The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 22, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1
Link

Hearing Protection Help

How are the earmuffs that promise hearing protection along with being able to hear normal conversations?

Do these really work? If so, do you have any specific recommendations?

If not, then what do you recommend in the area of hearing protection? Thanks...
Old July 22, 2007, 12:19 PM   #2
armedandsafe

I have used (and still use occasionally) the muffs with the amplifier(s.) I also have the Radian Enhanced Ear plugs, which I now use more often. They are effective, but you need to note the effective noise reduction rating of the ones you are looking at. Some have less ENR than is desireable.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old July 25, 2007, 03:07 PM   #3
AAron36330

My wife and I each have a pair of Silencio Range Safe electronic ear muffs as well as 1 set of Radian Hunter's Ear from Cabelas and 1 set of Caldwell Sound-Right ES-85.

Personally, we both like the Silencio's the absolute best, but as per usual when we find something we really like, I can't find them any more and I know I got them from Cabela's. The only thing about the Silencio's is they don't have the bottom cut back so you can use them with a long gun but they do prevent the noise from getting through immediately after the trigger is pulled and will go back to allowing you to hear normal speech again just as quickly.

The Radian's are not bad and they do have the cut-out for long gun shooting, just don't do quite as well with eliminating noise as the Range Safes but you can here range commands and normal conversations just fine.

We bought the Caldwell's to use as spare muffs when friends/family go with us to the range. Those ear muffs were cheap (on sale at Midway for under $30) and they look and feel like it....don't waste the money. :barf: