearms.

Most gun laws and marijuana laws are just tyranny infliction by two ends of the extremist slices of the political spectrum.
Old May 3, 2017, 05:08 AM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
.....They have a law that says any firearm or accessory that was "Made in Kansas" and has such markings on it and never leaves the state of Kansas does not have to adhere to NFA regulations......
And Shane Cox and Jeremy Kettler have been convicted in federal court in Kansas of violating the NFA.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 3, 2017, 06:38 AM   #7
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ettin
And Shane Cox and Jeremy Kettler have been convicted in federal court in Kansas of violating the NFA.
For all practical purposes, the interstate commerce clause means whatever the Federal Government says it is