The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 26, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1
wink

Lyman Peep Sights/ Two Rifles

I need some technical advice regarding peep sights. For reasons which I will not go into here, I would like to put Lyman Peep sights on two of my rifles:
(1) Savage model 111G 30-06, this already has open sights with a dovetailed riser on the front; (2) Savage Mark II G .22 LR, which also currently has open sights.
I'm removing scopes from these weapons for service on other rifles. My problem is that I would like to put the peep sights on myself, but I am confused about which model of peep sight to order.
As far as the rear sight is concerned, I can't find any specific reference my Savage models on web sites which sell them. (I suppose that a Savage 110 is similar to a 111G, but I'd rather not guess.)
The front sight is even harder to choose for. It seems that there are several different heights and you must select the right one, but almost no advise on how to determine which one to use.
One would think that if a company was in the business of selling sights that they would publish a chart detailing acceptable selections for popular rifles. People who make car parts do this, I wonder why gun parts are not done the same way.
Just for reference: I plan to use the 30-06 with peep sights for deer hunting. For me it seems reasonable in that I have rarely killed a deer over 100 yards away, and never more than 150 yards. The .22 is so that I can get a lot of pactice at the range using peep sights without spending uber time at the reloading bench. If I like this, I might also want to put peep sights on my 10ML-II as well. It's a plan.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Wink
Old March 29, 2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

peep sights

wink:
I think your idead is a very wise one - I love peep sights. Go to Brownell and they will give you the correct sights.
Harry B.

Last edited by Harry Bonar; March 29, 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling