The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2019, 04:52 PM   #1
Wilkster

Expert Advice

I have a service issue 308 which I handload but on the light side
I used some generic Hodgson data that I thought was ok but looked harder and found some better data. the generic data started at 43.7grs and better data started at 45grs . I loaded 147gr fmj and 42grs blc2 with fed210 primer in commercial brass mostly ppu some rem , coal 2.80”
Is this going to be a problem? 3grs of powder ? It’s just plinking load for 100yrds
Old February 26, 2019, 11:12 PM   #2
big al hunter

First, welcome to the forum.

I assume that a 308 service issue is a semi auto. Not sure if that light of a load will cycle the action reliably. If it causes jambs I would work it up a bit until it operates the way it should. Then add a half grain more for good measure.

I don't own any AR rifles, but I have dealt with other auto loaders. Shouldn't be very different.
Old February 27, 2019, 12:05 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to tfl!

I've got data for BlC2 ranging from 40gr starting to 44 max, and other data starting at 42 and maxing at 47gr. Different guns, have different tolerances, different brass makes a difference, everything makes a difference, so start low, just in case. Just because they got X with their stuff doesn't guarantee that you will.
Old February 27, 2019, 09:43 AM   #4
Wilkster

My real concern is it safe to shoot or is 42grs of blc2 to light ,its for a FNAR with a 18”
If not should pull the bullets or fire them off ?
Old February 27, 2019, 11:20 AM   #5
RaySendero

I too, reload.
I had some issues below recommended starting powder charges.
Since I do not go below the recommend starting charge.
Old February 27, 2019, 01:09 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Ball C2 is not one of the powders noted for getting squirrely when the load is slightly reduced. You just get a bit less...

Considering medium burn rate powders generally allow a fairly wide range of flexibility, I doubt your load (below someone's listed starting load, but above someone else's) will cause any kind of remotely dangerous situation, PROVIDED, its enough to send the bullet out of the barrel.

It may, or may not cycle your gun's action, but its highly unlikely to be dangerous.

I'd say fire one, or two, and see what you get. Then, go from there...
Old February 27, 2019, 01:52 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

42 grains of BlC2 is below minimum for a 150 grain(close enough. 3 grains of bullet weight won't matter.) jacketed bullet. The 43.7 grain you saw is for a solid copper bullet, not a regular jacketed bullet. Nor is it "generic". Use the Nosler BT data for a regular lead cored bullet. Just don't expect fabulous accuracy using a milsurp bullet.
Now, that being said, the regular Start load is 45.0. 1.3 grains under that is not going to cause any grief to whatever a "service issue" rifle is. And BlC2 is one of the original 7.62NATO powders. Works really well in .308. Regardless of the action type.
Old February 27, 2019, 08:52 PM   #8
Wilkster

Thanks guys for the info, I wanted expert advice and I think I got some , worst case scenario is that it might not cycle in my Rifle
Old March 1, 2019, 06:15 AM   #9
Wilkster

I think might just pull the bullets if they won’t cycle
Old March 1, 2019, 07:34 AM   #10
big al hunter

I would shoot a few to see first. If the load runs your gun, you have the low pressure easy on your gun load you were looking for.