The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Barr

Interesting Loading Bench Ideas

Looking for neat ideas how you store things and/or how your bench is arranged. Will post pics tonight.
Old January 12, 2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Musketeer

My space is limited and I also have a 4 year old that plays in the basement where I reload. The solution came when my wife decided to toss her old microwave cart.

The very bottom of the cart as two swing open doors. In there I store primers and powder. Perhaps some other items like dies, tools and shell plates but specifically anything that can go BOOM. Just above that is an open area that I can store things like bullets, brass, and other items that I am not worried about.Above that is a flat table top. I drilled holes and mounted my LeePro 1000 to the top with a hole through the table top for the primers to drop through. I put a carboard box under the hole in that open area I mentioned before. Finally I throw a small sheet over it when not in use.

The whole thing is on wheels and can be rolled out of the corner and up and running in 2 minutes. When done I just put the whole primer tray and all other items away, lock it up and roll it into the corner. Loaded ammo goes in a locked cabinet I have.
Old January 13, 2006, 03:46 PM   #3
jsflagstad

I am interested here too

I am interested in bench layouts as well, as I am in the process of building one in my basement.

So far the 2'x6' bench with the 18" by 6' shelf above it is done.

I wired in an outlet below the bench for a tumbler and maybe a space heater. Also wired one on the bench along with a powerstrip. Picked up a set of the under-cabinet mini halogen lights (used in kitchens) and put them on the underside of the shelf. There are 6 lights in the pack, and they work pretty slick, but they are only 10w bulbs. I will probably upgrade to 20w bulbs as I could use a bit more light but they aren't too bad.

Still looking for more ideas...

JSF
Old January 13, 2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Russ5924

Been using a Microwave cart for a long time now just wish mine had the doors.But I put a bigger piece of plywood on top to bolt everything to.I bet you couldn't move it even with the wheels the loaded bullets and lead gets heavy.
Old January 14, 2006, 02:33 AM   #5
Robert M Boren Sr

Here's mine Just for a idea is all.
Old January 14, 2006, 03:43 AM   #6
Blue Heeler

Have a look at the pix in the Worst Loading Bench thread a few posts below here - especially cracked butt's bench.
Old January 14, 2006, 10:38 AM   #7
caz223

Yeah. There's an interesting *idea*.
Try to limit the torches and digital alarm clocks on your bench.
Old January 14, 2006, 11:43 AM   #8
pearson1662

Reload bench esthetics

Mr. Boren,
I would appreciate it if you would call my secretary and schedule an appointment to organize my reloading bench. It kinda looks like CrackedButt's but I've got a Skoal can and a spittoon on mine Might help me find my Neco concentricity gauge
Old January 14, 2006, 11:48 AM   #9
kingudaroad

So far I can keep everything except brass locked up in the black tool box. Kids can't get to it. Wife isn't thrilled but tolerant. Eventtually I will need more lockable space. Maybe a cabinet.
Old January 15, 2006, 12:00 AM   #10
tvick66

Like Kingudaroad I went the toolbox route. Sears had a sale on their rolling tool box bases for $80 and it has a bar that locks into place keeping the kids from opening the drawers. The bottom draw is deeper than their other models and can hold any of the 1lb. bottles that I have and the large top is nice for extra workspace.
Old January 15, 2006, 11:36 AM   #11
beardking

Here is what I did for my reloading bench. Basically the 3rd bedroom in my house has been converted to my den. That's where I build r/c planes, mess around on the computer, keep my photography stuff, and reload ammo. I have no kids or visitors that will be getting into stuff, so locking it up and hiding it doesn't really matter to me, so I just took over the closet and built my bench in there. If I really needed to, I could put the door back on to hide things, but where's the fun in that? Besides, this is the cleanest area of my "den" right now.