The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 29, 2013, 09:10 AM   #1
southjk

Range safety - what should I have done?

I was at the range with my daughter recently and had an incident happen that the more I think about it the more irked I am. Not overly mad because it's in the past but I keep thinking about what could have happened.

We had about an hour wait for a lane so we went into the restaurant to get a bite to eat. The restaurant has a wall of windows facing the range so you can watch the shooting and the entrance to the range is right by the entrance to the restaurant. From where we were sitting at the counter we could see the table where people would set their things down, get their hearing/eye protection on and enter. I see a man and his 10ish year old son getting ready. Dad has a semi auto rifle of some sort and is having trouble with it. He keeps working the action and looking like he doesn't know how to operate this gun but as he is doing so he keeps pointing it right at me and others in the restaurant. Mostly pointed at me. I was nervous but not sure if I should have shouted out to him or just gone over to him or told someone.

It was one of those things that you don't realize the severity of it until it was over. What should I have done?
Old January 29, 2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

I would have gotten up, gone back to the range and told someone in charge this guy needed instruction. But, I wouldn't have sat there looking down the muzzle of a gun in the hands of an inexperienced shooter.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Woody55

Ditto.

You would have been doing him a favor.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Pahoo

Next time !!

Quote:
What should I have done?
When you noticed the muzzle pointed at you and that little bell went off in you head, should have gone over and addressed the problem. Next time something like this happens, you and I will do the right thing. ..

When addressing muzzle control, there are times when our attention will be drawn to the breech or anything other than the muzzle. It's just too easy to forget. ...

Mind your muzzle and;
Be Safe !!!
Old January 29, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
North East Redneck

First thing is remove yourself and those with you from being downrange of the muzzle of the gun. Next, notify a Range Officer(s). Let them deal with the person. No need to get into a confrontation. I know I would be mad, not the time for me to confront the person. The officials at your range have a job to do, alert them to the problem and let them handle it.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 6, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Fire_Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East
The officials at your range have a job to do, alert them to the problem and let them handle it.
Sounds like the ROs weren't doing their job. It sounds like this Guy was doing this 180degrees from where he should have been. How can a range allow anyone to not have their barrel point down range? I would find a different place to shoot.

Are the windows bullet proof?

Sent from my CZ85 Combat
Old January 30, 2013, 06:43 AM   #7
MarkDozier

i have to disagree with most comments. You could ave run out there and let the guy knows. Most times folk go OPPS i messed up and thank you.
Now I can agree that if that does not work than tell an R/O. (I are one a 2 ranges)
Now we I am busy I do not have time to check on outside much if at all.
And it is YOUR responisibilty to maintain yourslef and others to the 4 COMMANDMENTS of firearme safety.
I understand what you are saying but you have to get a FAIL on this one.
Having said that i think the range needs a FULL review of thier safety procedures.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:26 AM   #8
zincwarrior

I'm back on the thought of a restaurant at a gun range. Its like seeing the lights of a big city for the first time.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Unspoken

Unfortunately getting muzzle flashed is an all too common fact of life. I've learned to always say something to the offender. I'd rather be thought a prick than get shot. Other shooters will appreciate it too, when they see you have concern for their safety.

Never rely on range officers to do their job. Your safety is in your own hands.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:25 AM   #10
southjk

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
First thing is remove yourself and those with you from being downrange of the muzzle of the gun. Next, notify a Range Officer(s)
It was a very short time the incident happened, maybe 30 seconds but to me it seemed like a very long time. By the time I could have found a range officer that guy would have moved on into the range.

Quote:
Sounds like the ROs weren't doing their job. It sounds like this Guy was doing this 180degrees from where he should have been. How can a range allow anyone to not have their barrel point down range? I would find a different place to shoot.Are the windows bullet proof?
I may not have been clear but this did not take place IN the shooting range area itself but in the building lobby area at the door that leads to it. He was getting ready to enter and checking his gun for some reason. Granted, he should not have had it out at all until he entered the range area. An employee did show up and show him whatever he was trying to do but that was after a LONG ~30 staring at the muzzle pointing in my direction. There was no window between us, just the opening to the restaurant.

