The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Closed Thread

Old June 11, 2013, 11:14 PM   #1
craZivn

Leather Holster Bleeding, Bad Smell, Need Help

So, received a new leather holster yesterday, and have some problems which I would like some advice on.

First off, it smells like rotten beef jerky. It's bad. The smell stays on my fingers after handling the holster and it's nauseating. This is the worst of the problems.

Secondly, after wearing the holster for a few hours it left a dye stain where it pressed against my pants.

Third, there are bits of flesh on the inside of the holster, some of which I pulled off (it peeled off like dead skin).

Returning the holster to the manufacturer is not an option, I made the mistake of applying Sno-Seal to the holster before I wore it so it is not returnable.

I don't need to hear how stupid I am for applying the Sno-Seal etc. etc. I know that already. I'm just looking for input on steps I can take to get rid of the symptoms I listed and have a usable holster.

Thanks much,
Ivan
Old June 11, 2013, 11:23 PM   #2
BarryLee

Have you contacted the manufacture to see what they recommended?

In my experience odor tends to go away after a little time, so you might just leave it out where it can breathe. As for the staining not really sure, but maybe you could try wiping it down or maybe sealing it with something like renaissance wax.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 12, 2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Really, bits of flesh? Are you sure it's just not part of the inside of the leather? Some holsters have a rough interior with little pieces of the hide fiber loose.

Either way, contact the maker. Tell them what you did and then explain the dye issue along with the strong smell issue. I can't imagine what you applied caused it to bled but you never know. The rotted smell, on a new holster is odd.

Some leather has a stronger smell than others, but I've never smelled one I considered rotten. Either way, new leather smell usually fades with time.

I think it's worth a call to maker and see what they say.

Curious, who made this holster?
Old June 12, 2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

Could very well be made with Mexican tanned leather. They (reportedly) use horse urine for tanning and it stinks. I mean, really stinks.
Against your body the 'stain' is from body moisture. Not the fault of the holster.
I think you are stuck with an inferior product. Suck it up and move on.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:41 AM   #5
deepcreek

Leather comes in a wide array of quality it sounds like you have very poor leather.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6
JerryM

I guess you would not want to tell us the maker? I cannot believe that a top maker like Sparks would put out such a holster.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 12, 2013, 12:10 PM   #7
craZivn

The bits of "flesh" may be hide fibers as Kreyzhorse suggests. But they weren't the little bits that usually rub off when the gun is run in and out of the holster the first few times. The largest was the size of a dime, I've never experienced this kind of leather before.

Here are some pics of the holster:

Rifleman, the holster was not against my body, it was on the outside of my belt. It was not excessively humid or anything yesterday so I don't think it was moisture.

As for the smell, the closest thing I could imagine to compare it to is if you left a car locked up tight for a few Summer days with an open packet of jerky on the dashboard. I usually love the smell of new leather but I've never experienced a smell like this.

The holster is a Silver Dollar by Simply Rugged. I have already contacted the maker and asked if there were any methods I could use to get rid of the smell or the bleeding, and if I hadn't applied the Sno-Seal he would have re-topcoated the holster and paid shipping both ways. Since I applied the Sno-Seal though, he said "Not much you can do or we can do at this point."

Which I take to mean that I'm on my own with this. So all constructive input is greatly valued. Thanks all for the replies so far, keep 'em coming!

Ivan
Old June 12, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
SSA

I would put it outside to dry and air out. Direct sunlight, as much in the breeze as possible. I would expect this to take a long time.
Old June 12, 2013, 03:04 PM   #9
deepcreek

Reminds me of when I purchased a leather belt in Mexico, the outside was smooth/tanned but the inside would chip off and fall to pieces. Day 3 of the belt, I was in a rain storm and the belt melted into a strange mess.
Old June 12, 2013, 03:32 PM   #10
redrick

If you have a leather supply store around, you can get some Eco-Flo Super Shene to keep it from bleeding, but it might not work since you used Sno-Seal on it.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Evan Thomas

Quote:
If you have a leather supply store around, you can get some Eco-Flo Super Shene to keep it from bleeding, but it might not work since you used Sno-Seal on it.
Given that Sno-Seal is a wax/silicone compound, and that the Eco-Flo products are water based, I don't think that would work out too well.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Daggitt

Newspaper is an incredible absorbent of moisture and odor. I would put it in a large tub or plastic trash can with a bunch of crumpled newspaper and maybe a bag of cedar shavings. Put it in your basement or someplace dry and cool. Wait 30 days and see what you've got.
Old June 13, 2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Rifleman1776

Moisture from the body escapes through clothing.
Whatever.
I think at this point to just rescue the holster to be usable, forgetting appearance, I use neatsfoot oil on many leather items. Soak or apply very liberally, let the leather absorb it all. Then let it set on newspapers for several days. Rub down and use. Do not wear with good clothes for a while.
Personally, I don't believe the Sno Seal should have voided any warranties. That was just an excuse the company grabbed at. It doesn't speak well for them. IMHO, they are a company to avoid doing business with.
Old June 13, 2013, 08:29 AM   #14
JerryM

I would throw it in a drawer with mistakes I have bought and get a real quality holster from Sparks or another top maker.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 13, 2013, 10:27 AM   #15
craZivn

Great suggestions from all, I think I'm gonna try Daggit's with the newspaper, and if that doesn't work, I'll go with either Jerry's or SSA's (maybe a local dog will pick it up and enjoy a deliciously smelly $71 chew toy)

And of course, as Rifleman suggests I am done with this company. I have been pleased with Side Guard in the past, and Sparks has popped up in this thread so I will check them out as well.

