The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 10, 2011, 11:14 AM   #1
sicksixthsense

Who knows their flobert/parlor rifles?

I have had this strange little rifle around for a long time, trying to place a date and origin on it (as I do with everything) Came from one of my father's uncles (i think they used to mock-hunt each other with it around the camp after they were well into the bottle). It's like this one: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=71226

Mine, however, doesn't have any checkering. It also doesn't match that description exactly. The top of the barrel reads:
KABA "Spezial-Prazisions Karabiner Ges Gesch" and near the crown markings it is marked as the 6mm type- just plainly stamped "6mm". The serial number is in the 11,000 range. Those are the only markings on it. Is there any collectors value to these rifles? I may restore it and mount it on the wall.. but more like than not I would sell it for money towards a handgun.

Oh, by the way, I really like this forum. I frequented here often and decided to come out of the shadows to actually post something. I look forward to any replies (even if it's somebody razzing me because this information is somewhere on here- hey, I tried!
Old February 10, 2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Rifleman1776

Some of the old parlor rifles are highly collectible.
However, yours does not look 'old old'. It is interesting and should have some value but I can't help there. Not a great deal though, I suspect.
Old February 10, 2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Scorch

Most of the "parlor rifles" were/are inexpensive firearms made for purely recreational use, and were often in poor condition by the time they were brought to the US. Many were imported from Europe during the 1950s and 1960s, along with many other civilian arms. They are typically low-price low-powered firearms intended for occasional "social" target shooting, which was common around the late 1800s-early 1900s. I have seen a few that were absolutely pristine, mainly because they were in 6mm Flobert, like yours, and ammo is pretty much unavailable, so they were stashed away for another day and never turned over to the kids. However, many were fired with 22 Shorts or Long Rifle ammo and quickly damaged. Value is highly debatable, and tends to vary widely from buyer to buyer. Some folks think they're cute and will pay a fair bit for one, most shake their heads and walk away. They are a good example of a "curio".
Old February 10, 2011, 12:24 PM   #4
SDC

KABA comes from the retailer/wholesaler, KArl BAuer, who was located in Berlin between the wars; he bought guns from manufacturers all over Europe, but the "U" proof shows that yours was made in Germany. 6mm Flobert isn't available anymore, and this rifle shouldn't be fired with any other rimfire that will fit, because the chamber is oversized compared to 22 LR/Long/Short, and the case will split.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Hawg

The gun you linked to isn't a Flobert action. It appears to be a bolt action chambered for a Flobert cartridge. This is a Flobert style action.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=215783818
Old February 14, 2011, 02:05 AM   #6
sicksixthsense

it indeed is a bolt-action SF

Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't even know what to do with the damn thing anymore. I think I will disassemble it and box it up and forget it exists. Curio curio curio kills. Who wants a 3 lb. 6mm bb cap spittin' single shot?
Old February 14, 2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Quote:
The gun you linked to isn't a Flobert action. It appears to be a bolt action chambered for a Flobert cartridge.
In those days, Europeans called about any single shot rimfire a "flobert," just as they called any lever action rifle a "winchester" or any autopistol a "browning."
Old February 19, 2011, 10:44 PM   #8
walter in florida

32R Flobert

Buying Flobert"s is taking a chance, I bought one and wished I never did. Over paid and not considered a real firearm by many gun owners.

Warning: in 22R, use 22BB or 22CB ammo only. In 32R, do not use because there is no ammo that can be used with out blowing the gun up.

Sorry: I do not think I am being too safe.
Old February 25, 2011, 02:00 PM   #9
sliverflinger

Flobert/parlor rifles

I bought what was described as a rolling block 22. It turned out to be a Flobert rifle. Great looking but a wall hanger unless you can get the european ammo for it. I tried rem. CB caps in mine, and it blew the brass back past my head.As I said pretty but for me more hassle than it's worth( unless I run into the right ammo at a gun show).
Old February 26, 2011, 01:44 PM   #10
sicksixthsense

I hope I come across some ammo at some point. Seems like it'd be a blast to have a little outdoor parlor challenge with. Until then, it'll remain in the.. over in the.. yeah. Wherever it is.
Old March 2, 2011, 12:15 AM   #11
sliverflinger

flobert

DO NOT use US made cb caps they are a lot hotter than european ones.

Tags
6mm , antique , flobert , kaba , karabiner