Quote:
I understand what you are saying but you have to get a FAIL on this one
If this was directed at me, I completely agree. The next time I won't hesitate to get up and calmly ask them to please be aware of where you're pointing that thing.

Quote:
I'm back on the thought of a restaurant at a gun range. Its like seeing the lights of a big city for the first time.
Pretty good sandwiches too. 1776
Old January 30, 2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Dragline45

I am always wary of younger kids at the range, especially since a lot of parents have not taught them muzzle awareness. Ill often end up leaving after getting swept by the muzzle a few times. Once wat seemed like a 10 year old kid was holding a pistol in his hands sideways and accidentally let off a round missing everybody on the line by a few feet.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Oasis Serene

I had an older man that ran a range do similar to me across from the counter he was behind from me.

My son in law, his step father and I went to shoot at a new range to me. They had been members there for a while.

We are at the counter talking with a guy maybe 65-70 years old behind the counter. He was getting us set up for our shoot.

He is wearing a shooting vest all kinds of pockets. He decides to show off his bug gun in one of the vest pockets. Had some very colorful work done on the slide. Kind of like a rainbow. Sorry I forget the name of the work done to it.

As he is showing it in the palm of his hand to us. The barrel is pointed directly at my GUT the entire time.

At first I had this sick feeling to my stomach. But I fluffed it off while I was watching where his fingers where very carefully. And I like a dumb ass, ignored it and moved on.

After the shoot I was thinking back on it all.

Man I was so mad.

I can tell you, I won't be going back there again.

I am new to the scene and trying to condition myself to this kind of thing.

Safety first at all times.

I have been grinding the rules in my head every day, since I will have my CCW license soon.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 6, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:03 AM   #13
toddster

understand

Feel your pain. In your situation I would of moved my daughter and me to safe area, made all aware. Went and got a Range Officer or range personell and explained the situation. If none around, I would of walked "Politely" up to the individual and immediatly explained muzzle control and down range and asked if I could help. I would of expressed my concern and try and help educate the individual.
I was at my indoor range the other day. I had a friend I was coaching. As I stepped back and watched my friend, I noticed the lane next to me had a mand and woman. He was unsuccsefully trying to teach her to shoot. He started to move the pistol muzzle to the right. I immediatly called a "Cease fire"! Everyone else on the lanes, stopped. I stepped up and asked him to bench the pistol in a safe direction (down range). I stepped back and said all clear. I then introduced myself and explained why I called the cease fire, and asked if I could help. Of course at first he was upset and embarressed. But soon after talking with them and using a friendly and respectful manner, won them over and got to coaching them. Both was having a hard time since had little experiance and ended up helping them and keeping all safe. We became friends and I am meeting them next week to try and coach them some more.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Aberration

Safety is everyones responsibility. Not just the person with the cool hat.

Be a leader, take action, correct the problem and continue having a wonderful day. I wouldn't have gotten an RSO. I don't really see the need to make a scene or an issue out of it. You just quietly and politely address it.

Then the guy making the mistake is not shamed to the point of never coming back.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:42 PM   #15
srtolly1

Re: Range safety - what should I have done?

I shoot at an outdoor range and when you come in the drive the commandments are posted on a very large sign. No RSO present but it is a private range and everyone is expected to ne responsible and we all help newer shooters.

When I do go to other ranges I do the same out of habit and most appreciate the reminders.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Roland Thunder

On Saturdays, I avoid the local gun range where I live. That's when the "fun crowd" is there. Those are the ones that are bored and just looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon or evening show up. I prefer to go on Monday or Tuesday evening when nobody is there but the serious shooters
Old February 28, 2013, 08:22 AM   #17
BerdanSS

I've seen some very bad and downright scary behavior at our local public range.
Hate to say it but the ROs are completely worthless since the state stepped in and took it from them.

You have four options at ours.

1- Ignore it and keep shooting (I don't care for this option)

2- tell a RO about it (same as ignoring it)

3- Tell them yourself, having the possibility of getting into a big confrontation...which stupidly is the one and ONLY thing that apparently will get you kicked out and if they don't kick you out it will still have the same result as # 1 & 2.

4- Leave.