The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2017, 09:01 PM   #1
snowman748

Brazilian shotgun

Ok, so I recently got my hands on a Brazilian CBC 410 single shot shotgun that was imported by FIE. It has a 3" chamber and a full choke. I'm about to start living on a piece of property out in the country where snakes are a problem. To save on weight (mostly bulkiness) I was wondering if I would lose much from cutting the barrel down to 18" long. I understand I'd lose the bead and some velocity but for a snake slayer I don't think it will be an issue. I'm just curious because I've never had a 410 before. I've always stuck with 12 gauge.
Old September 14, 2017, 11:49 AM   #2
johnwilliamson062

YOu will also lose whatever choke it has, which wouldn't be much of an issue for snakes. I recommend 18.5 just to be safe.
It probably won't make it all that much handier out in the field. Short shotguns are for interior use and in and out of vehicles primarily. The barrel walls are thinner and lighter than most rifle barrels.
Old September 14, 2017, 12:00 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...recommend 18.5 just to be safe..." Legally wise. Thou shalt CYA. Watching where you put your hands and feet will work better than relying on a shotgun though. Kaa is known for his speed. He's also well known for feeding on beasts like rats.
You'll probably find the barrel walls are thicker than you'd think. Isn't an issue anyway though. Use a pipe cutter and remember you have to deburr and file the muzzle flat and square.
Old September 14, 2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Pahoo

Your call !!!

Quote:
I don't think it will be an issue. I'm just curious because I've never had a 410 before.
For your listed intended purpose, you should have no problem. You can also use it for general home protection. Other than that, you lose other practical uses. It's your firearm and your call but personally, I'd leave it, as is and as previously replied, make it 18-1/2" inches. ......

Oh yes, cut the good snakes, some slack ......

Be Safe !!!
Old September 15, 2017, 09:59 AM   #5
the possum

Right now you can buy 12 ga target loads at Wallyworld for 20 cents a shot. I haven't seen .410 that cheap in a loooong time. So it would be cheaper to blast snakes with a 12 ga these days, ironically.
Old September 17, 2017, 11:13 AM   #6
FITASC

Let's hope it works for more than a few shots.....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 18, 2017, 06:30 PM   #7
snowman748

Update

Ok, a little update. I went ahead and cut the barrel off. I'll try to get pictures for the cut and everything later. I forgot to take pictures of the process but honestly it seemed really easy. First thing I did was measured 18.5" from the breakface, marked it, & remeasured it. Took a pipe cutter and ran it a few times around the barrel to scar the surface. Remeasured it. Then took a small piece of masking tape about 3/4"-1" wide and laid it next to the scored mark on the barrel. Lined up a "push punch" with the existing front sight bead (I eye balled it but it's really close). Made a nice indent. Then using a front sight kit I bought at Brownells for under $13 (came with a drill bit, tap and two front sights) I drilled the front sight hole, then tapped it and ran the front sight in to make sure it fit. Took the front sight back out. Removed the masking tape and cut the barrel off at the scarred 18.5" mark. Remeasured a last time. Filed the end of the barrel and inside to clean it up front the pipe cutter. Reinstalled the front sight and looked down the barrel to see it protruded into the barrel. Took the front sight back out and used a hand sander with 80 grit paper to remove material. I did it in increments to make sure I didn't remove to much. When I felt comfortable with it no longer protruding into the barrel I took it out, put a bit of blue lock tight on it and put it back in as tight as I could. Put some masking tape inside the barrel and around the outside so just the fresh cut metal was showing. Spray painted it flat black to keep it from rusting. All in all I'm really happy with it however the two bead sights I got in the kit were bigger then the bead on it originally. I guess it was a 12 gauge kit? Idk but worth it for 30 mins of work and $13 dollars.