The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2017, 01:55 PM   #26
OhioGuy

Is any other gun identically sized to the G19? I don't know that I've found the combo of the 4" barrel with the 5" overall height.
Old August 13, 2017, 02:18 PM   #27
cslinger

Longer barrel
Longer sight radius
Faster reloads
Rail out front
No pinched hands on reloads

All that being said, even with a 12 round mag I find the 26 slightly easier to conceal but 95% of the time I have no issue with a 19/23 sized gun. For me an HK P2000 but same concept.

The P2000 is almost identical in size to the G19, although hammer fired of course. I find the P2000's less blocky more radiused nature more comfortable but YMMV.
Old August 13, 2017, 03:19 PM   #28
Ridgerunner665

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Is any other gun identically sized to the G19? I don't know that I've found the combo of the 4" barrel with the 5" overall height.
The Glock 36 is very close in size to the 19 and 23.
Old August 13, 2017, 03:21 PM   #29
Joe_Pike

I have both. The 19 feels way better in my hand, has a longer sight radius and a higher capacity with the standard magazine that either come with....but, so far, I shoot the 26 better. Figure that one out. I know a lot of people report the same thing, but it seems that it shouldn't be that way. I just ordered ANOTHER IWB holster for the 26 so I can give it another try over my P938 I carry in my pocket.
So, at the moment I would pick the 26 because I shoot it better. I think I'll be changing the triggers of both to the smoother faced trigger of the Glock 17 though. Those ridges might get uncomfortable if I decided to shoot for an extended period of time.
Old August 13, 2017, 03:31 PM   #30
Doc Holliday 1950

My first introduction & choice into the World of 9mm's was the Glock 19. I was used to carrying concealed either a Ruger GP 100 4" or SP101 2.5" in 357 magnum. So, the weight & size was no big deal.
I looked at the G26 & in comparison there was no doubt in my mind as to which to choose. I wanted the extra 5.
So, as I see it, the G19 vs. the G26 was a no brainer. The G26 just gave up too much for too little. Again, this is based on my past use & needs.

Doc
Old August 13, 2017, 03:47 PM   #31
Chui

Why choose Glock 19 over 26?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
Longer barrel

Longer sight radius

Faster reloads

Rail out front

No pinched hands on reloads

All that being said, even with a 12 round mag I find the 26 slightly easier to conceal but 95% of the time I have no issue with a 19/23 sized gun. For me an HK P2000 but same concept.

The P2000 is almost identical in size to the G19, although hammer fired of course. I find the P2000's less blocky more radiused nature more comfortable but YMMV.

P2000 conceals better if you carry AIWB. Hands down. It's less blocky so it prints less.

I would recommend the HK hammer-fired guns with LEM trigger groups. I'd also get it with the HEAVY springs.

Why???

I'd replace the Firing Pin Block Spring with the lighter one and I'd replace the Mainspring Hammer
spring with the one from the DA/SA one. This setup is the "Todd Green" setup and they all should be this way.

It's amazing.

I'd also add the mag release levers from the HK45C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 13, 2017, 03:52 PM   #32
Chui

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post

P2000 LEM*
HK P30 LEM
HK VP9
CZ P10C
CZ P-07*

* = almost IDENTICALLY sized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 13, 2017, 04:22 PM   #33
Brit

The Glock 19 is perfect. Why do they still put that silly lined trigger on it? If it is an import law? Change the bloody thing when it arrives in GA.

In speaking to Mr Glock, years ago, I asked could he make a G19 sized pistol, but single stack? My thought, perfect for shoulder holster carry, body guard special. Ten round capacity. Two mags on the off side.

He was not interested. I also touted the exact finish, wee pyramids, he now put on the Gen 4. He said the Austrian Police find the finish now, perfect?

I carry my Gen 4 Glock 19 in a Kydex holster, outside the Instructor Frequent flyer belt, at 4 o'clock. Just about perfect. Spare Mag. a G17 one.

I have found nothing I have ever owned, draws faster, aims better, suits me better. And love the 16 round capacity. It is sitting under a shirt right now.

Waiting for my Wife to be ready? Supper on the way.
Old August 13, 2017, 07:08 PM   #34
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Why do they still put that silly lined trigger on it? If it is an import law?
Yes. The 19, from what I understand, doesn't have enough points to be imported with the smooth "combat" trigger of the 17. The trigger on the 26 and 19 is considered a "target" trigger, so, that gives them enough points to be imported. Now there's a law that makes sense.
Old August 13, 2017, 11:28 PM   #35
kevra1983

I decided to go with 19 over the 26 myself due to grip feel and slightly better for target shooting. I'd suggest renting each of them out at a LGS indoor range if you can. Like a couple others said, I got the pinch issue myself on the magazine of the 26. That's one thing that may or may not bother you. Other things that may play into factor is also how you dress. I know that sounds crazy. I mean if you're wearing Levi's 510's then heck any of them could make it tough to conceal. But in the cold winter, you may not have to worry that much. For home self defense, you'll definitely favor the Glock 19 a lot more. It's also going to depend on what you're going to be using the pistol for. Good luck with the decision.
Old August 14, 2017, 02:29 AM   #36
Brit

OK Joe, but when the G19 is here, in GA, why can they not replace them (the trigger) with the smooth one, importation is now done?

Everybody I know replaces those triggers, it does not make the G19 illegal or anything.
Old August 14, 2017, 08:57 AM   #37
Doc Holliday 1950

K,
I do wear Levi's 510. No problem, zip, zero.

Doc
Old August 14, 2017, 11:26 AM   #38
Brando1992

I haven't read all the comments but figure I would give my input as the 19 size gun is my favorite for concealed carry. Though the 19 size is my favorite and I have 2 guns that size, glock 19 and cz p10c, I carry my 26 most of the time. I am the weird exception in this case. I carry my 26 with a 15 round mag and x grip extension. It feels just like my 19 when drawing. But i have a light on my 19 and that makes it too long for me to comfortably appendix carry. I love the size of the 19 so I made my 26 feel the same. Combat accuracy is essentially the same between the 19 and 26 with the mag extension for me. I carry appendix and love my tier 1 concealed agis holser. I love the set up with the 26 because in the spare mag carrier i carry a 26mag with a pinky extension on it. I find the flush fitting mags and the piece grip makes no difference in concealability. I don't necesarily feel like having 15+1 and then 17 or 19 rounds in my spare is necessary. I primarily carry a spare mag for malfunction clearing. having the 26 mag on hand will let me swap to it and have a more concealable package and when I'm not as concerned I have a full 19 grip with the mag sleeve. I also have a smith and wesson shield that ive not touched in over a year... The 26 with a 12 round mag and the right holster is equally as concealable as the 23 even when im having to tuck my shirt in.

If your wanting to carry with a light i suggest getting a 19, though there are lights for the 26. other than that there are so many practical options the 26 gives you it is hard to argue with it. And if you can shoot a 19 well, you will be able to shoot the 26 well, 1 in of sight radius isnt going to affect your ability to hit a man sized target at 3-10 yards. if you cant hit it with the 26 you probaly wouldnt hit it with a fill sized 1911.. Just sayin.

Other guns that are similar sized to the 19, the 4.25in m&p is slightly bigger but close enough to where I wouldnt notice much difference when carrying it. The m&pc is also a great option. Some of my favorite guns are the cz p10c which seems slightly bigger, and the cz p07 which feels like the exact size of the 19.

Hope this helps! good luck with your decision.

this is just what works for me, im sure there will be plenty people who disagree.
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old August 14, 2017, 02:43 PM   #39
TailGator

It is a choice of personal preference and need. Some people choose the 19 because they feel they conceal either equally well, and opt for the extra capacity, and others prefer the 19 because of its grip. People who choose the 26 over the 19 usually feel like they conceal it better (we have heard from some of those already, and I am one) and some feel they shoot it better (me again). Your choice.
Old August 14, 2017, 03:16 PM   #40
JN01

I prefer the G26 for carry, it has a slight edge for concealment. I carry at 1:30 position, that little extra length on the 19 digs into my leg where the 26 does not. I can shoot either equally as well, but the round hump on the lower grip frame combined with GAP magazine baseplates makes the G26 seem to lock into my hand.

