The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2009, 08:35 PM   #1
pmh6310

870 Express trigger group jammed???

Hello all,

So I have had an 870 Express for several years. Its always worked fine and I've always cleaned it after using it. However I didn't use it for a couple of years and pulled it out today and it had some rust spots on it (I had it in a case in the garage which i now hear is a bad place to store it). I cleaned the rust off and oiled the gun but I can't get it to dry fire. Shouldn't I be able to do this?

I took the trigger group out and it looks like maybe the Hammer Plunger is stuck down and thus not putting any pressure on the hammer. It looks like the top of the Hammer plunger has a bit of rust on it.

I'm by no means a gunsmith, but after looking at it seems to me that maybe this spring loaded plunger is stuck down and thus putting no pressure on the hammer when the trigger is pulled. Does this make any sense? Does anyone one have any suggestions for addressing this problem?

Thanks for any advice!
Old January 15, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

pmh6310

The hammer plunger and spring are very difficult to remove from the 870 trigger assembly. Basically you need to gut the trigger group like a fish to remove these parts. Reassembly of the trigger group is difficult without the proper tools, IT CAN be done, but that is what GUN DOCTORS are for.

If I were you I would hose the entire group down with ATF or whatever lube you like, let it stand for a day or two and then take it to your nearest gun doctor for a "in-office procedure" please take the whole gun in and have him check out the shell stops and ejector to make sure that the are good to go. Express 870's require a bit more attention than blued 870's and should be wiped down with rust-proof on a regular basis.

Many folks have found fault with my statements about added maintenance for this flavor of 870, vrs. the wingmaster. Unfortunately, for you, the lesson was learned the hard way.

Firearms in general need to be stored in a dry place that does not have frequent or sever temp functions. I would make a habit of NOT storing my guns in the garage, and learn about rust proofing. Here is a very good article on Lube and rust proofing that might help. http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Sorry your baby got hurt, all is not lost it is fixable.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Tags
870 , problem , trigger