The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 8, 2019, 06:48 AM   #1
Doug Ridley

Charter Arms

I'm thinking about a .22 lr revolver and have looked at a S&W 43c and a Ruger both in a 2" snubbie. Ran onto a Charter Arms Pathfinder .22 lr for a much better price. I know nothing about Charter Arms. Anybody have one and what is your opinion? Maybe opinions on Charter Arms in general?
Old October 8, 2019, 07:05 AM   #2
the Black Spot

I have two one in 44 special and a newer version in 45 colt. Love both of them!
Old October 8, 2019, 09:06 AM   #3
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Ridley View Post
I'm thinking about a .22 lr revolver and have looked at a S&W 43c and a Ruger both in a 2" snubbie. Ran onto a Charter Arms Pathfinder .22 lr for a much better price. I know nothing about Charter Arms. Anybody have one and what is your opinion? Maybe opinions on Charter Arms in general?
I bought the Pathfinder with a 4" barrel several months ago so I could learn how to accurately shoot a double action revolver. I had bought a 38 special snub nose NAO that I didn't shoot well so I bought a 22 for practice. I looked at all of the available 22 double action revolvers and found that only Taurus and Charter Arms had them at an affordable price (and they cost more than most larger calibers). The Taurus I wanted was out of stock so I chose the Charter Arms. I am glad that I did.

I have shot several thousand rounds through it and it is accurate. I have had no problems with it at all that wasn't my fault. It's well made in matte stainless while being smaller and lighter than some others. I would recommend it to anyone. If I was doing it again, I would probably get the shorter barrel to match my other revolvers and it cost less.
Old October 9, 2019, 01:44 AM   #4
TruthTellers

I hear good things about the .22 Charters. I'd get one if they had an 8 round model.
Old October 9, 2019, 05:13 AM   #5
Doug Ridley

All moot now. I found a brand new Ruger LCR .22 long rifle for $400.00. Needless to say it is in my pocket now. Thanks for your comments.
Old October 23, 2019, 09:14 PM   #6
claydoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Ridley View Post
All moot now. I found a brand new Ruger LCR .22 long rifle for $400.00. Needless to say it is in my pocket now. Thanks for your comments.
A friend had a similar situation. I suggested the Ruger but he wanted to save some money and went with the Charter Pathfinder. I went with him the first time he fired it and neither of us could get the empties to eject without hammering on the end of the ejector rod.I took the gun home with me and attempted to loosen things up by polishing the chambers and oiling the rod. Neither worked. Same problem next time he took it out. The gun was sent back to Charter who resolved the problem and attributed it to dry firing.
Old October 24, 2019, 09:46 AM   #7
aarondhgraham

I have the 4" version of the Pathfinder,,,
It's not quite as pretty but it performs as well as my S&W 34 and 63.

The trigger was a bit gritty at first,,,
But lots of dry firing with snap caps helped that.

My only real complaint was the stainless front sight disappeared in strong light,,,
A dab of orange nail polish on the front blade solved that problem.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)