The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
old fart

N.e.f. Tracker ii slug gun quality?

i have a chance at a good deal at a local shop i think. they have a new nef tracker 2 slug gun for $139 down from the regular $209. the gun is brand new but old stock, it is a nef made in gardner mass. the store is selling the gun as they said they've had it a few years. is this a good deal?, i have been looking for a slug gun. is this a good gun? thanks
Old December 2, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not a gentleman's arm to be sure but a well made gun they are... And to some extent, these are the Contender of the shotgun world in that to some degree there are various barrels for each receiver class... $139 is going rate for an NEF baseline walmart shelf 12 gauge...

Brent
Old December 2, 2012, 10:53 PM   #3
jackpine

not a bad price and they are good shooters, buy it.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:07 PM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, "NEF" and "quality" shouldn't be used in the same sentence/thought - but they ARE decent deer-gettin' tools, and a very good value (more bang for your buck, if you'll pardon the pun).

Old December 4, 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
old fart

i have one more question and if the answer is what i need then i'm going to get it in the morning. i am on a very tight budget and have never been able to see giving $10 or more for 5 sabot slugs. i get the remington sluggers $9.47 for 15 of them, can i shoot the regulars slugs in the tracker ll ? and if so will it shoot them accurate?, my shots at deer will be under 100yds most shots at 50 or less. thanks

Last edited by old fart; December 4, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:38 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508080

Some folks in this thread getting good or better than good results putting "pumpkin slugs" thru a rifled barrel with great results...

Brent
Old December 7, 2012, 07:49 PM   #7
old fart

well i got good news then bad news, (GOOD NEWS) i went to get the gun today and the guy at the store said since the gun had been there awhile and the lighter guns don't sell good i could get it for $125otd WOW so i bought it. (BAD NEWS) i get it home load a slug in it and pull the trigger, the gun fires the breaks open and ejects the empty well i tried a second shell same thingi took it back and they gave me a refund. i liked it too, it handeled great if it just wasn't breaking down when shooting. the factory should have caught this. thanks