The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 12, 2018, 07:57 PM   #1
chrisp51

Ruger PC carbine accuracy

Got the pc carbine out today with a new 3 power Nikon scope. Sighted it at 25 yards and then moved out to 50. Best I could do at 50 yards was about 6 inches! The eyes are not good enough to use the iron sights so I am stuck with the scope. The scope appears good and tight so I am at a loss on the cause of the accuracy issue. I see that most everyone else with this rifle it getting a couple of inches at 50 yards. Since it is a take down I did make sure the barrel reciever lockup was tight. I have a Beretta CX4 in 9mm and get 2 inch groups all day. Any ideas?
Old April 12, 2018, 08:11 PM   #2
Mobuck

Not surprising. Any time you have an optic attached to the receiver and the barrel flopping around on a "take-down" connection, accuracy will suffer.
FWIW
My old PC9 will produce 4-5" groups @ 100 yards with an AimPoint.
Old April 12, 2018, 10:36 PM   #3
chrisp51

I have a PC 4 that gets about 4 inches at 100 yards. One reason I bought the PCC was because I always wanted a PC9.
Old April 13, 2018, 12:20 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

The accuracy issue is most likely the ammo. If you're not reloading, you have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your particular rifle shoots best. The price of said ammo means nothing either.
However, Ruger semi-auto's aren't exactly known for great accuracy in the first place. The iron sights aren't great anyway. And a scope does not fix poor accuracy.
Old April 13, 2018, 07:52 PM   #5
chrisp51

Took the Ruger PCC out again today and got some interesting results. First I tightened the barrel nut as tight as I could it and still able to install the barrel in the receiver. I put a higher powered scope on the carbine and then tried about 5 different brands of 9mm ammo. The carbine really likes the Independence 115 grain hp made in Israel. I was able to get the group size down to about 1 inch at 50 yards! I removed the barrel and reinstalled it and then shot the Isreali hp again. The first two rounds were one ragged hole about 1.5 inches to the right of the bull. The next 3 rounds were in the bull. Overall I am pleased with the new results. It was a learning experience.
Old April 16, 2018, 08:24 AM   #6
zeke

The instructions indicate to release the bolt several times after reattaching the barrel to seat it in. Or words to that effect. Have tried mine at 25 yards with the peep sites, and it is very accurate. Will try it at 50-100 yards once the rifle range melts off.
Old April 16, 2018, 09:46 AM   #7
ndking1126

Crisp, glad you had better results. Definitely don't underestimate the idea of having to find ammo your specific weapon likes. I have Sig 9mm Pistol that shoots Winchester White Box like crap. I didn't know that was possible, I thought every pistol shoots WWB. It shoots Fiocchi and Blazer fantastically though.
Old April 22, 2018, 04:30 PM   #8
Apple a Day

About 2 inches at 50 yards with irons for me.
I started out with a scope playing around. I think I actually like the irons better
Cheers!
Old April 28, 2018, 08:41 AM   #9
aimtrue

For precision shooting at distances beyond 75 yards I use a Remington 700 with a mounted Leopold scope. For home defense and recreational fun shooting at shorter distances, I have my 9mm Ruger PC Carbine.

I use S&B 124gr FMJ for recreation and Federal 124gr HST for home defense.
Old November 21, 2018, 02:53 PM   #10
Fundy

Bought my PCC a month ago. Due to my aging eyes, shifted from iron sights to red dot, but since a red dot doesn't magnify, still had trouble. I had a scope from another 5.56 rifle and installed it on the PCC, a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24X50. Yeah, it's overkill, but it's what I had.

Was able to see great, finally. Took it to the range for a 50 yard try out, shooting Blazer 115 grain, FMJ rounds. No wind. Mounted on a rifle stand, I was barely able to shoot a 4-5 inch group. Now either the PCC doesn't like Blazer Brass, or the PCC is hopelessly inaccurate (user error taken into account). An earlier attempt at 100 yards was better grouping-wise. Seems that others are having accuracy issues. Thanks for the tips on trying multiple brands. Trued to attach photos of targets but Image Insert trys to take me to an http: link.
Old November 21, 2018, 06:13 PM   #11
1stmar

Mine is about 2.5” at 100. Using a red dot
Old November 22, 2018, 04:59 PM   #12
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy View Post
Bought my PCC a month ago. Due to my aging eyes, shifted from iron sights to red dot, but since a red dot doesn't magnify, still had trouble. I had a scope from another 5.56 rifle and installed it on the PCC, a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24X50. Yeah, it's overkill, but it's what I had.

Was able to see great, finally. Took it to the range for a 50 yard try out, shooting Blazer 115 grain, FMJ rounds. No wind. Mounted on a rifle stand, I was barely able to shoot a 4-5 inch group. Now either the PCC doesn't like Blazer Brass, or the PCC is hopelessly inaccurate (user error taken into account). An earlier attempt at 100 yards was better grouping-wise. Seems that others are having accuracy issues. Thanks for the tips on trying multiple brands. Trued to attach photos of targets but Image Insert trys to take me to an http: link.
Have you tried any 147gr ammo? I've heard good things about it in carbines.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old November 22, 2018, 11:34 PM   #13
Phidelt208

I'm getting 3" -3.5" groups at 100 yards (124 FN @1283 FPS) with my AR-9 and consider that great. If they are getting anything close to that I would say that's a heck of a rifle.
Old November 23, 2018, 04:41 AM   #14
10-96

There's a lot to be said for consistency when reseating barrels. I have a S&W Model 41 that is super picky about how the barrels are swapped between the 5" and 7" barrels. I also have a Ruger 10/22 that appreciates having the screws for the barrel clamp torqued to about the same ft/lb each time.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.