The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 14, 2004, 01:50 PM   #1
Barry in IN

Want training? Don't put it off! Get some ASAP!

I just took my first defensive pistol class this weekend.
I first looked into training by writing Gunsite for info in 1981.
Yes, it took me 23 years to get a two-day class.

If you want it, get it! Get it while you can. Don't wait for more of life's "things" to get in the way.

Every time I put it off, another issue would come along, making it harder to get. The more I needed it, the harder it was to get.
Some examples:

*I got job that paid decent. Great, I can afford to get some training now. Also, it was an airline job, so I had flight benefits. I can afford it, and I can go wherever I want. Problem solved!
Nope. Not enough time off. No seniority to take vacation when I needed it to go.
*In 1990, the back injuries began. Great. Starting to get some vacation time that would allow a trip to a training center, but now I'm nursing a sore back.

-As each year went by, the back injuries became more frequent, and more severe.
This did two things: It made my need for training greater, as it was harder for me to run OR fight; and it made it harder for me to go anywhere.

*1994. For the first time in 11 years of having a carry permit, I had to draw my gun. Everything turned out OK. Nobody got shot.
Although I still had not received any formal training, I had read a stack of books as high as my head. They were naturally of some help, but I still made a LOT of mistakes. I made a list of those mistakes later, and had 10 or 11 items.
No doubt about it- I'll be getting training now, and I won't be stopped.
Then my back got worse, much worse. It went from an annoyance that I had to be careful with, to a full-fledged "condition" that had a direct effect on everything I did (or couldn't do).
Training was delayed again. More books.

*Then came marriage, and a couple of years later, children. As I said earlier- The more reasons I had for getting training, the harder it was to get.
Now I had a wife, and especially, a little girl to watch out for in a world full of evil people. It was different from when it was just me, and I went around untrained. I wanted trained for their sake.
I was working less and staying home more as my back declined, so I dedicated more and more time to "being Dad". More books.
* 2001- Went on medical leave from work. Became full-fledged Stay-At-Home Dad. More responsibilities. Less income. Less physically capable of fending off attack. Due to my bent up posture, and cane, I looked like a "target". Less opportunities for training.
*2003- Second child born. More to look after. Promising item-Got back surgery.

So here we are. The surgery helped a lot. This summer, I realized that I might be able to get to, and make it through, a class.
I found out the neighboring county's Sheriff's Dept offered training to civilians. I looked into it, and found that the dept's Rangemaster was an adjunct instructor with Gunsite and with the Yavapai Firearms Academy operated by Louis Awerbuck. I signed up as quick as I could.

Over the years, I had shot a variety of competition disciplines as time and health allowed, including IPSC, IDPA, and Bowling pins. Although a good start, none really gave me what I was after. I continued to read everything I could get my hands on.
When practicing shooting pistols defensively, I knew what I was doing wrong for years, but didn't know how to correct it. Within 15 minutes of loading our guns, and after shooting five rounds, Captain Campbell and Lt. Wheat had my errors diagnosed, and we were on the way to getting me "fixed".

I could've spent a fortune in ammo and read another house full of books (already had), and still not got what I got in 15 minutes of real training.

Sorry for the rambling.
My point is- Don't let this happen to you.
If you don't have time for training, make time. If you think you can't find the time now, something will happen to make it even harder.
Forget that new gun, or case of ammo you "might" need, and spend the money on training. It's a better buy.
Old September 24, 2004, 11:03 AM   #2
Quartus

Amen. As has been said, taking one class doesn't make you an expert, but it WILL open up a whole new world to you.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 24, 2004, 06:14 PM   #3
Barry in IN

Just trying to make amends for becoming the kind of person I always complained about- Those that carry without seeking out training.

Now that I can actually sit in a car (or plane) for more than 15 minutes at a time, thanks to the back surgeries- I'm planning more classes for my future. I may be so crippled up afterwards that I can hardly walk for two weeks (like now), but it beats the possible alternatives.
I'm hoping to go to a Louis Awerbuck pistol class next year, and perhaps one of the following- an offsite Gunsite pistol class, Jeff Gonzales Combative Pistol, or a Pat Rogers carbine class.

Good thing I can't work, so I have the time, huh? Of course there's that lack of money thing......
Old September 24, 2004, 06:36 PM   #4
Quartus

Keep an eye on John Farnam's schedule. He moves around, so he just might be close enough sometime when you are ready.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 25, 2004, 09:18 AM   #5
Route 66

Barry in IN

Barry in IN - We must have been in the same class and I believe I remember you (I was a S&W Model 39, 9mm and a couple of spots to your left). Anyway I was very impressed by the training and have already talked with several people about it including my brother-in-law who does carry but has not had training.

I got my CCW a couple of years ago but I don't carry. With where I live and the job I have it doesn't make sense to me at this point. And the real reason I got the CCW was to facilitate transactions at gun shows although that doesn't help as much now as it used to.

Although I don't carry I feel much more comfortable about what I should do if ever there was that need. But more importantly it has made me realize that I need to practice those techniques (controlled pair, hammer, boarding house rules, Mozambique, etc.) on a regular basis and I know I will. So my routine now is buy ammo, shoot ammo, look for more classes and have some fun.
Old September 26, 2004, 01:26 PM   #6
Barry in IN

Route 66-
Yep, that was the class, and that was me. I was the half-crippled guy shooting a Kimber 1911. I stayed out behind the line between relays rather than hobble back and forth to the range shed.
Actually, that worked out well, as I could watch the other relay and pick up little tips here and there. It's harder to see that from within your own relay.

