The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 18, 2017, 12:27 AM   #401
Jeff22

USPSA has a new Pistol Caliber Carbine category.

I have a Colt R6430 9mm carbine that I bought back in 1992. I've mostly used it as a sub-caliber trainer for my AR-15s, and I can shoot it on the indoor range and on steel plates without worrying about damaging the backstop or the plates.

I shot my first sanctioned USPSA match with it yesterday morning. This match had a lot of longer field course type stages. I really enjoyed shooting the carbine, though I felt just a little bit awkward a few times from being a little rusty.

I'm going to continue shooting the PCC through the summer so I can get classified.
Old June 18, 2017, 09:05 AM   #402
Don P

Quote:
I'm going to continue shooting the PCC through the summer so I can get classified.
PCC is still provisional and I have heard nothing with regards to it becoming a permanent division. There was talk about it being a totally separate discipline. Clubs have had to alter props used because of the PCC shooters.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 19, 2017, 10:30 AM   #403
RickB

I learned that 20yd shots with an IDPA-legal BUG gun are not easy.

I also learned that if I were even just a little more precise, I would have shot an Expert score, which I'd done only once before on the old, 90rd classifier in almost twenty years of annual reclassification.
Old October 17, 2017, 12:21 PM   #404
otasan

Bowling pin shooting - don't forget to blacken your sights.
Old December 2, 2017, 07:36 AM   #405
Jeff22

I've got 3 classifiers in in the Pistol Caliber Carbine division. I should have a provisional classification after the December match.

I have one classifier in in the Carry Optics division (with a borrowed gun). Getting classified in CO will be my next project after I get classified in PCC.

I am, once again and always, amazed at the number of guys who reload, and their guns malfunction at the match and they're surprised. Until you are familiar with the intricacies of setting Over All Length (OAL) and taper crimping and stuff, use factory ammo for matches and save yourself some aggravation . . .
Old December 2, 2017, 09:13 AM   #406
TXAZ

HAVE FUN!!!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 24, 2018, 03:48 AM   #407
Jeff22

IDPA has a pistol caliber carbine division and (apparently) a different classification CoF for carbine. So there's another project for the future.

I have shot classifiers in all the divisions of IDPA except the BUG (back up gun division) and that may be another project for this year.

I shot a USPSA match last Saturday with the pistol caliber carbine. Of 53 shooters total, 9 shot PCC. (As usual, I was the most accurate and not very fast)
Old February 3, 2018, 10:01 PM   #408
Jeff22

Note to guys: do NOT bring your girlfriend to the pistol match to watch you shoot. She will get bored, and then she will get cranky and then you will have an argument out on the parking lot and then you will have to leave early before shooting Stage 3
Old February 3, 2018, 11:57 PM   #409
AzShooter

Steel Challenge RFPO

Check battery before match. Put a new battery in right before the match and use it for the month then replace again.

Check all magazines. Make sure you clean them. Even a little dust will destroy your reliability.
Old February 4, 2018, 01:05 AM   #410
Rob228

A permanently affixed black rubber shooting mat retains a ton of heat. When it is announced that you are not required to lay on the mat but can lay to either side of it..... do not lay on the mat.
Old February 10, 2018, 12:31 AM   #411
Jeff22

matches on indoor ranges

Up here in the frozen tundra, most matches are indoors in the winter of necessity.

Last weekend I shot in a couple of matches on indoor ranges that I had been to before, but I had not shot at either location in three or four years.

Both ranges are of traditional configuration, with a fixed firing line and shooting booths. When used in IDPA or USPSA matches, the targets are set up down range and the position that you fire from varies from stage to stage. In certain spots the lighting is very spooky and shadowy and it's hard to get a clear sight picture.

I shot the IDPA classifier with a Glock 19 in CCP (concealed carry pistol) class. That's the ONLY one of my carry guns that does not have hi-viz trijicon or Ameriglo Spartan sights.

I had a hell of a time picking up the front sight, depending where I was in relation to the targets and in relation to the overhead lights. At times I also got a glare off the glass cell in the night sights (this is pretty common -- it'll happen if the sun is low in the sky and behind you too).

