The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 3, 2019, 06:30 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

What's your eyeglass setup for trap/skeet?

I wear progressive lenses and the middle of the lens is my mid range vision correction. But when I shoulder a long gun, I'm looking through the upper corner of the lens, which is long distance corrected.

I want a new set of glasses just for shotgun. For those of you in my shoes, do you have the entire lens for your dominant eye for mid range? Does that negatively affect the other things you do on the line/in the field?

Also, what do you recommend for eyeglasses as for style, brand, etc?
Old June 3, 2019, 08:40 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

All clay birds are beyond mid-range. You should be using the distance lens. I have all my clays glasses made with the optical "center" near the top of the lens and towards the inside. That's where I'm looking when I shoot at a bird with my head down on the stock. The only reason you'd be using mid-range is if you were trying to focus on the beads, and that's not where you should be looking. Focus on the bird and get your gun to hit where you're looking. There are opticians around who know how to make shooting glasses, ask around.
Old June 3, 2019, 10:23 AM   #3
Virginian

Haven't worn my multi focus contacts since my surgery, so for anything but reading I wear 1.75 power reading glasses. I have shooting glasses in that power also. Work fine.
Old June 3, 2019, 11:21 AM   #4
FITASC

I wear Randolph Rangers with a single vision scrip for distance (am nearsighted)
If you want to use a variety of colored lenses, look at their XLW version which you can utilize a scrip insert with regular lenses so if your eyes change, your colored lenses are still good, you just get a new insert.
Mine is their medium/dark purple - works great against mostly green background
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 3, 2019, 11:23 AM   #5
FITASC

DeCot's Hy-Wyd is another good brand.
Tom at Tx Shooter's Optical is excellent to deal with - describe your backgrounds and he can help with what color - and if you decide you do not like a color and want to switch it out (non-scriup lenses) he will do that
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 20, 2019, 02:21 PM   #6
bladesmith 1

Mine are DeCot's with a adjustable bridge. I normally shoot " heads up" and look out of the center, but my new trap gun makes me put my head down and then I have to adjust the lens upward.