The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2016, 05:02 PM   #1
Eazyeach

Beretta M9 compact

I just decided I'm switching my EDC from a S&W shield to my Beretta M9 compact. I love my shield but am worried about not being able to hit the safety if needed for self defense.

I really like my Beretta but it needs some fine tuning before I carry it. I want to get the DA pull a little smoother , turn the safety into a decocker only , and I want better sights. I usually dig 3 dot but these little orange sights are hard to pick up quickly.

I will send her off to Wilson Combat for these improvements and maybe some more(like action tuning) maybe. I don't know if that is worth the cost or not. Has anyone out there sent their beretta in for custom work? If so please give me some details as the Wilson Combat website isn't real clear. Are you happy and was it worth it? Thanks in advance.
Old September 11, 2016, 07:48 PM   #2
Southrnshooter

You can do a lot of that yourself if you are mechanically inclined. I'm not that great but I did mine and saved a ton of cash.

Installed a short reach trigger, an elite hammer, and a 14lb hammer spring. I have around 500 rounds through the gun with no light strikes and a much improved trigger pull. You can also install the rear sight yourself and just send in the slide for the front site drilling to install the fiber optic and the G conversion.
Old September 11, 2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Eazyeach

I like to save money and I'm slightly mechanically inclined. But I don't have a lot of free time. i never considered doing any of it myself. Thanks for the reply. Do you like that short reach trigger? My SA pull is ok but the DA pull is a beast.
Old September 11, 2016, 08:30 PM   #4
849ACSO

Quote:
I love my shield but am worried about not being able to hit the safety if needed for self defense.
This doesn't make any sense to me when you immediately say this:

Quote:
turn the safety into a decocker only
So.................. what's the point again?
Old September 11, 2016, 08:59 PM   #5
redlightrich

I think he is saying he wants the decocker function ( so he can keep a round chambered) and the "safety" becomes the double pull trigger. The Beretta's decocker is also a safety ( disconnects the trigger action when on).

I think it makes perfect sense. He doesn't want a manual safety. He does want a decocker.

Thank you
Old September 11, 2016, 09:18 PM   #6
Eazyeach

Exactly redlightrich. I'm not worried about not having a safety. I'm worried about not being able to turn the little shield safety off.
Old September 12, 2016, 12:06 AM   #7
849ACSO

Gotcha now. I wasn't aware the shield had a manual safety.
Old September 12, 2016, 01:09 AM   #8
Bart Noir

Being unsure of my skills, I had my gunsmith install the lighter mainspring and a Wilson trigger. The result was a definite improvement in trigger pull and also reset.

I also had the Wilson safety installed, which is left side only. This sacrificed ambidextrous safety operation to get a slimmer slide for concealed carry.

This was on a 92F Compact. Is there really an M9 Compact?

The Compact has a slightly different curve to the back-strap and it fits me just right. After I bought it used I replaced the recoil spring and the locking block. I'll never wear those out in my lifetime. And yes, that much 'smithing I could and did do myself

Bart Noir
Old September 12, 2016, 04:06 AM   #9
redhologram

Call Wilson Combat. 800-955-4856 When the recorded lady starts talking, just punch in ext 271. That will get you Steve Kelly. If you get put on hold and it routes you back to the operator, tell them that is who you are looking for and either hold for him or leave a message for him to call you back.
I will pm you my name. Tell him I gave you his contact info and what you are wanting to have done. He will help you out and give you quotes and instructions.
Also, when you send your gun in, put a piece of paper in your box listing exactly what you are wanting to have done, your name, address, contact phone number, email, SN of gun.

They currently have my FS 92FS and my 92F compact doing work on it. They are also building a .308 for me at the moment and have built a couple of other rifles for me this year and Steve is always my go-to man.

Definitely worth the money to have them do anything to your guns.
Old September 12, 2016, 07:38 AM   #10
Eazyeach

Thank you so much for the contact info redhologram. Definitely plan on dropping your name when I call.

Bart, I think the slide says 92 but the frame says M9A1. I can't remember. I'm at work and can't see it right now.
Old September 12, 2016, 06:07 PM   #11
t4terrific

Beretta M9 compact

I have a 92FS. It's great, but I prefer a smaller sidearm, when possible.

The Glock 19/Sig 229 size pistols are my favorites.

I'm really enamored with the Beretta 92 Compacts. I think I'm going to get one.

First mod will be the decocker only mod.

