The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 5, 2017, 06:05 PM   #1
Texas Reb

Lee Loader

You know, I've been looking for one of these for my Brother. He wants to load a few black powder shells for his single shot 12 and 28 gauges, but at this price, he could get a used Mec. Unless, I can snag one cheaper, it's the nail and dowel method for him.

I was up at the thrift shop the other day and spotted a 12 gauge roll crimper mixed in with the kitchen dishes and silverware. I asked the lady how much and she told me 10 bucks. I paid her and ran with it to the car. My brother moon-walked across the front yard and is still doing back flips.

Anyways back on subject. These antique reloading tools and lee loaders have gone crazy in price. I saw a set of wooden tools on eBay the other day and all I could do was laugh. I don't remember the price, but it was around 100 dollars or more.

This 28g lee loader only has one bidder and it's 65 plus shipping. I'm not paying it, but if I had several, I'd sure sell a couple at that price.

https://www.ebay.com/i/253234422983

Of course this powder scoop must be solid gold

https://www.ebay.com/i/401436462384

I just thought you guys would enjoy some humor. I don't get to post much, but I enjoy everyone on the forum.
Old November 5, 2017, 06:09 PM   #2
Texas Reb

Here's that set of wooden tools, I mentioned above. They are must have been owned by royalty back in the day. Laughing!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/i/272248664949
Old November 6, 2017, 06:37 AM   #3
darkgael

Tool $

Very true about prices. It is especially true for the smaller gauge sets...28 ga. and .410 bore.
Old November 6, 2017, 07:36 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

For some unknown reason those whack a mole loaders have become a collectors item.

If you can locate a MEC that's the way to go.

You have the crimper, if you know someone with a lathe maybe they can turn the rest of the tools out of maple.
Old November 6, 2017, 01:27 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Buying or selling on E-Bay funds the people who want to take your firearms away from you.
Why is your brother not buying his own kit? Just nosy.
You can buy a Lee Load-All with FREE shipping on Amazon for $60.12 and not give the Brady Bunch any money.
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Sho.../dp/B000NTKD28
Mind you, the regular price at Cabela's is $59.99.
28 gauge stuff is going to cost as it's unusual. Lee doesn't make 'em any more.
Old November 6, 2017, 02:47 PM   #6
Texas Reb

My post was meant as humor at the high prices. I guess humor didn't translate well. As for eBay, I'll have to verify what you said as I don't know if they are anti-gun or not. As for why I'm buying for my brother, I was just going to surprise him. We're real close and do stuff like that for one another.
Old November 6, 2017, 06:12 PM   #7
deerslayer303

The Lee Load All II is a dandy little shot shell press. I like it. Although I don't think you can roll crimp with it. If you can I don't know how. LOL
Old November 6, 2017, 11:29 PM   #8
TruthTellers

I wish Lee would bring the Classic Loader back for the 12 gauge and offer it in various lengths. I would really like to load my own 1-3/4" minishells.

But everything is going towards presses these days. The old hand tools are just that: old.
Old November 7, 2017, 09:59 AM   #9
44 Dave

Have done a few rolled crimps, using my Lee to size, prime, powder, wad ,and shot. then add a card wad and go to my hand crank roll crimper.
Old November 8, 2017, 12:12 AM   #10
bedbugbilly

The price of the Lee loaders is almost to the point where i would think Lee would consider making them again - but doubt that's going to happen.

A setof loading tools isn't that hard to make. Dowels sized to the gauge can be converted in to de-primers. A base made to hold the shell with a plug to prime. Some circle fly wads, BP and shot and you're in business.

I'm hoping to get a set made this winter for 20 gauge. I bought a bunch of plastic hulls for 1 time reloading. Will trim to length for the chamber and load just like you would a brass shell. No crimp - just an over the shot card and a dab of hot glue to hold in place or some waterfalls and good to go. Loading BP shot shells doesn't really demand a bunco of fancy tools.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 8, 2017, 10:07 AM   #11
Texas Reb

Yes BBB, He's been out in the wood shop making his tools. He found my stash of exotic hardwoods I've been saving for the last 15 years! We had a heart to heart and he decided to use pine

I didn't want to sound grumpy, so I told him if he still wanted to make some fancy tools come spring, I would give him his choice. I've got Blood wood, Bubinga, Purple Heart, Padauk, Canary, Texas Ebony and ain't no telling what else. I've got a chunk of walnut that's over 40 years old. I bought it to make a mantle clock, but never did.

Last edited by Texas Reb; November 8, 2017 at 10:23 AM.