The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
GP100man

Settin up for 20 gage ???

Since my shoulder reconstruction surgery 12s really don`t need to be hittin the shoulder so I traded my cuz for a O/U 20 , sweet handlin Russian import of sorts & I wanna shoot it some !!!

I don`t need a bunch of shells but thought about the Lee Load All II & some components to put some together , general small game/clay shooting is `bout all I need , not much buckshot or slugs .

I dripped off `bout 300#worth of 7-81/2 shot on a buddys dripper , I`m not gonna size it , but use it as is in 1oz. wads .

I have a 100 loaded big store winchester shells & was lookin at the waa20 7/8-11/4 wad with a Remington (available primers)209 & 17gr. of 800x

How`s this sound ,`bout rite , crazy , wrong wads , any input is welcomed!

It`s been a while for any shotshell loading for me so be easy
Old January 8, 2011, 09:43 PM   #2
oneounceload

Personally, as someone who had a Load-All II decades ago (B.I. - before internet), you would be much better served by finding a used MEC Jr. for about 50-75 bucks.......worlds away a better machine

follow published recipes regarding wads and hulls and primers and powder
Old January 8, 2011, 10:23 PM   #3
GP100man

Yeah I researched the loads & found I have formed instead of paper bottom wadded hulls .

does the waa20 wad cover 7/8 thru 11/4 oz loads & does it compress , sorta like a fit all wad ???

Think I`ll look around a bit for a mec machine , once I got it set up I could load a bucket full in short order on 12s !!
Old January 8, 2011, 10:53 PM   #4
oneounceload

Hodgdon and Alliant both have recipes -you REALLY need to follow them - there is no "do it all load"
Old January 8, 2011, 11:59 PM   #5
zippy13

All other things being equal, you may notice some reduced recoil if you select a 20-ga shot shell recipe that uses a slower burning powder. Most re-loaders select the faster powders because they can use less of it (than with a slower powder) so their loads are a little bit cheaper.

Quote:
Hodgdon and Alliant both have recipes - you REALLY need to follow them - there is no "do it all load"
+1, Amen!
Old January 9, 2011, 12:13 PM   #6
BigJimP

No, wads don't compress...you need to use them for the right shot load - that they were designed for.

Please don't be a "chemist" in reloading / find and use the publlished recipes - and I'd recommend you use the recipes developed by the powder mfg's.

In shotshells - not all primers are created equal either / even if they are marked 209 primers - Chedite, Winchester, Remington are all different - and will often, require different recipes. You can't just mix primers in shotshells - like we do in metallic - where small pistol primers are small pistol primers from CCI, Win, Rem, etc and all use the same recipe.

Don't mix your hulls either - get setup on one brand of hull - and stay with them / or your crimps will not be consistent. There are even variations within one brand of hull - especially hulls like Winchester - where they make a number of different hulls.

I have a rebuilt shoulder / and repaired bicep as well ...so I understand wanting to shoot lighter loads. But just because its a 20ga / doesn't mean it will give you less recoil. 7/8 oz of shot at 1200 fps - if the guns weigh the same - 12ga and 20ga - will be exactly the same recoil. If the 12ga is 1lb heavier than the 20ga - then the 12ga will be about 20% less recoil.

Since my shoulder and bicep surgery - the weight of the gun is a bigger problem than the recoil - where I don't have the strength in that arm to mount and swing a 10lb gun all day long ...and want something a little lighter - so I do shoot more 20ga and 28ga now / in guns between 7 1/2 and 8 lbs ...

Last edited by BigJimP; January 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old January 9, 2011, 01:52 PM   #7
GP100man

Here`s a link to the wad I asked `bout , says it`s for 7/8-11/4 oz ????

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=870029

Yeah I remember bout the primers 209 refers to the size not power .

I got the recipe from Hodgdons site .

I do understand the differences in hulls better now , formed plastic & the old cardboard type .

It`ll take a bit but i`ll catch up before loading !!

The Firearm is a Baikal O/U , It impressed me with the features it has & feels solid , little heavy in the rt. hand .
Old January 9, 2011, 02:22 PM   #8
BigJimP

Baikals were Russian made ....and a lot of the ones I saw at my local club seemed to have some firing pin, firing pin spring issues .....

I'd suggest you at least take the butt stock off - and inspect, clean and lube the firing pins and springs / make sure there is no rust in there. You don't need much lube in there / but a little light spray oil works well on the inner workings on an O/U - Rig Oil, Rem Oil or whatever ....

The biggest issue on the Baikal - is I don't know where you'd get any parts if you have a problem with them ... / but heavier is your friend when it comes to reducing recoil ...so I hope it works out for you.
Old January 9, 2011, 08:40 PM   #9
GP100man

A Big Thanks !!!

Thanks BigJimP !!!

I pulled the wood off & found very little rust , but everything was completely dry !!!

I took my horse hair brush & put a bit of 3-in1 oil on the lock works & worked in it , it`s very smooth now & a peace of mind that there`s a level of protection now !
Old January 9, 2011, 08:43 PM   #10
DiscoRacing

Least your not looking for .410 guage..

... ive been looking for one... to reload some for our lil girl... she is using a .410 to squirrel hunt...and I can only find mec jr for new is 180 bucks...

... they dont make a load all in .410 guage..

.. or if they did... they dont now
Old January 9, 2011, 08:53 PM   #11
GP100man

DR

I take 444 Marlin & load some lite shells for my girls !

I have to take .015 off the head of the case to get the action of the little Rossi to close , but large pistol primer works fine !

Just use cards & glue to seal em up !!been thinkin of gettin some

After I get em sized my oldest (12yrs.) loves to load em , I got the Lee dippers for the powder & shot , all I have to do is watch !!!

I can`t remember the 1s we use but if ya need the load let me know

Recoil is half of the 2 1/2 shells !!

She`s pestering me aweful to try em on tree rats !!

Hmm gotta find my gravy recipee
Old January 10, 2011, 02:21 PM   #12
BigJimP

GP - glad to hear you checked the workings on that gun ...and you have them in good shape now. I think its important to do that - on any O/U at least twice a year ....or anytime you've been out shooting in heavy weather...

DiscoRacing....you might ask around at your local Skeet range ...and find out who's got a .410 loader all set up..... if it didn't mess up their settings, they might let you spend a couple of hours and run 20 or 30 boxes of shells thru their press - to help you out. They wouldn't want the liability ...so you would have to operate the press ....and use their recipe so you didn't inconvenience their setups ...but there are a lot of presses around ...that get very little time in actual use ...( but they're probably set up for 2 1/2" hulls too and 1/2oz of shot ) ....and mine as an example is set for Remington STS hulls, 2 1/2 " ....changing a powder bushing is no big deal / and you could load whatever size shot you want ... so I'd let someone make those changes - but I wouldn't let them fuss with the crimp setups ...because it would take me many hours to get it dialed back in again ...especially on the .410 that tends to be a little finnicky ....

but ask around - you might find someone that will help you out - especially since its for a kid ....