Last edited by t4terrific; September 12, 2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old September 12, 2016, 07:48 PM   #12
Eazyeach

The compact model fits my hand way different than the full size. Feels real good. You'll probably like it.
Old September 12, 2016, 08:19 PM   #13
Lohman446

I assume you have considered the ramifications of modifying and eliminating a manufacturers safety item and are comfortable with that
Old September 12, 2016, 08:35 PM   #14
Eazyeach

Totally comfortable with the planned modifications. Thanks for asking. I try not to worry too much about things like that.
Old September 12, 2016, 11:36 PM   #15
volkstrm

Don't know if you would want to rethink the Beretta? But maybe you may want to look at the CZ,75BD?( Steel frame) It's easy to put night sights on it has a decocker. The trigger is nice.(DA/SA) It's full size but smaller then the Beretta & carry's well. I carry one or I carry the CZ,P-01. The P-01 is a compact alloy framed but as a rail on it. Would be a lot less money to put into the gun an a better gun then the Beretta for carry. IMO. Take a look at the CZ's you may really like them. Good luck.
Old September 13, 2016, 12:13 AM   #16
Pilot

I have an INOX Beretta 92FS/M9A1 Compact (the one with the rail). For me it is not really a compact, but a mid size or even a full size pistol. I use it at the range only along with my full size 92FS which I like much better.

I second the CZ options for carry. I carry, and shoot a CZ-75D PCR, lightweight alloy framed compact. Much easier to carry than the Beretta, and a better shooter for me.
Old September 13, 2016, 06:26 AM   #17
Eazyeach

You CZ fanboys never miss a chance to promote your favorites. Thanks for the advice. I actually just got a CZ 75B SA and if I like it I will consider getting a carry sized CZ. But I still want to carry the Beretta mostly. For what it's worth I've only dry fired my CZ so far but the trigger is pretty sweet.
Old September 13, 2016, 01:11 PM   #18
Pilot

Quote:
You CZ fanboys never miss a chance to promote your favorites. Thanks for the advice. I actually just got a CZ 75B SA and if I like it I will consider getting a carry sized CZ. But I still want to carry the Beretta mostly. For what it's worth I've only dry fired my CZ so far but the trigger is pretty sweet.
Just giving my honest opinion. I own several Berettas, HK's, Sig's, Ruger's, Colt, Browning, etc, but I gravitate to my CZ's for real use. They just seem to fit me the best. The others are also excellent, and all good choices.

Call me a fanboy, I don't care, but in 50 years of shooting, that is my experience. How long have you been shooting?
Old September 13, 2016, 02:28 PM   #19
Eazyeach

Lol. Pilot, you got me sir. I haven't been on this planet for 50 years yet. I've been trying to get better at handgun shooting for just a few years. I keep an open mind. But I've got a real itch to turn my Beretta into a nice EDC.
Old September 13, 2016, 02:56 PM   #20
volkstrm

Eazyeach,
I was just trying to give you my opinion on the CZ because it fits the hand so well & shoots even better. The full size CZ,75BD (decocker) is a easy gun to carry. I do carry it myself it carry's better then my Sig,226 in 40s&w. I did look at the Beretta M9/92 but it was to me anyway a big gun for a 9mm. I do have a Beretta 85F (380ACP) that I got for the wife. I call it the baby Beretta. It is one fine gun for sure & I also like shooting it. I even carried it from time to time. This one is made in Italy & I can tell you that it is very well made. I did think of adding a Beretta M9 because I like the 85F so much. Just for range shooting. I like the link it has to the German P-38. Question for you? Do you think the Beretta's made in Italy are made better then the Beretta's made in the USA? Thanks.
Old September 13, 2016, 02:58 PM   #21
redhologram

Steve from WC called me right before noon today about one of my guns, I told him I had given his name to someone about having some work done. He said he hadn't heard from anyone yet...
He isn't in the office on Friday's, FYI.
Old September 13, 2016, 03:11 PM   #22
Eazyeach

Red, I haven't decided on everything I want done to the gun yet. Also I am trying to sell a couple to raise some $$$$. I'll probably contact them later this week or early next. Thanks for letting me know he won't be in Friday.

Volk, I don't think there is any difference in Italian made or American made. Any difference in negligible in my untrained opinion. I have one of each. My full size is Italian and my compact is from Maryland. Both are really nice although I did notice some tooling marks on the inside of my compact slide.
Old September 13, 2016, 03:13 PM   #23
Eazyeach

One other thing, Red. Are they still super busy? I watched a Yankee marshal video last night and he said they were swamped and hard to get ahold of.
Old September 13, 2016, 03:27 PM   #24
t4terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I assume you have considered the ramifications of modifying and eliminating a manufacturers safety item and are comfortable with that

Wilson Combat is comfortable with doing it for their customers. It's listed as a standard upgrade.

Beretta even offers it to large customers.

Not that big of a deal.
Old September 13, 2016, 04:08 PM   #25
redhologram

Eazy,
I call Steve and usually get him with no problem. The closer you call to 0800 it seems the less call volume. But having his direct ext makes it easy and not an eternal hold.
As for time in for work done, Steve can give you the best estimate. For something like that, I wouldn't think a long turn around time.