The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 12, 2008, 04:05 PM   #26
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
My Dad asked me if I wanted to deer hunt with him. It involved getting up early, so guess what that answer was? Dad's gone and I really regret missing what would have been some of my most joyful days as a youth.
i was going to heavily critique your post until i read this...
this explains EVERYTHING you typed.... you have daddy issues

i never wanted to go hunting with my father as a child either.... 22 years later... i still dont like hunting

instead of my father literally dragging me into doing something against my will, he made the effort to do things with me that we both enjoyed... i had a great childhood

dont force your 5 1/2 year old to go hunting and shame on your husband for putting his desire to force his hobby before the well being and happiness of his child

he doesnt want to do it for her own good, he just wants to do it... and everyone else be damned
Old December 12, 2008, 04:10 PM   #27
MeNoLikeTofu

Thanks, ya'll, for your advice! Like I stated earlier, I'd like you all to gang up on my hubby and beat this into him!!!!
My little girl does, in fact, watch Bambi. She also has been with me to pick up our meat from the butchers and has seen bambi and elk and what-not strung up and bleeding. She is, because of me and my sister, desensitized to death and dead things. I would enjoy and mother/daughter kind of outing, but Brian would probably (I'm willing to bet would be) upset that I "invaded" on "his thing" with our daughter.
I probably wouldn't have a problem with it if he were in a stand or something like that, but the hubster hikes and walks miles. I wouldn't be suprised if she could keep up with the hiking and such, she's such a runner/walker. I think, however, that after a short time she'd want to be done.
We would definitely get ear protection for her. I took a pistol marksmanship this semester, and she had to come just about every class. Of course she wore ear protection, and she didn't mind. I'd definitely insist on the best for her.
Hogdogs, thanks for the "nummy nums" comment; it made me laugh. You got my baby down! She's a sucker for snacks!

BeCoole: I understand where you're coming from about not letting her decide. Some things, she has no choice in the matter, but others, she does. I wouldn't want to take her or let Brian take her with her not wanting to go especially with the possibility of turning her off to it forever. I've always told her that she has to try something (almost everything) at least once. She does get some choice in when she wants to try.
Also, she's never gotten life sugarcoated by me. In fact, most of my family gets upset at me for being "too honest" with lifes little life things. She's knows about death, she's seen dead animals, and she's pretty much fine with it.

kraigwy: Your granddaughter is lucky to have a grandpa as great as you!
My father had taught me to be nice first, because you can always be mean later, but once you've been mean to someone, they won't believe the nice anymore. So be nice, be nice, until it's time to stop being nice, then destroy them.
Old December 12, 2008, 04:11 PM   #28
MeNoLikeTofu

Thanks, MrNiceGuy.
My father had taught me to be nice first, because you can always be mean later, but once you've been mean to someone, they won't believe the nice anymore. So be nice, be nice, until it's time to stop being nice, then destroy them.
Old December 12, 2008, 05:24 PM   #29
JagFarlane

Quote:
I would enjoy and mother/daughter kind of outing, but Brian would probably (I'm willing to bet would be) upset that I "invaded" on "his thing" with our daughter.
Perhaps, then, suggest in the spring a family outing, include him along. However, it seems apparent you enjoy the outdoors, and its not just "his thing", its actually rather selfish for him to claim everything to do with outdoors. Hell, maybe even try to convince him that if she sees that mommy enjoys it as well, and has good experiences with her mother, she'd be more open the next year.
My brother was never really into hunting, he went a couple of times with us, but for the most part it was Dad and me time. Dad was always good with it though, took him along when he really wanted, and taught him what he wanted to know, but understood his limits.
Its good that she at least knows the real forms of animals, and has been taught more in her young years, than many adults have been.
I've known some people [2 brothers and a sister], that it took till they were 30 before the hunting bug finally bit, and now they look forwards every year to hunting season just because its time with Dad, LOL with mom not allowed. Everyone has their time if, and when, they decide to, he needs to understand though, to give her the room she wants.

