The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 28, 2018, 08:08 PM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

Walmart is moving to 21 according to the TV news.
Old February 28, 2018, 08:15 PM   #27
rickyrick

You can add Walmart to the list that won’t sell to persons under 21.

I think it’s time to stop shipping 18 year olds off to war as well.

Well I’m late on this one.
Old February 28, 2018, 08:37 PM   #28
mete

FedX is NOT joining the anti NRA movement . It's nice to see someone refusing to join the panderers !!
Old February 28, 2018, 08:47 PM   #29
TruthTellers

I've never seen an AR or a magazine that held more than 5 rounds at Dick's before, so this is news to me that they sold them.

The gun section at Dick's has always been there to try and sucker some golfing guy who has a country club membership into buying an over/under for skeet and trap.

Ammo sales at Dick's can be good at times, I grabbed a brick of .22 on Black Friday last year for $25, but that's the only thing at Dick's that's worth anything. Beyond that, Dick's has nothing I'm interested in and now I have less reason to give them money.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:16 PM   #30
rickyrick

Bought a bike there, never thought to look for guns there.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:42 PM   #31
Glenn E. Meyer

They did have some good 9mm sales. However, I hardily ever went there. Got a flyer in the paper and that's how I saw the sales. They were not a destination point for me.

Too much yuppie crap - Golf and workout clothes (which I wouldn't look good in).
Old February 28, 2018, 11:29 PM   #32
Zeroed

So whats the difference in refusing to hire someone old? Case law has many suits on this. Age discrimination is just that. If they refuse to sell to anyone under 21, when the State law is 18, then they should not sell to anyone as a whole, but not singling out a specific age group. just my .02
Old February 28, 2018, 11:41 PM   #33
shootbrownelk

There should also be NO military service required until the age of 21. Also NO voting until age 21. If young people aren't mature enough to buy a gun or have a drink until they're 21, they sure aren't mature enough to serve our country or vote until they reach that magical age of maturity.
Old March 1, 2018, 12:40 AM   #34
LogicMan

I thought Dick's had stopped selling "assault weapons" after Newtown...?
Old March 1, 2018, 01:20 AM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I thought Dick's had stopped selling "assault weapons" after Newtown...?
According to one of the articles I read recently, Dick's stopped selling ARs (assault weapons) after Newtown, at their main retail stores.

Then later ("quietly") brought them back to cash in on increased gun sales during the Obama buying panic increase in gun sales.

As to the 18 year olds limits, and responsibilities you need to look at the history. The 1968 Gun Control Act set the minimum legal age for buying long guns at 18, from FFL dealers. The state passed their own laws, generally using the Federal age standards.

18year olds got the right to vote in 1971. The push for lowering the voting age to 18 was Vietnam (soldiers being sent to war they couldn't vote about), and one political party adopted it as a cause, believing that the 18-20 year olds would vote for their candidates, they got a law passed, but it was struck down as unconstitutional (badly written law) but a Constitutional amendment to replace the struck down law was ratified in 1971.

Many states lowered their legal drinking age to 18 as well, some in a strange fashion (beer legal at 18, hard liquor not legal until 21..) and most, if not all of those states raised their legal drinking age back to 21 after a some years.

It was a political ploy one party hoped would benefit them, but which, ironically did not, at least in the next election cycle.

I don't know if Dick's store policy changes reaches the legal standard of age discrimination, I suspect some folks with legal background will be looking into that. I realize its not the same as a baker refusing service on religious ground, but it seems there is, on the surface, a similar principle involved. Time will tell on that matter...
Old March 1, 2018, 04:24 AM   #36
mag1911

I was at another store close to Dick's on Sunday so went in to see if they had AR magazines. It had been many years since the last time I'd been in there. The last time I remembered the firearms/hunting section seemed fairly large. This time it was down to one small corner.

The counterman told me they only carried 30 round Pmags so I guess that's over. I did check the rifle racks and didn't see any AR style rifles.
Old March 1, 2018, 07:08 AM   #37
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I don't know if Dick's store policy changes reaches the legal standard of age discrimination, I suspect some folks with legal background will be looking into that. I realize its not the same as a baker refusing service on religious ground, but it seems there is, on the surface, a similar principle involved. Time will tell on that matter...
I think Dick's is just trying to ride the wave of political correctness. Once the fallout dies down from a shooting or whatever, they can always add AR-15s, "high capacity" magazines, etc. again with little downside. I don't know how solid a case of discrimination it is but short of something like a confession, I wouldn't waste my time and money in the courts for gun rights.
Old March 1, 2018, 07:48 AM   #38
Lohman446

I'm not 100% certain that age is not a protected class.
Old March 1, 2018, 09:20 AM   #39
rickyrick

No one is going to challenge this. Remember, we are the bad guys here. We are the ones on the side of evil. We stand in the way of progressive values. We are on the wrong side of history. WE are the only ones that care about this. The bakery is also on the wrong side. There are also many stories of the bakery owners not being so innocent.
Old March 1, 2018, 09:55 AM   #40
Glenn E. Meyer

We don't want to discuss the bakery issue. However, don't count on the current courts siding with 18 year olds on this one.
Old March 1, 2018, 10:39 AM   #41
joed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rivers View Post
They have the right to do this, but we have the right to shop elsewhere, free choice ( at least for now).
If you don't like their policy, boycott them. I won't even go in there store anymore ever since Sandy Hook. I want to see them go out of business and I'll write a letter to the CEO saying glad to see them go.

