The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 18, 2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Jgrove

Turk Mauser sporter

Hi guys, new to site, sorry if this doesn’t belong here. But, here goes my question, I have a 1938 Turk Mauser I am sporterizing to a 6.5x55 Swede. I already have a m94 takeoff barrel with a good boar I am using. My question is registering bolts, I was going to have a new one welded on and buy a three position Safety, but I noticed Sarco has Dumoulin commercial bolts for $160 with Safety and bolt done. Would anyone hear know if that commercial bolt would fit the 1938 Turk action. It is a K.Kale action, my Gew98 bolt fits in it also. Any info would be greatly appreciated. This gun is going to be a short stalking gun for in woods. Thank you for any replies.
Old November 18, 2017, 09:35 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

It should fit, but the real issue is headspacing.

As for the safety, there are various safeties than can be used to replace the factory safety. Right now at TSJC's conversion class (sporterizing action) they modify the existing safety to a swing type safety.
Old November 19, 2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Mobuck

First question: Are the barrel shanks(threaded portion of the barrel) the same length on the M-94 and the Turk 38 (large ring /small thread) actions? IIRC I encountered some issues with this interface on some actions I was "cobbling together" 10-12 years ago.
Second question: Have you considered a Bold or Timney trigger with the side safety? I like the "looks" of the side swing safety but the cost is more than going to a trigger with it's own safety. Simply "converting" the flip over safety with one of the levers often ends with a hard to access safety(trust me on this, I've missed many shot opportunities due to not being able to release that type safety wearing gloves).
Old November 19, 2017, 09:49 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Every rifle will have a different length for the barrel shank. You have to measure from the face of the receiver to the C ring. We also added .002 for crush depth. It's better to buy an overlength barrel shank and face it down to length such that it will fit the receiver.

Tags
mauser sporter , turk mauser