The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 6, 2010, 04:59 PM   #1
TPAW

Ruger LCP?

Just picked up a Ruger LCP and would like to know what FMJ grain cartridge you guys use? Also, where can I get extra Factory Ruger mags with the finger extension for a good price.
Looking forward to firing this little pocket piece! Thanks for your help.
Old August 6, 2010, 05:18 PM   #2
pelo801

http://www.gunclips.net/rulcpgunma1.html
if you're looking for ammo to practice, i used to use the winchester white box stuff. now i reload
Old August 6, 2010, 05:18 PM   #3
rantingredneck

For practice I use the 90 gr. Winchester USA 100 round packs. Walmart carries them for around 32.00 here when they're in stock. Pretty regularly in stock lately. Supply was dry for some time.

For SD I've been carrying Hornady Critical Defense based on the reviews and how it shoots in my gun (nice groups!). Though everything I've fed mine (around 1200 +/- rounds) has shot well and fed flawlessly. YMMV.

For factory mags, just do a Google "shopping" search and see who has them cheapest this week. Midway was running a Ruger magazine sale a couple weeks ago but I think that's over.

You may want to look into the Pearce grip extensions over the factory finger extension plates. I like them better. I typically carry it with a flat based mag so that it prints less in the pocket and then carry the spare mag with the grip extension. It gives you a little more to hang on to.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old August 6, 2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Eghad

I just purchased a LCP about a couple of weeks ago...I got a magazine extender with the pistol ? but my pinky finger does not fit.

I think this adds a little more room than the factory extender and allows you to get the pink fully on it.

http://www.pearcegrip.com/ruger_lcp.htm

Mine would stovepipe on me with the empty

I e-mailed Ruger nice lady called me and sent me a UPS Label. They said I should have it back in 10-14 days.

So I am awaitng the return and I have some S&B ammo ready to give it a work out.

NRA Life Member
Old August 6, 2010, 08:14 PM   #5
ttheel

I've been using Winchester white box FMJ ammo for practice. When carrying I either use Remington Golden Saber's or Hornady Critical Defense.
Old August 6, 2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

As far as range ammo, I use whatever I can find. My LCP was a pre-recall model but I've never had either a FTF or a FTE with mine before or after the recall work. My LCP will fire any thing that I've put through it.

Good luck with your LCP. It's a lot of fun to shoot but you'll be surprised by the amount of recoil that little gun has.

As a suggestion, I wouldn't buy any extra finger grip extension mags until I fired the gun. I've got big hands and shooting the LCP with the finger extension mag isn't very comfortable and actually prevents me from getting a good grip on the gun. For range time, I only use the regular mags but do find that the extension mags are easier to grab out of a pocket as a reload when carrying concealed.
Old August 6, 2010, 11:52 PM   #7
TPAW

Thanks for the responses. I'll plan to fire my LCP this weekend. I'll let you know the results.
Old August 7, 2010, 06:23 AM   #8
sonnycrockett

mine feeds anything.Im using Magtecks now - forget the silly mag extension,that ruger needs proper mag spring pressure or it may FTF ..I took mine off
Old August 7, 2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Dashunde

I'll run my 11th box of Lellier & Bellot FMJ's thru mine later today.
(Its the stuff in the green/red/white box at Cabelas)
The first 10 have been absolutely flawless.
Old August 7, 2010, 11:21 AM   #10
KyJim

Mine has flawlessly shot all FMJ brands I have run through it with one exception. I had one failure to feed on the last round of a mag with the WWB flat nosed (semi-wadcutter) FMJ. Everything "bullet shaped" has run fine.
Old August 7, 2010, 01:48 PM   #11
ttheel

Quote:
forget the silly mag extension,that ruger needs proper mag spring pressure or it may FTF ..I took mine off
I put the extension on mine the day I got it about a year ago. I have never had one single FTF or FTE. No problems whatsoever and it helps with control.
Old August 7, 2010, 02:52 PM   #12
ET.

I don't have a LCP but my TCP loves the Sellier & Bellot stuff also.
Old August 7, 2010, 09:29 PM   #13
ritepath

My LCP seems to like Remington 95gr UMC stuff from wally-world 17.xx a box.