So I did okay but not as good as I could have or should have. NOTE TO SELF: When shooting on an indoor range with shadowy lighting conditions, use the guns with the more visible sights . . . .
Old February 10, 2018, 11:28 AM   #412
Don P

Quote:
Note to guys: do NOT bring your girlfriend to the pistol match to watch you shoot. She will get bored, and then she will get cranky and then you will have an argument out on the parking lot and then you will have to leave early before shooting Stage 3
Maybe time for new girl friend What will happen when you want to go to the range/match and ya hear, "you going to the range again"
Guess I'm super lucky, the wife shoots competition with me so life is great.
Even get razzed when she out shoots me on a stage. All in good fun and the family that shoots together stays together
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 26, 2018, 01:02 AM   #413
Jeff22

lessons learned

So I shot a USPSA Classifier match on Sunday morning.

One of the classifiers involved engaging targets freestyle at 35 yards (!) and strong hand only and weak hand only at 15 yards. I did not do very well on that particular stage.

Another classifier (CM 99-48 "Tight Squeeze") involved engaging targets partially screened by hard cover. The most difficult shot was at 12 yards, where you had to engage a target with hard cover on both sides, and basically only the head and A zone were available as a target area. I didn't do so good on that one, either. I have struggled with that particular stage in the past.

Now I have some new things to practice. It's a good thing that spring is finally here
Old August 29, 2018, 07:00 PM   #414
MisterCrabby

Name one thing you learned at your last match...

Like most things it’s more mental than physical. Also, if I’m getting 3s and procedurals I’m going too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 29, 2018, 08:46 PM   #415
Mike38

At my last match, two weeks ago, taught me a hard earned lesson on natural point of aim. I shoot Precision Pistol (Bullseye) and usually have problems at the "Long Line" (50 yards) in slow fire. But on this day I was really struggling. I had two "M" on my first target. M=Miss, as in missed the paper completely. Got my act together by the third target, and realized that my stance was off so far my natural point of aim was placing the sights about two feet right of the bullseye, I was having to force my arm to the left before each trigger press. Why it took me so long? I was focusing on grip and trigger finger placement so hard, stance was completely blocked out of my mind. I figure that I dropped about 40 points off my normal long line scores before I got my act together. Never did make them up the rest of the match. Lesson learned, and never do that again.
Old August 30, 2018, 09:42 AM   #416
max it

Single action auto Better than double. I failed to flip safety on turning target. In practical pistol match w/CZ. Whereas XD only has grip safety; no manual or decocker.

Old August 30, 2018, 01:16 PM   #417
max it

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasan View Post
Bowling pin shooting - don't forget to blacken your sights.

note to self.

Old August 30, 2018, 03:32 PM   #418
RickB

100yo guns might break at any moment.
Actually, I learned it at a match last Fall, then learned it again last weekend.
Old September 4, 2018, 01:14 PM   #419
MisterCrabby

Got another procedural for not using cover. Stages with multiple positions are challenging and require I think through and remember the choreography.

Old September 4, 2018, 08:33 PM   #420
egd

What I like about uspsa is the only choreography I have to remember is what I devise. Shoot the targets as they become visible.
Of course as soon as I hear the beep my mind goes to mush, but...
Old September 6, 2018, 03:56 PM   #421
Dragline45

Don't compete with new guns. Wanted to put my Colt Competition 1911 in 9mm through it's paces and it was stove pipe city. I will be sending that one back to the factory. Great shooting gun, but stove pipe at least every other mag.
Old September 8, 2018, 10:55 PM   #422
MisterCrabby

Good match today at berrien county sportsman’s club.

I did the 5x5 qualifier and got marksman. Takeaway is to practice one handed.
Old September 10, 2018, 11:25 AM   #423
RickB

When I shoot a match "just for fun", I can be induced to running between shooting positions when the scorekeeper announces, "The time to beat is . . ."
Old November 10, 2018, 05:37 PM   #424
Jeff22

So I have a Trijicon RMR06 series 2 on a Glock 34 that I have been shooting in the carry optics division of USPSA.

Everybody's eyesight is different, so how they become accustomed to the dot is different. My gun has supressor sights on it, and I use the sights to guide my eye to the dot. If that makes sense.

Shooting two handed, I got used to running the dot pretty quickly. I still need to practice a lot one hand only (particularly weak hand only) -- I need to be more consistent in my presentation so I'm not burning a lot of time trying to find the dot or line the sights up.

The RDS is certainly an improvement if you have old eyes and are shooting on an indoor range with spooky, shadowy illumination.
Old November 11, 2018, 03:54 PM   #425
Dano4734

Well I learned I pretty much stink so I relagate myself to shooting at my range