The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 22, 2010, 11:16 PM   #26
sks

Still waiting

Well it has been a couple of weeks now and still no word on the M2000. I called the gun shop and it is still being looked at. Oh well. Hopefully in the next week or two it will come back good as new.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:02 AM   #27
kx592

Franchi for whoever asked. I finally had it jam every round on the range the other day. I cleaned it to much Took it home stripped it and cleaned out and greased bolt and rails up real good and works flawlessly. inertia guns really need to be lubricated good unlike a pump.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:04 AM   #28
colostomyclown

it sounds like a gas issue, but its an inertia driven gun...

try different ammo...some guns just dont like some ammo. feed it diverse and see what it likes, obviously its gonna require heavy loads. shoot some 3" out of it and put it in its place
Old May 23, 2010, 08:00 PM   #29
sks

I have shot over 200 rounds of 3" and 3.5" heavy loads through it but that didn't help the issue. I sure wish it had. That would have been the easy fix and is what was first suggested both here and on the Stoeger website.

I really like the way the gun points and feels and hope they can remedy this for me. Can't wait to take it quail hunting this year. I had a "similar" issue with a friends Remington Sporting 12 earlier this year. It was virtually new and I put some light loads in the gun. Wouldn't cycle at all. My dad was hunting with me and gave me some of his heavier loads. Worked like a charm. He was shooting an O/U so the low brass was ok for him. I got more birds though!
Old May 23, 2010, 08:05 PM   #30
kx592

So it didnt cycle 3.5" correctly either?
Old May 23, 2010, 08:51 PM   #31
sks

kx: Not 100% which was surprising and somewhat painful. After pumping a bunch of the 3" through and still not getting reliable functionality I decided that it needed to go back to the shop.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:14 PM   #32
zip22

are you talking about the stoeger m2000 with 3.5"? I thought it only went up to 3"
Old May 24, 2010, 04:26 PM   #33
BigJimP

Its not like your gun issues are keeping me up at nite ... but its been over 6 weeks man ...what the heck are they doing .....?? You obviously have more patience than I do ...but in the last 6 weeks ...:

a. I've had my fancy Italian Espresso machine in the shop (my local shop got parts ) and its back in service in less than 10 days ..(and that 10 days almost killed me ..). I almost bought a back-up machine ...to keep myself caffein-inated...!

b. I took a stupid spill and broke an Italian shifter on my 6 year old US made road bicycle....(the 30 speed design is now obsolete/ and parts are not available ??!) ....but I got my bike back last weekend ...and only had to wait 3 weeks for the new style carbon fibre shifter and brake mechanisms to come in and be installed. Parts came from the us distributor (not direct from Italy)...but my word ...??

c. I even picked up a couple of springs for my Benelli semi-auto from Brownells in the last couple of weeks ...just in case I need to take the trigger mechanism apart again ..and something flys off into "spring heaven" behind or under my table-saw ..where they all hide !!

what the heck is going on ??? .......there is Italian stuff all over being fixed ...but not your gun ??
Old May 24, 2010, 05:45 PM   #34
darkgael

3.5"???

I've been waiting for a response to this:
SKS posted:
Quote:
I have shot over 200 rounds of 3" and 3.5" heavy loads through it
Zip22 noted:
Quote:
are you talking about the stoeger m2000 with 3.5"? I thought it only went up to 3"
From the Stoeger website:
Quote:
The Stoeger Model 2000 fires everything from 1-1/8 ounce field and target loads to the heaviest 3” waterfowl loads without adjustments.
Not chambered for 3.5" shells. Mine sure isn't.

So...what exactly was getting shot in the gun? I understood at first that it just wasn't working properly from the get-go. Was that the case?
Pete
Old May 24, 2010, 06:35 PM   #35
BigJimP

He probably just mis-spoke / confusing the size of the shells and dram equivalent ...

I think all the Stoeger M 2000's are 3" chambers only ......
Old May 24, 2010, 09:56 PM   #36
darkgael

ah.

Quote:
He probably just mis-spoke / confusing the size of the shells and dram equivalent
Makes sense.

Pete
Old May 24, 2010, 10:01 PM   #37
oneounceload

OR, he dropped an unfired 3-1/2 in and it somewhat fit in that 3" chamber........
Old May 25, 2010, 08:54 AM   #38
BigJimP

I hope not OneOunce .....

but I've got my Italian Rain Gun ready to go today .... the old Benelli Super Sport is ready for another rainy Tue day of Skeet ( its only a 70% chance of rain / and a little thunder and lightning )...so its a pretty normal Tue ...
Old May 25, 2010, 09:09 AM   #39
oneounceload

I stopped shooting in the rain - by the time it starts raining here, most clubs are closed for the day - if it is raining early in the day, they don't even open.

Back on topic -

Since it is an inertia gun - something bent inside?maybe a burr somewhere?

Something just doesn't sound right
Old May 25, 2010, 10:07 AM   #40
BigJimP

I don't know either - but I've seen several of the Stoegers that seem to have a lot of cycling problems - ( maybe lubrication, maybe the velocity of the shell operating the bolt, maybe a burr on something ....) its really hard to tell unless you could touch the gun and test it ....

