The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 22, 2012, 07:45 PM   #1
erawtik

Advice for my mossberg to hunt

I went to a gun show today and picked up a mossberg 500 30" full choke for $100. Well this is my first shotgun but i do have a couple pistols, carbine, and rifle. Iv never done much hunting and was wanting to see what this setup will allow me to hunt and which ammo for what? Also if i need a new barrel which one and what ammo for it as well? Also i will be going to range and shooting some clay with it as well.
Old September 22, 2012, 09:52 PM   #2
big al hunter

Sounds like a duck and goose gun. What do you plan to hunt with it? If it doesn't have screw in chokes it is probably not a good idea to shoot steel through it. If you post the first few digits of the serial # someone here will likely be able to tell you for sure. If you plan to hunt waterfowl the barrel you have is good. Use the nontoxic super expensive shells if it is not safe for steel. If you plan on hunting upland birds or want to shoot steel get a new barrel. You may find that the screw in chokes give you more options for different situations. You should shoot some clays and see how you like it before deciding on a new barrel. More info will get more responses. Where you will hunt, what species, what type of clay game you will shoot etc. Each has a different response. What you will be doing most will be what you should build your gun for.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
erawtik

well iv looked all over and see no serial number. Deer and clay's at the range would most likely be about it. Is it to much gun for squirrel or should i stick to the .22?

Last edited by erawtik; September 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old September 22, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4
scottd913

a .22 is best for squirrel IMO some like shotguns for that tho. as far as your mossey as fore mentioned you need to provide more info if you want better responses do you want to learn how to hunt i think you should come right and say that as i would be no help there as i do not know anything about hunting.however there are alot of people on this forum that would be more than happy to help guide you to the places to get started on that and where to find the support you need as far as the serial number it should be on the left side of the trigger housing above the action release button. i wish you well and hope you don't give up on us ...just be more specific in you questions. there are great folks here and welcome to the firing line forum
Old September 22, 2012, 11:29 PM   #5
erawtik

Well with this gun im just not sure what it is capable of in its current setup. I don't know how simpler I can get with my ? Can I hunt deer with this setup if so which ammo same for other game. As for serial number there is none iv searched the net and mossy didn't use them before 1968 so my guess this gun is that old. I'm in Iowa.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by erawtik; September 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Backwoodsboy

Yes you can hunt deer with that set-up but it is not reccomemded due to the tight constrictions of the choke and the possibility of deformation when the slug passes through it causing excess pressure. yes you can hunt squirrels with that set-up but you will have to remove a few bb from the carcass if you intend to eat. I would reccomend buying a new barrel for deer hunting of any kind.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Pistolgripshotty

$100 bucks man what a steal...
Old September 23, 2012, 08:38 AM   #8
PetahW

Yep, $100's a steal.

A 30" bb' is usually much too long for hunting in close/brushy areas, for two reasons:

1)Most are choked too tightly (full choke), meaning the shot must be spot-on to hit, but all those pellets will make meat inedible.

2) The longer bbl usually will get hung up in branches. etc, if/when a sudden game shot is presented.

The 30" bbl, however is preferred for when the gun must be swung steadily, as when shooting long range (where the shot pattern will have a chance to open before impacting game), shooting Sporting Clays and/or Trap (where you want as many pellets on the clay pigeon as possible to break it).

Those Mossbergs used to be sold as Combo's - a 28" bbl and a 18" or 20" deer barrel with rifle-type sights.

If you want to hunt deer, I would suggest buying a deer barrel w/sights to use deer slugs, OR

get a screw-on side-mount scope mount, a 2x shotgun scope (for good eye relief), sight it in and dance with who brung ya.

Old September 23, 2012, 09:07 AM   #9
shortwave

You could hunt turkey with this setup as well.

As far as deer hunting using slugs, you'll definitely want to test different slugs to see what groups best and the distance you can accurately hit about a 6" circle consistently.