But be prepared for someone else to post a thread about the great deal they got at Dick's then play stupid when reminded of everyone boycotting them. Many people are just not the sharpest pencils in the drawer.
Old March 1, 2018, 10:51 AM   #42
Lohman446

Quote:
But be prepared for someone else to post a thread about the great deal they got at Dick's then play stupid when reminded of everyone boycotting them. Many people are just not the sharpest pencils in the drawer.
Not every gun owner is going to agree that this is reason to boycott Dicks. As I believe in the right of private individuals, and thus private companies, to determine the scope of their business within the confines of the law I don't really have an issue with it. If Dicks does not want to sell AR-15's or sell firearms to individuals under 21 and they are not a legally protected or effective monopoly its not my concern. Could I chose to not do business with them? Sure but I don't not go into Sears just because they stopped selling firearms.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:16 AM   #43
lordmorgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Not every gun owner is going to agree that this is reason to boycott Dicks. As I believe in the right of private individuals, and thus private companies, to determine the scope of their business within the confines of the law I don't really have an issue with it. If Dicks does not want to sell AR-15's or sell firearms to individuals under 21 and they are not a legally protected or effective monopoly its not my concern. Could I chose to not do business with them? Sure but I don't not go into Sears just because they stopped selling firearms.

What they want to sell is their business. Calling for support of a ban on SACF rifles is MY business and unacceptable meddling in my rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old March 1, 2018, 11:39 AM   #44
Fishbed77

I haven't bought anything from Dick's in years (I think the last thing were some cornhole sacks maybe 7 or 8 years ago).

I've NEVER bought any firearms or ammo there - looked once or twice but the prices were laughable.

I could care less what they sell, but their press release to pander to the freedom-stealers out there was pretty gross. So one more reason to never go back.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:47 AM   #45
Lohman446

Quote:
What they want to sell is their business. Calling for support of a ban on SACF rifles is MY business and unacceptable meddling in my rights.
You have the right to not do business with who you please. Not going to fault you for that.

I find it interesting that your solution is to not do business with them because of how they have conducted themselves in regards to speech while being defensive of individual rights.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:52 AM   #46
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohmann
I'm not 100% certain that age is not a protected class.
In federal code and state codes modelled on federal code, age is a protected class, but not all ages. My state code requires one to be 40 or over to part of an age protected class.

There are state codes that ban discrimination by age in retail sales too, but that's a simple statutory ban. Dick's is big enough that it has experience dealing with all sorts of different state and local laws.
Old March 1, 2018, 12:29 PM   #47
K_Mac

I agree with Dr. Meyer that it is unlikely the court will rule with 18 year olds. There's certainly a difference in the maturity of 18 and 21 year olds, and it is enough to define the legal definition of adult in some cases. I'm not sure it is a battle worth fighting.

Quote:
They have the right to advocate for gun control if they choose, even if it offends me or you. The first and second amendments go together, "like peas and carrots" to paraphrase Forrest Gump. We have the right to take our business elsewhere and make our reasons known. Freedom is a complicated pursuit.
Old March 1, 2018, 04:59 PM   #48
Kvon2

I just saw that Wal-Mart will stop selling AIRSOFT guns that LOOK like AR15s....good grief.
Old March 1, 2018, 05:57 PM   #49
milehighjc

Really couldnt care less. The only reason I might care is if I was a shareholder. One year ago, the stock was trading at $51. Now it is at $32 - all during a historic run in the market. Ticking off half of your potential customer base in an act of political grandstanding seems like a bad idea, especially when your business is down.

I really dont think anyone cares if they sell guns, I doubt if it is more than a rounding error on their income statement. I cant imagine there is a bunch of NEW business because they took this public position.. So why grandstand? If they really had a concern about selling them, why not just quietly sell the remaining inventory and not restock. Business wise, its stupid. Politically its pointless, it changes absolutely nothing. If anything, it sends potential customers to their local gun shop that has someone to help them that actually knows something about the products, which IMHO is a better idea anyway.

So they want to be a clothing store... good luck with that. No skin off my back in any case.
Old March 1, 2018, 06:09 PM   #50
Mainah

Good news for locally owned shops. And I suspect that Dick’s will sell enough additional youth soccer gear to compensate for lost gun revenue.