And worst comes to worst...when he's off hiking for miles...get some mom/daughter time in anyways
Old December 12, 2008, 06:20 PM   #30
BeCoole

Quote:
dont force your 5 1/2 year old to go hunting and shame on your husband for putting his desire to force his hobby before the well being and happiness of his child
What does a 5 yo know about hunting if they've never done it?

Anyway, that is all hypothetical because a 5 yo is too small to keep up in the woods.
I just took my 8yo out still hunting with me for the first time this year. He's finally big enough to do a real hunt. Before it was just short trips into the squirrel woods and sometimes even that didn't go well. It was no fun for either of us carrying him through the brier patches.
Old December 12, 2008, 06:48 PM   #31
fisherman66

Quote:
I'd like you all to gang up on my hubby and beat this into him!!!!
Perhaps I married a dominatrix and didn't realize it. If my wife wants it done a certain way, it gets done that way just so I don't have to hear about it later. I don't know; if you can't pull the strings to get it done your way, what make you think we can?

Get 'er done honey. You've got the power and don't even know it. Me, I get it rubbed in my face every day. Fer better or worse.
Old December 12, 2008, 07:20 PM   #32
Buzzcook

This is between you and your husband. If you can not convince him on your own, pointing to the opinions of a bunch of folks on the intertubes will likely just p!ss him off.
Old December 12, 2008, 07:46 PM   #33
davlandrum

My middle boys (8 and 6) asked if they can go next year. They have been out for over-nighters with both me and thier Grandpa. They both like to shoot their bows and bb guns.

The short trips have been fun for them, very low-key. I accepted the fact that a few of "my" hunting days were really just going to be hikes with them where I just happened to be carrying my bow along.

I guess they were fun enough to get them to ask about really going next year, full week deal. It obviously will be a lot more serious hunting, but hopefully still fun.

Every kid is different, as is every parent. I knew mine would eventually ask, and by asking they made a choice.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 12, 2008, 09:37 PM   #34
MeNoLikeTofu

Thanks

When I said that ya'll should gang up on him, it was sarcasm. Believe me when I say that the reason she hasn't gone is because I've said no.
I know this is a decision between me and my husband, but I wanted other hunters' advice. The only people I know that have hunted are my Grandpa, husband, and in-laws. The in-laws think she should've been out with them since my daughter was three, but my Grandpa has agreed that I should wait before letting her go out.
The purpose of this post was to see what other hunting parties thought of it. I'm open to others' opinions because I know I'm not always open-minded when I think something isn't right. It's difficult to see things from other viewpoints when my husband is, for the most part, the only other voice I hear.
Thank you all for open opinions.
Old December 12, 2008, 10:15 PM   #35
Greg.B

Here's my opinion; take it for what it's worth, but I think there's some valuable information for both you and your husband. First, is she too young for you or your husband to be considering doing this? In my opinion, no, she's not, but she is at the very young end of the spectrum to which I would introduce her to an actual hunt, and would take some special steps because of that.

Now, considering the above, this decision, as others have stated, should be discussed between you and your husband; however, as a person that deals with youth quite a bit (Hunter Education Instructor, Boy Scout Leader, assisting with NRA Youth Sportsfest, etc.) I also believe that your daughter should have the ultimate decision in this process, with guidance from both parents.

Both of you (parents) first need to work out the concerns that you have, which I believe was the primary point of your first post. In my opinion, this part should be done in private, and should cover specific concerns such as getting lost, is she too young, is she going to be supervised, etc. These must be addressed first between the two of you, and some guidelines established so that you are both comfortable with the situation. If that means things such as being restricted to a certain distance from home, a certain location or length of time for the outing, etc., then that's what must be done. You both have to be comfortable with this decision; however, don't forget...after you've established what's acceptable to both of you, then there's much more to do. Don't forget, she may not even want to go even though mom and dad have agreed that it would be alright!