Since you got the shotgun at such a good deal, if it were me, I'd look for a dedicated slug bbl. and a multi-choke bbl. They can be easily found very reasonable and you may even be able to work your 30" fixed full bbl. in on a trade.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:42 AM   #10
erawtik

So sounds like i should look into getting rid of the barrel and look for smaller. If so what should i be asking for out of this one it has plenty of wear on it but it is nice and shiny in the inside? Or if i cant get rid of it mabey cut it down? What length?
Old September 23, 2012, 12:26 PM   #11
big al hunter

Find a local gun Smith and find out how much he would charge to cut your barrel down and install threaded chokes. And try to find a fully rifled barrel for deer.
Old September 23, 2012, 12:29 PM   #12
big al hunter

Link that may helpMossberg.com
Old September 23, 2012, 12:44 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

Shoot the gun as is. Don't drop money on it when a new or not to used Mossberg taking chome tubes can be had for a couple hundred (especially if you consider the Maverick).
Old September 23, 2012, 12:59 PM   #14
BB61

Have choke tubes installed

I have 2 Rem 1100's both were 30" full choke I waterfowl hunt so 26" barrel works better in the duck blind. I took the barrel to a local gunsmith and he sent it off and had them cut and choke tubes installed for about $130 had these done about 10 yrs apart price did not change much and you get imp cyl, mod and full tubes and wrench true choke system I am very happy the way they came out had them back in a little more than a week

Last edited by BB61; September 23, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old September 23, 2012, 03:09 PM   #15
WV_gunner

I'd keep the long barrel. Should be great for turkey. You could also use smaller buckshot in it with decent results if your state allows shot for deer. If you want to use slugs, a barrel with no or little choke. Rifled barrels are nice, but ammo is expensive. So a smooth bore is the cheaper route with rifled slugs.
Old September 23, 2012, 04:34 PM   #16
erawtik

another thought hack the barrel down, order the tactical kit i seen for like 85 and now it is a hd gun and just look at something else for deer?
Old September 23, 2012, 08:52 PM   #17
shortwave

My HD shotgun doubles as my deer shotgun.

The reason I suggested possibly trading the full bbl. for either a deer bbl. or a bbl. threaded for chokes. At least you would get something out of the long bbl.

I've seen used,decent Mossy 500 slug and multi- choked bbls. for $50-$75 at more then a few LGS's.

Say you find one of each for $75, that's $150...now you've got $250 total invested. If they give ya a mere $40 trade-in for your long bbl, you've got $210 total in a gun you can use for HD and any kind of hunting you want.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:16 PM   #18
erawtik

Well told the wife my idea she said i shouldnt. She said just keep this and mabey some day il want to try goose/turkey or what ever this gun would be good for and look for another gun.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:08 AM   #19
scottd913

the best thing about the m500 is that you can interchange the barrels for any occasion. i have mine setup for hd/sd it has a phoenix recoil reduction stock (which makes shooting slugs a breeze) and a 18 inch barrel and in just a few minutes i can put on my long barrel and the wood furniture and skeet shoot and when i return home i can tear it down,clean and return it back to my hd/sd shotgun and place it back next to my bed (which takes me about 15 minutes) in time for a cold beer and supper. don't worry about that barrel keep it or cut it down and buy an other barrel to suit your needs and as far as changing the stock set up if you want i can help you with that just pm me ill be more than happy to guide you along. i have less than 300 dollars in mine and it serves many purposes. go to www.cheaperthandirt.com click where is says Mossberg 500 and look around there they have stocks,barrels and every thing you could wish to find for that Mossberg i promise.
Old September 25, 2012, 04:25 PM   #20
WV_gunner

Mine was $125 with a wood stock and 24 inch rifled barrel. I've added a 6 shot side saddle to it.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:22 AM   #21
jrothWA

What you have is good for..

late season pheasants, early squirrels, goose & duck using notixic shot [ but smaller shot size due to full choke.

For small game, may I suggest buying a 24" or 26" replacement barrel that has the choke tubes?? then for brushy / close cover use a SKEET or Improved Cylinder tube. if for deer the either smoothbore sluge barrel with rifle sights or the rifles (berrel interior) for sabot slugs. There are scope mount to attached to left-side for scope use.

Also the 30" barrel is good for trap shooting from 20 yard line and back to get in practice.