The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 19, 2017, 08:29 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Which is the better value?

I've got two pricey handguns on my list that I may or may not get as I've put these in the "wants" and not "needs" category. Here's what I'm looking at:

Option 1) A Thompson Center Encore .460 S&W with iron sights
AND
a spare .308 barrel with a scope on it, no BUIS.

Option 2) Magnum Research BFR in .45-70

Minus the scope for the .308 barrel, they're both comparable in price. We all know the pros and cons of the Encore; obviously my favorite part of the Encore is the ability to swap barrels, keeps the same trigger every time, etc. Price is high for a single shot pistol, but that's part of the territory.

BFR wise I like the higher capacity and being available in .45-70. For those who've read my posts in the "Big Revolver" thread, you may have seen I said I feel that .460 S&W is a modern .45-70.

What I like most is that the .45-70 is able to shoot three .45 caliber round balls, which in a revolver would be quite a short range affair, yet still be able to accurately shoot a heavy bullet.

Between the two, which do you think is a better buy? Which would YOU rather have if you had the money?
Old October 19, 2017, 08:46 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

I love the versatility of a Thompson. You have the option to go with any barrel/caliber of your choosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old October 20, 2017, 02:28 PM   #3
ShootistPRS

I used to think the Thompson was a great deal. For about $300 you could get extra barrels in most any caliber you wanted. I have one frame and five or six barrels and none of them get shot a lot. I do shoot all of them and have scopes or dot type sights that fit the caliber and range they are used at. If I want to shoot more than one caliber I rarely choose the Thompson. I take the guns I want to shoot and leave the Thompson at home. It is a hassle to change barrels at the range and the case for them is big and bulky.

As for the BFR, well, I wouldn't abuse my 67 year old body parts shooting full 45-70 loads from a revolver. I will stay with my 357 magnum and my 357 maximum (super mag) in my revolvers.

It's your body and your money so get what warms your heart and have fun with it.

Last edited by ShootistPRS; October 20, 2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old October 20, 2017, 02:51 PM   #4
roashooter

neither....have any value...for practical use...
Old October 20, 2017, 09:50 PM   #5
RIDE-RED 350r

Being an owner of a S&W 460v (shown in the big revolver thread) I'm kind of partial to it. And can't the Encore also be converted to a small rifle?? A 460 rifle seems like it would be quite a potent little carbine.

I never really developed a taste for single actions.

I vote Encore
Old October 21, 2017, 01:57 AM   #6
Old Stony

Not a fan of either. I have a couple Encores with a few extra barrels laying around here, and they just sit in a safe. I gave up trying to make good hunting rifles out of them some time back.
Old October 21, 2017, 10:24 AM   #7
Dufus

I voted for the BFR before, so I'll stick to it.
Old October 21, 2017, 10:50 AM   #8
TruthTellers

Seeing posts where guys have a TC and a few barrels, but most of those barrels are sitting around. I have no desire to own any other barrels than the .308 and .460. It would be those two and that's it.
Old October 21, 2017, 12:23 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"....460 S&W is a modern .45-70..." Nope. That'd be the .450 Marlin. And the .45-70 is not a hand gun cartridge except in a big kid's toy(they need their toys too).
"....45-70 is able to shoot three .45 caliber round balls..." Most of which are the wrong diameter for use in a .45-70's .458" barrel.
Anyway, very much doubt either of 'em would be on my "I want one." list. The .460 S&W is just Smith's answer to an unasked question. And the BFR is an expensive big kid's toy.
Old October 22, 2017, 12:02 AM   #10
ms6852

I've shot the 45/70 in the Thompson and surprisingly it was not that bad. But if I had to choose I would go with the Magnum Research BFR. It is a 5 shot gun and it would pair easily with an Alaskan takedown in 45/70 or an 1886 lever action. I love this calibers so much that I just bought a 1874 Sharps Quigly model.
Old October 23, 2017, 06:20 PM   #11
buck460XVR

I too am going to be one that says "neither".

If you want a BFR, get it in .460 S&W. Otherwise just get a X-Framed .460 and put some good optics on it. In the long run, a revolver is going to be more fun at the range than any Encore SS. For the most part, a BFR or a 10 5/8" X-Frame will give you better accuracy than any barrel you get from TC. I know this from experience. If I wanted a back-up dangerous game gun, it might be a guide gun in 45/70. Otherwise, I see little or no value in the cartridge, in any revolver, with all the other modern options out there.