Thank you all for the help!

Ivan
Old June 13, 2013, 12:27 PM   #16
wogpotter

Put some baking soda in with the newspaper. Baking soda is both a good drying agent & an amazing smell absorber.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 13, 2013, 01:15 PM   #17
JWT

You can also try ground coffee. It helps remove odor and can impart a better odor too.
Old June 13, 2013, 01:20 PM   #18
ChasingWhitetail91

I agree with setting it up somewhere to cure a little longer. Give it a couple weeks of hanging in a dry area then maybe try putting a conditioner on it and see if that helps.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:09 AM   #19
JerryM

craZivn,

Consider Fist holsters. They just might be the best of the moderate priced holsters. I have the #12 Basic for my J Frame, and it is an excellent holster. I especially like the way the front is cut out slightly.
Take a look at Fist if you want a reasonably fast delivery, and a really good holster at a lower price than the top makers.
http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm

Jerry
Old June 20, 2013, 10:37 AM   #20
newfrontier45

Simply Rugged IS a top brand and I'm surprised at the response. So surprised in fact that I'm thinking we haven't heard all of this story. They certainly do not use cheap leather. So I'm baffled that it smells so bad.

Quote:
Soak or apply very liberally, let the leather absorb it all.
This is NOT a good idea at all. Oil should be used very sparingly. Soak leather in oil and the cells within the leather will absorb more than they can hold and burst. Oil-softened leather has actually broken down and there is no saving it. The holster was probably oiled after dyeing and shouldn't be oiled again for at least a year.
Old June 20, 2013, 10:42 AM   #21
JerryM

[They certainly do not use cheap leather. So I'm baffled that it smells so bad.]

There is obviously something lacking in their holsters or this would not have occurred. I question whether they are really a top brand based upon this thread.
I would submit that no one has ever gotten such leather from Sparks or Del Fatti, for example.

Based upon this thread I would not even consider a holster from Simply Rugged.

Jerry
Old June 20, 2013, 05:21 PM   #22
newfrontier45

You have to be quite the closed-minded individual to damn a whole brand because of ONE half of one story from an anonymous internet source. Rob is a friend and has been in business for quite a few years and this is the first bad experience I've heard of. I'm sure he gets his leather from Wickett & Craig or some other reputable source and wouldn't knowingly ship a holster that had something wrong with it. That said, I don't know why somebody gets a new holster and immediately starts putting crap on it.

Quote:
I would submit that no one has ever gotten such leather from Sparks or Del Fatti, for example.
Yes, I'm sure those makers are perfect, everybody that works in their shop is perfect and they have never made an imperfect product.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:03 PM   #23
JerryM

[You have to be quite the closed-minded individual to damn a whole brand because of ONE half of one story from an anonymous internet source.]

Maybe, but your friend or not he evidently put out a sorry product this time. I have no patience with 2nd rate products. So I am closed minded in such cases. One chance for quality and then out. So with this maker.

Normally I might take the internet posts with a grain of salt, but in this case I see no reason the poster would fake anything. He just wanted a fine holster and got junk.
It does not take much to ruin a reputation for a holster maker if he does not check the product before he sends it.
I doubt it will significantly damage him, but it does for me.

Yes the makers I mentioned are pretty close to perfect and put out products that reflect that.

Jerry
Old June 20, 2013, 09:14 PM   #24
newfrontier45

Nonsense. EVERYBODY puts out a bad one every once in a while. No one is exempt. If you really believe otherwise, you're living in fantasyland.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen someone get on a board running down a leathermaker, gunsmith or manufacturer only to find out that there's a lot being left out. There are three sides to every story and we've only heard one. Sno Seal recommends heating the leather before applying their product, I have to wonder if it might've gotten too hot.

He received a leather product and proceeded to slather it with an aftermarket treatment. I do part-time leatherwork and no, I wouldn't honor any warranty either. Use it normally as-issued and yes, of course. Modify it in any way or treat it with anything but a light application of oil and if it falls in half both halves are yours. Do you really expect a leathermaker to replace a holster that someone has treated with an aftermarket waterproofer???

Try calling one of your perfect makers and ask them if Sno Seal voids the warranty, particularly if it causes the problem in the first place.
Old June 20, 2013, 10:41 PM   #25
JerryM

Sure Snow Seal would void the warranty, but it wouldn't cause such odor.
I have Used SS on boots and leather for years and there was never a hint of problems such as the OP. The photos show a mess that is not a result of SS.

When you see such a mess in the top makers work please let us know.

Anyway it is a waste of time to continue to discuss this. If you want to defend the indefensible, and excuse the inexcusable then continue. I am persuaded that the maker is not up to my standards, and also that the OP did a very dumb thing.
I find it strange that anyone wants to put oil or something like SS on a custom holster. It is a case of ignorance as to what holsters are supposed to be and how to break them in and care for them.

Custom holsters are not boots that you wear in the snow.

Jerry
Closed Thread