The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Grey_Lion

3D printer files for ammo trays

I'd like to print up a bunch of ammo trays for .40 S&W and am looking for a good STL file source for those.

The front runner seems to be .40 Caliber Ammo Case (50ct.) by BHunter13 off thingverse as it's specifically for .40 and not a .40/,45 one size fits no-one design.

Specifically I want trays that will easily fit into a standard 50 cal ammo can in such a way that the long dimension of the tray fits sideways into the can easily.

Factory ammo BLAZER trays do this - but I don't buy blazer ammo any more.

Does anyone here know of other .STL files for ammo trays out there?

I may also print off the design by Parametric Ammo Case with Slip on Lid by AlbertP on thingverse just to see if it'd fit.

And lastly, I wouldn't mind full length ammo can trays with finger holes that totally filled the flat dimension of a 50 cal ammo can - but I haven't seen anything like that - or possibly custom fit trays for half the length of an ammo box.

I'll be playing with this in the coming months as I delve into 3D printing. As I come up with stuff - I'll post about it here if there's interest.
Old July 15, 2018, 12:52 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

I know not of what you seek.

However, it is not difficult to whip up a tray like that in a CAD program.
Rectangle. Fillet corners. Extrude to thickness. Two circles. Pattern and extrude the circles, or extrude and pattern, depending upon the program.
Export as 3D stl.

Download Fusion360, or whatever else you want to use, and start playing with it.
The tray is a really simple object to work on while learning, with the benefit of forcing you to figure out how to pattern/array. (Steep learning curve in some programs, but very helpful to know.)
Old July 15, 2018, 01:52 PM   #3
hounddawg

just for the heck of it I went to google and typed in "3d printer pattern reloading tray"

I am not into 3D printing myself but this Yeggi site seems to have about any pattern you need from trays to funnels, dippers and a bunch of other stuff

Your Search for "reloading tray" - 1,934 printable 3D Models

if you shoot at a commercial range or club you could do like I do and just walk by the trash cans and dumpster dive for the little plastic trays from store bought ammo

Last edited by hounddawg; July 15, 2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old July 15, 2018, 03:31 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I don't have a Blazer .40 S&W tray. Do you have a photo and some basic dimensions?
Old July 16, 2018, 11:19 PM   #5
Grey_Lion

11mm by 11mm by 20mm boxes in a 5 by 10 array for 50.... solid bottom - I thought they were blazer trays but perhaps not -

Attached an ideal example with curved corners - I don't want round cavities - I prefer the box type as shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ammo Tray.jpg (5.9 KB, 42 views)
Old July 16, 2018, 11:31 PM   #6
Grey_Lion

Heres a copy of the print stl file output for the tray I like.

As people will ask why print my own - takes a lot of time - costs $$$ - ah yes - BUT - I get exactly what I want in the colors I want. I'd like different tray colors for the different round types - gray for cast lead, copper for FMJ, black for JHP, and so on......

first real want for the 3D printer access I now have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ammo Tray2.jpg (12.1 KB, 29 views)
Old July 16, 2018, 11:40 PM   #7
Grey_Lion

here we go - finally found a reasonably clean picture online.

I cut heavy cardboard sleeves for the ammo tray and write the load specs on that - Sleeves get discarded when used - and my loads can never be mistaken for factory which is something I do out of habit for lots of different reasons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ideal Ammo Tray.jpg (18.2 KB, 39 views)
Old July 17, 2018, 12:14 AM   #8
ninosdemente

I don't have a 3d printer... but wish I did. I saw a couple of files that could have been useful.

Out of curiosity what does it cost you to make one tray and time frame?
Old July 17, 2018, 09:20 AM   #9
stephen426

Dumb question... Why not go "dumpster diving at the range or ask other shooters if they need their empty ammo trays? I'm sure part of it is wanting to try new things with the 3D printer, but there is a really easy and free solution to your problem. LOL
Old July 17, 2018, 10:11 AM   #10
ninosdemente

True.. that doesn't mean I'm going to get one though. Which is why I said out of curiosity only. This was meant for the person who already makes them. I like others, already have trays collected from bought ammo and at range.

Just like how people may buy firearm related apparel (t shirts) or graphics/signs... I as a graphic designer can make my own shirts and graphics. Might cost me a bit more or less but I make it to my own liking.

As grey_lion said, he doesn't care... his stuff is to his desire.
Old July 17, 2018, 06:02 PM   #11
Grey_Lion

I can't get the color, style, or number of ammo trays I'm wanting by scrapping through the range trash -

I don't have a cost yet - let you know once I start printing -

I am a member at Dallasmakerspace.org which has a good 3d printer lab amongst a good many other things. I like to make stuff myself to my design and taste.
Old July 17, 2018, 06:25 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
11mm by 11mm by 20mm boxes in a 5 by 10 array for 50.... solid bottom - I thought they were blazer trays but perhaps not -

Attached an ideal example with curved corners - I don't want round cavities - I prefer the box type as shown.
What are those dimensions referencing? Inside of the cavities? Outside? Center lines? What's the wall thickness? Overall length, width, and height?

Quote:
Out of curiosity what does it cost you to make one tray and time frame?
Each file and filament is unique, and I haven't done anything quite like the trays currently in the spotlight. But... My printer, with the filament that I run, would take an estimated 3-4 hours ... probably.
Total cost of filament is often laughable. I would be very surprised if one of those trays cost more than $0.65 in (my) filament. (I don't factor printer cost into prints. To me, that's like calculating reloading tool cost into every handloaded cartridge ... when I'd still reload/print anyway.)
It's just the time that kills you.
Old July 17, 2018, 11:35 PM   #13
Grey_Lion

wall thickness on the trays I have is 1.12mm
a .40 S&W round is 10.77 mm wide per CIP spec - so the 11x11 mm is a good estimate for the inner measurement of the cavities.

the 20 mm height is not a critical dimension - it can vary.

http://www.cip-bobp.org/homologation...-en-page66.pdf

Last edited by Grey_Lion; July 17, 2018 at 11:54 PM.