I know in one post, he said his wife has been ill ... so hopefully she is feeling better and he's got a good gunsmith looking at it.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:06 AM   #41
zippy13

oneounceload,
I think our friend, BigJimP, shoots in the rain unless there are actual lightning strikes at his gun club. IIRC, close-in thunder claps can confuse some sono-pull systems.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:44 AM   #42
oneounceload

Zippy, my section of FL is the single largest zone in the country for lightning. Amazing how many will still be outside raising their lightning rod upwards for a target when storms are nearby. (Had about 18,000 strikes in an hour or so period not long ago in central FL )

Hopefully, as you mention, it is just something small preventing it from fully functioning - inertia guns are a very simple basic blow-back type of design, not a lot that could go wrong
Old May 27, 2010, 05:13 PM   #43
sks

Got it

Well I finally got the call today that the gun was ready. Whew! I was going to try it out today but my daughter's school has their awards ceremony tonight so that won't be possible. Maybe tomorrow or next week.

The word from the shop is that there was no mechanical problem with the gun. They did find some aluminum shavings around the firing pin but he doesn't think that was the issue. He did say that it would not cycle the aluminum shells but did ok with the brass ones, although he did have some malfunctions. If the only thing it will handle is hi power brass shells that is ok but I'll probably sell it down the road or trade it. I don't want a gun that is so limited.

After examining the shells I was shooting, some of it was aluminum; Winchester and Federal skeet and target loads mostly. However, when I realized that I needed to run some heavy loads through it I bought 100 Winchester 3" BB that didn't cycle 100%. Those were stout! Some of the older stuff I was shooting was high brass (see previous picture above) that didn't cycle 100% either.

I'll try it again and if it isn't working then we'll send it back to Stoeger.

I did mis speak about the 3.5" shells. I put the 3.5 through the Super Nova not the M2000. Sorry about that. At least it generated some good discussion.

What I did see on my last range trip was a friend whose SIG 229 wouldn't cycle fully. He is somewhat new to guns so he asked me to take a look. I thought he might have been limp wristing the gun so I shot it. Same thing happened. I dropped the magazine and lo and behold the thing was full of .380 and not 9mm! Wow! After putting the correct ammo in the gun was flawless.

I'll keep all posted.
Old May 27, 2010, 05:17 PM   #44
sks

BigJim, my gun is Turkish that's why. It hasn't gone to Stoeger yet and I hope it doesn't have to. If so, let's hope it is a much faster turnaround.

In all honesty the time is not that important to me. We travel a lot and there will be weeks that I'm "out of pocket" so I can wait. Now if it was hunting season...

I understand the coffee part. Have two in the house and one in my office.
Old May 27, 2010, 06:15 PM   #45
BigJimP

I understand .....

I don't think your gun issues have anything to do with high or low brass ...but it might have a lot to do with the aluminum bases. Aluminum might be expanding too much / and sticking when the gun cycles ...and I wonder if that is why he found the aluminum shavings inside the bolt as well ...

I don't think you need to stick to high brass ....

Its all about the velocity of the shell on these inertia guns ... and a shell a little over 3 DR EQ ( or around 1225 fps ) ought to cycle them just fine ( or at least it does on my Benelli Super Sports ) - both my 12 and my 20ga...
and I don't shoot any high brass shells in them ...

stay well .....
Old May 28, 2010, 12:00 AM   #46
sks

BigJim: looks like I will get to take it to the range tomorrow afternoon. I'll get a mix of shells but ALL brass and see what happens. That would be an easy fix.
Old May 28, 2010, 02:43 PM   #47
BigJimP

let us know please .....
Old May 30, 2010, 02:48 PM   #48
sks

Continuing Disappointment

Took the M2000 out today and am still having the same issues. The following ammunition was used:

1. Winchester Super X High Brass Game loads
2-3/4", 3-3/4 Dr. Eq., 1-1/4 oz, 7-1/2 shot

2. Winchester Super Sport Sporting Clays
2-3/4", 1300 fps, 1-1/8 oz, 7-1/2 shot

3. Winchester Low Recoil/Low Noise Target Load (I didn't expect this one to cycle but tried anyway).
2-3/4", Min Dr. Eq., 26 gram, 8 shot

4. Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays
2-3/4", 1300 fps, 1-1/8 oz, 7-1/2 shot

All of this ammo has a brass base. No aluminum rounds were used.

Some of the rounds would eject the spent cartridge but not load a new one. On others a new round was chambered but it is as though the bolt doesn't go all the way forward. Pull the trigger and nothing happened. Have to eject the live round and then chamber a new one. The new one always worked fine.

While the low recoil / low noise were obviously the worst for cycling, none of the different ammo types went three rounds without a malfunction.

So the gun will go back to the shop on Tuesday and probably be sent to Stoeger for repairs.

Last edited by sks; May 30, 2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 04:53 PM   #49
kx592

Wow man sorry to hear that. Thanks for keeping us updated. be sure to post back what stoeger has to say.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:05 PM   #50
sks

Will do KX