I remember you. The way I was standing on the line, I really couldn't tell much that was going on to my left, though. Didn't you have a gun problem of some sort? Hammer, or DA mechanism, or something like that? Like I said, I couldn't tell what went on that direction very well. I didn't get to "mingle" much, as I was sitting out on the range.

I liked the training, also. I was unaware of it even existing there until earlier this summer. I had originally tried to go to one of Louis Awerbuck's classes that Capt Campbell hosts, but broke my foot, and couldn't go. I emailed asking if there might be anything next year, and he sent info on this class, and some others. I didn't know Capt Campbell taught any courses at that point.
Once I learned that, I started looking, and found I had read a couple of articles by him, and an article on an advanced Gunsite class in which he was an instructor. I had read these before, but had no idea that this was the same guy! Looking further, I found he has a well-deserved reputation as an excellent instructor. Dummy me, I've been trying to get to a training class for years, and some of the best instructors in the business are at, or come to, the next county's department.
Oh well, even as close as it is, until this summer, I couldn't have done it due to health reasons.

For me, the most impressive part of the class was Capt Campbell's diagnosis and correction of shooting errors when we started range work. I had been doing something wrong for years, and knew it, but couldn't find the source to correct it. In five shots and a couple of minutes, he had it nailed.
Now, if I can just do it right all the time now....
The reason I had tried to take one of Louis Awerbuck's classes earlier this summer is because I had heard how good he was at diagnosing/correcting errors.

I carry pretty much all the time. When pants go on, so does a gun (actually, two- guns, not pants). I shot the class with the gun I usually carry, in the holster I usually use (Sparks Summer Special), and from under the same concealing clothing I wear. It was a good chance to find any flaws in the "system".

I walked in on a break-in several years ago, when I lived in an apartment. I was lucky enough to have a gun on at the time, or I probably would've caught the crowbar they used in the break in, to my head. I'm not convinced that it didn't almost happen anyway. That incident made me decide to step up my efforts to get training; and made me realize that you never know when you might have need for a gun. But I went through a series of back injuries soon after that (again), so the training went on hold.

I do plan on going back for more. I'll probably try to take the Louis Awerbuck handgun class next. I would like to take Capt Campbell's Gunsite 150 class like the one going on this weekend also.
For that matter, the course we took would be a good annual tune-up. The price is right!
I wonder if he could be talked into a two-day "refresher" with a review, plus some movement and/or low-light training in it also.
Old September 27, 2004, 07:11 PM   #7
Route 66

Yes I did have a problem with my S&W on the second day. It's a Model 39-2 that is DA/SA and is at least 27 years old and I've owned it for about 25 years. Anyway instead of going to full cock after cycling it would only go to half cock. I could still fire it but as DA only. So Captain Campbell agreed it was a problem and a safety problem at that (could have gone to full auto!). Unfortunately I did not bring a backup with me so he had me use his Glock 9mm that actually shot quite well.

As I said before I don't carry now and don't see that in the foreseeable future but what I had hoped to get out of it more than anything was learning the right techique to simply shoot. I'd heard of isosceles and Weaver and so on I didn't really know what I was doing. At least I know much more and with lots of practice I hope to get much better.

I happened to stumble onto the class as well. The local paper ran an ad last spring about it but at that time it was filled up. Then the paper ran another ad a week before this class in September and so I signed up.

I think it's a great idea about a refresher course. I'm sure each time you go you can pick up something else. When you get a bunch of info thrown at you you're bound to forget some of it (especially at my advanced age). :-)
Old September 28, 2004, 09:52 AM   #8
VaughnT

If I might chime in, I have to agree with the idea of getting the training sooner rather than later.

For me, training was an eye-opener. I didn't realize just how much there was to learn, and how little I knew at the time. Of course, I'm still learning now that the base knowledge is there.

Also, I found that I rather enjoyed being around people who were interested in bettering themselves in this combat art. Like tae kwon do or any other fighting skill, shooting is something that takes a certain mindset, one that doesn't really exist on the IDPA field or square range.

And most importantly, the training time reinforces the belief that what you are doing, what you are thinking, is right. It can be somewhat difficult to keep preparing for a bad thing when the family and friends and coworkers are poking fun at you for being a rambo or being paranoid and the like. They don't mean any harm; it's just their way of making themselves feel better because they are not preparing for when something wicked their way comes.

Get the training. Do it now. You won't be sorry.
Old September 28, 2004, 10:04 AM   #9
KSFreeman

One time, at gun camp . . .

Barry and Route, see you in Lebanon. "Wreathed in smoke in Lebanon . . ."
Old September 28, 2004, 07:15 PM   #10
Route 66

KSFreeman - yes I do hope to make it back to Lebanon for another training class but I'm not sure what with. I shipped my S&W Model 39 back to S&W today to correct the hiccup but maybe something else will come along to take its place. I'm thinking a Kimber Tactical in 4".

Were you in the class too?
Old September 29, 2004, 01:50 PM   #11
Barry in IN

Hi, KSFreeman.
I think I've read a summary or two you've posted here and there, on past training at BCSD you've attended.
It helped me decide where to go this summer, as I knew I was only going to get to one place this year.
Thanks.