The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which auto should I get?
Benelli Super Black Eagle II 13 19.70%
Benelli M2 15 22.73%
Remington Versamax 3 4.55%
Remington 1187 10 15.15%
Winchester Super X3 11 16.67%
Other: Please Explain 14 21.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 18, 2010, 10:36 PM   #51
pabuckslayer08

I said other, Benelli Vinchi is my vote. Simpleist gun being made today, they seem like they wouldnt be but they break down and everything is just comforting knowing how well its made
Old December 31, 2010, 05:36 PM   #52
BILLDAVE

I like SX3, but the Browning was not out at the time.

I bought a SX3 this past January for Snow Goose hunting in the southern tip of Illinois. It ia an absolute joy to shoot and handels very well. Being a new gun that excepts 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 my friend and I decided to have a experiment. We took three rounds 2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2 and had the other guy put them in random and then the other guy let loose. I will admit the only way you knew the difference was by the blast. I did not feel any big difference in kick.

As far as 10 gages go, I hunted on Snicarte Island near Bath, Illinois with an old school waterfowler. He carried a 10 made by Remington. After a while he relized I was very curious and asked if I wanted to shoot it. I took him up on it. Boom!!!! It kicked pretty damn good. I hate when guys say they shot it and would never shoot it again. But what I can say it is not something you would want to lug around all day and fire repeatedly. Going through a box of shell would not be fun after about three shots.

And I believe the Browning and the SX3 are made at the same FN factory.
You will not be disapointed with the SX3, but if you want the deer barrel better take out a second morgage. The best price I could find was $655+Taxes and shipping!
Good Luck,
BILLDAVE