I do use a G19 with RMR and happy stick for my home defense pistol, however.
Old August 14, 2017, 03:51 PM   #41
Vic1951

I have bought 4 G26 and4 G19 because when I sell or trade them I miss them. If I was limited to just one gun, it would be the G19, Glocks biggest seller. Why? It holds 5 more rounds, longer barrel, good for carry and home defense and is the perfect size, not too big and not too short. What usually happens, as happened to me all the time, the G26 owner buys either a pinkie extension or 12 round mag and what you end up with is a gun very similar in size and weight to a Glock 19. Most of all, the G19 has a rail for a light which is useful for home defense, a car gun, etc., while the G26 has no rail at all. I used to put a very small laser on my G19 and with holster makers now making holsters for guns with lights and lasers, I had no problem finding a comfy holsters for this gun.

The most popular Glock carry gun for the NYPD, at least when I lived there, was the G19 because they had to buy their own guns (imagine telling soldiers that they had to buy their own equipment) and the G19 served as both a duty and home defense gun. No need to buy two guns. Plus they could put a light and or laser on it for duty or home defense
Old August 15, 2017, 05:12 AM   #42
Nakanokalronin

My choice is the 26 weather it be with the factory base plate or one of the GAP plates which is what I prefer. I can carry any size 9mm Glock mag (minus the 43 of course) as a back-up and it conceals with any type of clothing.

I have a different gun for pocket carry, but I don't do the winter / summer carry guns. Same gun all year round. A jacket doesn't matter since it eventually comes off and carrying the 26 means there is no compromise when it comes to capacity. I can shoot my 26 as well as my 19,17 or 34 for the most part.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; August 15, 2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old August 15, 2017, 08:40 AM   #43
sigarms228

Well I own only one Glock, a Gen 2 19 that I bought new in the early 90s before the 26 was available.

For me personally I have no problem concealing the Glock 19 in my "casual attire" and consider it still the gold standard as far as a concealable 15 round 9MM pistol in regards to size, weight, and performance.

I am sure there are those who can conceal the Glock 26 better so it is great that it is available.

I find myself CCW my Walther PPS with 7 round magazine more and more these days though due to the extra comfort I find with such a thin pistol IWB.
Old August 15, 2017, 09:30 AM   #44
COSteve

While I don't own a 9mm, my CCW is the G23 which is identical in size to the G19. Why it over the G27? The grip, the sight radius, the velocity, the balance, in short everything about the compact is better for me than the sub-compact.
Old August 15, 2017, 12:07 PM   #45
FITASC

Quote:
My HK P7
A tad thinner in the slide and just a little shorter overall, even with the same length barrel
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 16, 2017, 05:34 AM   #46
Brit

One thing I think would improve the G19, snub nose it, round off the front!
Like the G26. Look at the photo by Nakanokalronin.
Old August 16, 2017, 06:05 PM   #47
Onward Allusion

It's all personal preference. I would take the 26/27 or 17/22 over a 19/23 any day of the week.

I like to go big or go small. Average "full-size-compact" with a 4" barrel isn't for me. Glocks are Legos. Like I'd mentioned in another post, take a G27, a 9mm barrel, grip extensions, longer barrel . . . you get it . . . you have the "one gun" . Of course, it's cheating a little because of swapping out parts while retaining frame. The only thing a 27 can't get you is a longer sight radius.

Going back to a 26, a mag w/grip sleeve gives you 15, 17, or 33 rounds w/a full grip. Need to conceal, use the OEM G26 mag. Need more "power" (although, you gotta go to a 5 or 6 inch for noticeable difference) drop an extended barrel into it.

Again, personal preference.
Old August 16, 2017, 07:02 PM   #48
stephen426

Based on what I wear typically and what I do, I went with a Glock 26. The thickness started bugging me, so then I went with the Kahr PM9. I made the mistake of shooting a Glock 43 and then I bought one of those. The PM9 is fine for concealed carry, but the long trigger makes longer shots harder. I did a practical shoot and I shot way better with the Glock 43 trigger.

I am 5'7" and about 160 lbs. so I can't hide a larger weapon wearing regular office attire. I've gotten use to the small guns and I shoot them fairly well, so it works for me.
Old August 16, 2017, 07:05 PM   #49
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
My HK P7
A tad thinner in the slide and just a little shorter overall, even with the same length barrel
Not arguing that the HK P7 isnt a great gun, but it is pretty heavy, especially for a 7+1 round gun. I do know one person that carries one though.
Old August 16, 2017, 07:45 PM   #50
FITASC

Loaded up, weighs about the same as the 19; albeit with less rounds - but it IS a lot cooler looking!!!!!!!!

It is the only totally ambidextrous gun I have ever handled.....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa