The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 26, 2019, 04:25 PM   #1
C7AR15

My revovler has a safety

I recently bought a Uberti SA revolver, El Patron. .357

It actually has a safety incorporated into the gun. You push the cylinder rod back towards the frame and it projects out 3/16" to block the hammer from striking the firing pin.
Problem being that I dry fired it a couple times and it made it very difficult to remove the cylinder rod. It peens over the rod.

I know I should not dry fire it but I'm afraid that next time I won't be able to get the rod out.

Any solutions ??
Old September 26, 2019, 04:50 PM   #2
Jim Watson

This was a minimum "safety" to gain BATF import points.
Everybody I know just ignores it and loads five. Many substitute a standard base pin.
Old September 26, 2019, 05:34 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I bought a Uberti SAA clone at least a decade ago that had that "feature." As Jim Watson commented, it's a kludge to garner a few points on the BATFE score sheet that determines whether or not a firearm can be imported.

Don't use that "safety." Buy snap caps and dry fire to your heart's content with the pin in the non-safe (i.e. normal) position.
Jeepaholic
Old September 26, 2019, 06:16 PM   #4
gwpercle

Remove the cylinder pin and with fine file and abrasive paper remove the peened area.
That will restore it back to it's original diameter . Cold blue it and don't use it in place of snap caps .
The steel isn't that hard so it's easy to remove the peen and polish round again .
Remove as little as possible with the file so as not to be loose , keep trying as you file and polish with abrasive paper . Could chuck it in a drill to do the work...just go slow.
Gary
Old September 26, 2019, 08:33 PM   #5
Hawg

I cut mine off so it doesn't work and to make it look like it's supposed to.
Old September 27, 2019, 06:56 AM   #6
jar

My revolvers have a safety too.

And so does this one.
Old September 27, 2019, 09:18 AM   #7
pete2

Some years ago had a customer bring a Uberti back to the store because it would not fire--------------------------------never read the manual.
Old September 27, 2019, 02:07 PM   #8
C7AR15

Too funny!

Pete2

I could absolutely see how that could happen. Been shooting for 35 years and have never run into a revolver safety.

I always read the manual - you find hidden gems in there.

I read the manual for my 2012 Mazda 3 and I found out that my car had a factory GPS in it. The salesman never told me that it did and I don't think that even he knew .

RTM. RTM RTM ....
Old September 27, 2019, 02:59 PM   #9
SIGSHR

The Hammerli Virginian had that feature, called a "Swissafe", my 1970s Virginian Dragoon has it as well. Some polishing of the rod where it was peened should take care of that. Dryfire in the normal manner, and load only five at the range.
Old September 27, 2019, 04:03 PM   #10
Piranha451

I own a Taylor's & Company Smoke Wagon (Uberti Cattleman model, I believe). It has a 'retractable' firing pin. An internal rod pushes against the pin when the trigger is held back and allows the primer to be contacted. The firing pin is still on the hammer for an authentic look, but is supposed to eliminate the pin on primer if resting on a loaded chamber. I would not know as I only load five chambers anyway.
Old September 27, 2019, 04:16 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha451
I own a Taylor's & Company Smoke Wagon (Uberti Cattleman model, I believe). It has a 'retractable' firing pin. An internal rod pushes against the pin when the trigger is held back and allows the primer to be contacted. The firing pin is still on the hammer for an authentic look, but is supposed to eliminate the pin on primer if resting on a loaded chamber. I would not know as I only load five chambers anyway.
As discussed in the opening post of this thread?

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=603757
Jeepaholic
Old September 27, 2019, 04:33 PM   #12
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I cut mine off so it doesn't work and to make it look like it's supposed to.
This is probably the best "fix" but I didn't want to suggest removing a so called "safety".
Gary
Old September 28, 2019, 07:44 AM   #13
jonnyc

It's a well-known fact.......all "revovlers" have safeties!
Old September 28, 2019, 09:19 AM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
This is probably the best "fix" but I didn't want to suggest removing a so called "safety".
True but mine is a bp frame and to put it on and take it off you have to carry a screw driver with you.
Old September 28, 2019, 09:53 AM   #15
Piranha451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post

Aguila Blanca, no, the OP's handgun has the cylinder rod safety feature. Mine has a internal rod that goes up through the hammer. Uberti calls it the Safety Bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uberti Safety Bar.jpg (43.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Piranha451; September 28, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old September 29, 2019, 08:21 PM   #16
leo96150

[QUOTE=jar;6746716]My revolvers have a safety too.

[center]

I had a beautiful early S&W Model 40...... for an hour..... until my wife shot it. She said it reminded her of the one her dad carried as a detective. Haven't seen it since.
Old September 29, 2019, 09:27 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca

Aguila Blanca, no, the OP's handgun has the cylinder rod safety feature. Mine has a internal rod that goes up through the hammer. Uberti calls it the Safety Bar.
The opening post in the thread I provided a link to reads as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman42
they went to a rod that supposed to push the firing pin forward when you pull the trigger. supposed to is the word with this one. out of 12 rounds their are always 3 or 4 missfires. ive take the firing pin out and it was ruff on the backend of it so i smoothened it out and polished it good. helped a little but not perfect yet. so i called a gun smith who works on these things and he said put a shim in the fireing pin. the firing pin has a inlongated hole for the pin that holds it in. if i put a good shim in front of that long hole it will make the gun fire every time as i want. it wont be safe any more with a round under the fireing pin but it will work every time.
That sounds a lot like the safety you're talking about.
Jeepaholic
Old September 29, 2019, 09:59 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
It actually has a safety incorporated into the gun. You push the cylinder rod back towards the frame and it projects out 3/16" to block the hammer from striking the firing pin.
Well at least it's not as obnoxious as that stupid frame leved thing on a Rough Rider!

Quote:
Problem being that I dry fired it a couple times and it made it very difficult to remove the cylinder rod. It peens over the rod.
?
So don't push the rod all the way in to the safety position. Or, just buy some snap caps, probably a good idea anyway.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 30, 2019, 05:33 PM   #19
DaleA

My very own "secret conspiracy" theory is that every revolver manufacturer that has ever put a "safety" of any kind on a revolver has done so after being paid off from a slush fund set up by mystery/detective fiction writers so when the writers slip up and say something like "he drew the revolver from the holster and took off the safety" or "he pointed the revolver at the hero's head and pulled the trigger only to realize he had forgotten to take off the safety" and everybody jumps on their case they can point to a couple revolvers and say "See that? I'm not wrong!!!"
Old September 30, 2019, 07:53 PM   #20
bedbugbilly

I've never utilized the "safety" of the cylinder pin on any of my Uberti's - and I love my Uberties - remove the pin, cut off the extra length that makes it in to a safety - drop 'em in an envelope and mail them to a lawyer who specializes in making the simple into something difficult.

I was taught how to shoot SAAs over 50 years ago and the first rule was to carry on an empty cylinder - I'm surprised some lawyer hasn't coe up with the idea of leaving one chamber solid . . . but give 'em time.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 1, 2019, 03:32 PM   #21
Piranha451

Aguila Blanca, boy am I embarrassed! I did not check the link you provided and thought when you put 'this thread', you meant THIS one. I am sorry for my oversight!
Old October 2, 2019, 08:14 AM   #22
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I have a few revolvers with safeties.

Regarding the two position cylinder pin on Uberti revolvers, they have been doing that for a long time. I bought this Uberti Cattleman used, probably close to 20 years ago now. It came with one of those silly two position pins. I replaced it with a standard pin.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen guys show up at the line at a CAS match, only to realize they forgot to pull the pin to the 'fire' position. Click, click, click, after about the 3rd click they realize the dumb pin is in the wrong position. Get rid of that dumb pin, replace it with a standard one, I usually buy mine from Belt Mountain. If you want to dry fire, get some snap caps.