The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 04:22 PM   #26
Panfisher

"There was a very wise and respected 'shotgun' guru that when asked by new shotgun owners here on this forum what they could add to their shotgun for HD...."Wear marks" was his answer."

That is quite possibly the absolute best I answer I have ever heard about things to add to a SD or HD weapon of any kind to make it a better tool.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:17 PM   #27
Sabre9mm

Yeah I like that quote a lot too. Useless if you are not confident handling it.

I picked up 100 rounds of the slugger today for the closet, price and data just made it a safe choice for a *in need * scenario, about to order some more of the suggested loads to play with and see which I will put tin my shock and awe collection.

With any luck I will be putting a few of them downrange tomorrow to test out that new setup and see how much the kicklite does indeed kick.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:28 PM   #28
Sabre9mm

Just curious, how does one determine that they have the .730 barrel, it is a Mossberg 500 SP.

According to what I find here http://www.dixieslugs.com/forum1/vie...50b7e1b1cb479f it lists the 500 as ok, but mine does not take a choke, are all 500s the same minus the end of the barrel, or would there be another resource for finding this out?
Old January 5, 2013, 12:27 AM   #29
jmortimer

I believe the Mossberg is .730" fully rifled barrel. Email James Gates the owner and ask. Unfortunately they are out of stock of everything due to the current shortage until further notice.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:40 AM   #30
Lee Lapin

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...acturers_id/37

At about $4 per round by the time you pay shipping, they ought to work wonders...

I'm happy with Brenneke KOs - still a hard lead alloy slug that won't easily flatten, with sharp shoulders so it cuts a cookie cutter hole, plenty accurate and cheap enough to buy by the case... at least they used to be, I haven't priced them since the craziness started.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:13 AM   #31
jmortimer

Brenneke Maximum Penetration Barrier Magnum is still "soft" - better than most slugs but still way below the Dixie DGS hard cast. According to Brenneke:

"Weight: 1 ⅜ oz.
Game: Law Enforcement
Barrel: Rifled or smoothbore
Chokes: all
Range: 100 yards +"

Anything you can safely swage through a full choke is "soft."
Old January 5, 2013, 11:38 AM   #32
Sabre9mm

I am not sure that referring to *game* as being *law enforcement* is completely PC in today's political climate...
Old January 5, 2013, 11:54 AM   #33
jmortimer

^ I never thought about that. Well Brenneke is Euro so who knows, their web designer may speak English as a second language. That is funny how things get translated, my favorite being cheap-a$$ Chinese instructions printed and translated in China with some seriously bad English. Worse than mine even.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:56 AM   #34
Sabre9mm

Yes, I received an email a few days ago dealing with a Chinese IT person, who said "I apologize for your patience..."

I laughed and laughed and laughed...