The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 2001, 08:34 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

My first experience with a pistol gripped shotgun

I bought a Pachmayr pistol grip for my Winchester 1300 12-gauge, as well as an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. The screw didn't fit into the stock screw hole, so my friend had to re-thread it. (As a side note, I've tried two advanced techology brand magazine extensions and neither of those fit either.) We got it on there, though, and tried it out on Saturday.

The rounds fired were 2.75" No. 7 Federal birdshot and 2.75" Federal Tactical (Law Enforcement) 00 Buckshot. All of my friends wanted to fire it from the hip the first try, and all learned that you still have to aim. It took a little getting used to, but after a bit of practice I was able to be quite accurate with it at home defense ranges.

The funnest thing for me was shooting this big board in half with birdshot. At close range, birdshot would make a big hole in the board, and a few shots in a line across the board would break it in half. Big fun.

The recoil was not at all unpleasant with the loads I shot. I put about a hundred rounds through my shotgun, and wasn't worse for wear. FWIW, I don't have big hands nor am I a particularly pain-resistant person.

All in all, I'm confident that I could reliably hit a human target at home defense ranges with that pistol-grip only shotgun. However, I certainly would not recommend a pistol-grip only model to someone who's new to shotgunning, or someone with particularly sensative hands. I'd still *prefer* a stocked shotgun for almost every activity, but I'm confident that I could manage with a pistol grip only model, for using shot against close-ranged targets. The big thing is to be able to visually line up the barrel and bead on the target without benefit of a cheek weld.

FWIW
Old October 29, 2001, 05:21 PM   #2
CWL

Hey there,

How about trying it alongside a standard stock shotgun for speed of aquisition, accuracy and follow-up shot speed?

I'd be curious to read how that went.
Old October 29, 2001, 08:23 PM   #3
Nightcrawler

Well, I'm not a particularly skilled shotgunner to begin with. I've owned a shotgun for less than a year. I'm going to assuming that having a buttstock improves performance in almost all areas, but lacking it (on a shotgun) does not render the shotgun inaccurate or unusable.
Old October 30, 2001, 08:52 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

NC, you might want to read the thread about a challnege to PG only folks, and respond...