The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 14, 2005, 08:46 AM   #1
News Shooter

MA Governor calls for stockpiling

Governor Mitt Romney says MA residents should stockpile food and supplies in case of a flu pandemic...

That's fine, but if he really had big ones he would also announce his support of changing the laws so the people of his state would be allowed to protect their stockpiles
Old October 14, 2005, 09:58 AM   #2
MidKnight

Amen, brother.
Old October 14, 2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Jericho9mm

Gov. Romney is Mormon and they teach that you should have 1 years supply of food in storage just in case... i think this also applies to having one years suppliy of ammo for each gun too.
Old October 14, 2005, 11:52 AM   #4
Hulbert

Years supply

Ouch - if I had to store a year's supply of ammo then I'd need to buy a bigger house
Old October 14, 2005, 01:53 PM   #5
blackmind

Quote:
Governor Mitt Romney says MA residents should stockpile food and supplies in case of a flu pandemic...

That's fine, but if he really had big ones he would also announce his support of changing the laws so the people of his state would be allowed to protect their stockpiles

Um, how about the fact that hoarding supplies is actually ILLEGAL in some places. (I'm sure I read that somewhere. Now I have to go look for it.)

Well, it wouldn't be the first time a governor or mayor advocated people doing something that the idiot legislatures had already made illegal.

-blackmind
Old October 14, 2005, 01:55 PM   #6
blackmind

Maybe what I was thinking of was a law against commercial hoarding for the purposes of manipulating the price of commodities. I dunno.

If anyone has insight into it, please come forward.

-blackmind
Old October 14, 2005, 01:58 PM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
You mean they cant own ANY guns at all in Mass...not even in a home?

Wow

WildthatsterribleAlaska
Old October 14, 2005, 03:38 PM   #8
Clinot

^^^

You can but it really depends on where you live and what your local police chief is like. Some towns like my town are very well armed, the only wierdness about it is that around the local lakes the police have signs posted asking people not to discharge firearm. Go figure.

Although it is illegal and costly to persue, most of the inner cities will deny applications for firearms, in all regards even target shooting. Massachusetts is still a very conserative state the closer you are to the capital.
Old October 14, 2005, 03:45 PM   #9
News Shooter

Yes

Anyone can own a gun in MA, BUT they cannot do so without obtaining either a Firearms Identification Card (FID) or a License to Carry (LTC).
Both are issued by the local police department and have to gun through the background checks, training and high fees. If you're turned down then no, you can't own a gun legally.

The catch to the whole thing is that the issuance of licenses is TOTALLY at the whim of individual police chiefs. If your police chief is anti-Second Amendment, you're screwed and there are plenty of them.

Obtaining a license here is an onerous, expensive, time-consuming and generally unreasonable process. But, once you get it, things kind of open up. At least we don't have stupid waiting periods and one gun per month limits like some states.
The only downside once you get your card is that the state AG has severly limited the types of news handguns we can buy..Glock for example
Old October 14, 2005, 04:15 PM   #10
Edward429451

Quote:
Um, how about the fact that hoarding supplies is actually ILLEGAL in some places. (I'm sure I read that somewhere. Now I have to go look for it.)
Hmmmm. Thats the first thing that popped into my head when I read the thread title, for some reason. I can't recall where I read that but there may be something to it if we both got the same vibe.

It might be in the War Powers Act? Not sure. No time to look right now, back to work...

Anyone else?
Old October 14, 2005, 05:53 PM   #11
gddyup

MA sucks plain and simple. I'm glad I moved!

Come up to NH and enjoy the "shall issue" statute and the peacefulness of the great outdoors!

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old October 16, 2005, 08:20 PM   #12
k9lwt

You can but it really depends on where you live and what your local police chief is like. Some towns like my town are very well armed, the only wierdness about it is that around the local lakes the police have signs posted asking people not to discharge firearm. Go figure.

Clinot-are you saying it's wrong that people can't just start firing into the woods near a lake/reservoir? Lots of people walk/hike/swim in those areas and it makes sense to me that random rounds shouldn't be flying around there.
Old October 17, 2005, 12:16 AM   #13
Clinot

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9lwt
Clinot-are you saying it's wrong that people can't just start firing into the woods near a lake/reservoir? Lots of people walk/hike/swim in those areas and it makes sense to me that random rounds shouldn't be flying around there.
No, far from it . I agree with it and your logic really ties it all together, because to be honest it never occured to me to even shoot near a lake/stream (Know beyond thy target). But it makes perfect sense I just always thought it a bit humorous that they had to remind people of this.
Old October 17, 2005, 06:38 PM   #14
k9lwt

Thanks for clearing that up, scary-huh?
Old October 19, 2005, 03:49 PM   #15
losangeles

It's not just food and water that needs to be stockpiled. You're right, you need the ability to protect that stockpile, as part of the stockpile!
Old October 19, 2005, 05:40 PM   #16
ltdave

Quote:
hoarding supplies is actually ILLEGAL in some places
the war powers act that FDR ram rodded in the late 30s or 40s prohibited stockpiling more than 30 days worth of food...

WPA was NEVER repealed so technically hoarding IS illegal in 'some places'...

some places like the United States of America...

david