So, after the two of you have settled any concerns and come to an agreement, involve her in the decision process by talking to her about it. Cover things such as getting up early, being cold and possibly bored, walking for a while or sitting still depending on the style of hunt, and the fact that she may see an animal die. Explain that one to her particularly...she'll probably have questions. Be prepared and be truthful. For example, if she asks if the animal will feel it, then you tell her yes, but you should explain to her how important it is that we take every step to ensure that there is absolutely as little suffering as possible, and that the animal is being taken for a reason. You don't have to go into great detail at this age, but don't mislead her; prepare her for what she might experience.

Then temper those possibly negative things that you've just made her aware of with the positive aspects of this opportunity...things like being in the outdoors, what animals she might get to see in their natural surroundings, and the fact that she would get to spend some quality time with dad doing something that he enjoys and wants to share with her. Be prepared to accomodate her; for example, if getting out of bed early is a great concern of hers, suggest an afternoon hunt. If she doesn't like the sound of sitting, be ready to do some still hunting. Accomodate HER to make it an enjoyable experience if she should decide to go, even if it inconveniences dad by interrupting his normal hunting style.

You'll be surprised how she'll think this through with your help, and she will be able to make her own decision, again, with your help! Make sure she understands that it's ok to say no, and that other opportunities will be available later if she changes her mind. I'm a firm believer that the ultimate decision (once the safety and technical details have been worked out between you two parents) should be hers. If she doesn't want to go, then PLEASE don't force her. Offer her the opportunity later this year, next year, and the year after that, but never force her to do it if she doesn't want to try it herself. Even offer her alternatives that maybe the family can participate in together; she may not want to hunt, but you may find that she enjoys shooting (shooting at balloons with a .22 is a great way for a family to spend an afternoon...from experience )

If she chooses to go, then great! If she want's mommy to go along, then by all means, join them! Again, at her age, she's certainly on the young end in my opinion, but there are ways to encourage her and ensure a happy outing the first few times: Keep them short and fun, and close to home. Take snacks and a drink, maybe even a coloring book and crayons. Expect her to be restless, and to talk; dad should talk with her, point out things in nature to her, joke around with her; in short, make sure she has a good time no matter what!

Most importantly, EXPECT her to be ready to go home in an hour or less; and when she express that desire, the outing is over; everyone goes home together! That way she sees that it's ok to end the outing when you're no longer enjoying it, and that an hour in the woods with dad and/or mom is a good thing that both of them can enjoy, and that you aren't upset with her in any way for wanting to come home!

The importance of these early outings isn't to take an animal; if that happens, it's just an added bonus. However, that can't be used to judge a successful hunt with a youngster...the true success will be evident by the smile on the faces of everyone involved if it's done right!
NRA Member | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | NRA Certified Rifle Instructor | NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor | Indiana Hunter Education Instructor | BSA Scoutmaster | BSA Merit Badge Counselor

Last edited by Greg.B; December 12, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old December 13, 2008, 09:23 AM   #36
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I have visions of a Jeff Foxworthy routine: Daddy & Daughter are sitting in a deer stand. She's mostly bored. She sees the biggest buck in ten counties, and Daddy's looking the wrong direction. "Look, Daddy, a deer!" He turns to see the tail end of a disappearing monster buck...

Take two cars. Make a "picnic" sort of deal out of it, with a small amount of "woods wandering". After some appropriate length of time, Daddy can stay and hunt. Mom'n'Youngun can head for home.

Make the deal fun for all.

And IMO there is no way that the very-young belong in hunt camp without dedicated supervision--and lots of help in avoiding boredom...
Old December 13, 2008, 11:21 AM   #37
FireForged

Each Family situation is different but here is my take:

Most children at 5 years old, totally revere animals. I would probably wait until the child is older and expressed an interest in hunting.

Tags
age , young