The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 5, 2008, 08:54 PM   #1
ISC

How can I tell if my AR has a chrome lined barrel?

I have a couple ARs that I got used and I don't know if they have chrome lined bores. How can I find out?
Old November 5, 2008, 11:12 PM   #2
vzenmn

There will be CL (chrome lined) stamped on the top of the barrel near the muzzle along with a company name, rifle twist, and other things. Also if you shine a light in the bore a chrome lined bore might be brighter then a chrome moly bore.
Old November 5, 2008, 11:42 PM   #3
hardhit

I have a SAKO TRG and it has a chrome lined bore, the crown on the muzzle shows a stainless steel like brightness, and the chrome lining just protrudes to the edge of the crown, When the bore is just cleaned it looks like the chrome on a Harley exhaust pipe.
Old November 6, 2008, 05:14 AM   #4
10-96

VZENMN,
Not neccessarily, I've got a 20" CL bbl with 1:9 twist and the ONLY markings on it are " E3 **** " stamped on the left side about 3" from the chamber end. I haven't dug anything up on either the E3 or the astericks, but if anybody else has a chance to get one- they're great bbl's.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 6, 2008, 06:47 AM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

Not all chrome-lined barrels are stamped externally. The easiest way to tell is to take off the flash hider and check the muzzle - you will normally see a dull gray ring around the muzzle of the bore on chrome-lined barrels. You can also check from the chamber end (look for a dull gray ring around the chamber after you clean it); but there are a small amount of Colts with a chromed chamber and unlined bore out there.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Alleykat

You could also check the side of the receiver and see if the word, "Bushmaster" appears there. Unless it's a varmint or DCM model, it'll be chrome-lined.
Old November 6, 2008, 10:28 AM   #7
k Squared

Brand?

ISC,

If you give us the manufacturer, model and serial number, we might help to answer your question.
Old November 6, 2008, 12:23 PM   #8
ISC

I got it from CMMG as one of their bargain bin specials last year for $600. It had a DPMS lower and the barrel was marked 1:7. It didn't have "chrome bore" or anything like that stamped on it so I assume it was unlined.

I was trying to figure out if I should sell it or a different one that I have with a rail system and ACOG on a Doublestar lower. It is stamped "5.56 NATO CHROMED". I swapped out the DPMS lower with 6 pos stock for the doublestar lower with 4 pos stock.

The one I'm keeping has:

a generic rail system
Knights rail covers
Knights forward pistol grip
fake ACOG
1:7 chrome lined bore
DPMS lower w/ 6 pos stock

I have about $700 into it. I was going to sell it for $1150 but I think I'll keep it instead.
Old November 6, 2008, 12:40 PM   #9
jacktalley

What does this mean?

I just checked my Colt A-2, HBAR, Sporter and it had a "C" followed by an "MP" with the "P" being part of the "M." It also had the .223 and the .556 designations with a 1 in 7 twist. Anybody know what the C MP means? Thanks.
Old November 6, 2008, 03:21 PM   #10
RockyMtnTactical

Where did you buy them from, what markings are on the barrels??

Quote:
There will be CL (chrome lined) stamped on the top of the barrel near the muzzle along with a company name, rifle twist, and other things.
That is not always true.
Old November 6, 2008, 04:13 PM   #11
jacktalley

Rockymtn: If you mean me, I actually bought it used from a dealer and, now that I think about it, he told me that the local county sheriff brought it in and they went with a larger caliber rifle instead of the AR-15. It had not been shot much as it had not been cleaned when I bought it. I cleaned it. I wonder if the MP would mean Military Police? It's a Colt but doesn't appear to have anything different about it. The markings on the barrel are - C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR Thanks.
Old November 6, 2008, 05:08 PM   #12
10-96

Anybody else have one with only E3 and four astericks stamped on it?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 6, 2008, 05:15 PM   #13
IZinterrogator

Quote:
I wonder if the MP would mean Military Police?
That means it was magnetic particle inspected.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old November 6, 2008, 06:24 PM   #14
Alleykat

Chances are the el-cheapo doesn't have a chrome-lined barrel.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:52 AM   #15
scoobydoo6906

On colt rifles and a lot of others the "c" stands for chrome lined, and the "mp" is stands for magnetic particle tested.