The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 9, 2018, 07:14 PM   #26
Wyosmith

"Of course it might have to do with my old cop attitude where you had to account for the bullets that didn't hit the target."
This was and still is the best way to teach, and to retain in the standards for cops.
My hat is off to you KraigWy.
Old January 10, 2018, 02:22 AM   #27
Viper225

I am in the same boat. At 66 the kids out run you. I still have a great time. No better way to keep your shooting skills sharpened up.
Last Saturdays Match:
Stage 1: from the Box draw and engage 6 hanging Clam Shell targets, move Left down the hall and stop at the first window on the Right and engage the 3 Steel Silhouettes with 2 rounds each. Continue on down the hall to the end and engage 3 more steel silhouettes with 2 rounds each from the doorway. NOTE: The Clam Shell Plate Rack has the target height staggered up and down.
Stage 2: From the box draw and engage all 6 hanging 8" plates, then engage the 3 each 8" Lolly Pop targets arrayed to the right of the plate rack. NOTE: The Lolly Pop Targets are an 8" Round Hinged Plate on a stem.
Stage 3: Start in the box facing away from the Steel Silhouette. At the buzzer turn and draw, fire 2 rounds to the Body and 1 to the head.
Stage 4: Starting in the box. You have 5 Bianch Barricades 12 feet apart between you and the target line. You have a steel silhouette on each side of the barricades. At the buzzer you advance to the first Barricade and engage each silhouette with one round. Advance to the next barricade and repeat until you have fired 2 rounds from each barricade.
Stage 5: This stage has 12 each 8" Lolly Pop Targets. They are staged among 8 stacks of plastic barrels. You start from the box. At the buzzer you advance to the first saw horse and locate 4 targets that you can engage from that position. Move right to the next saw horse and engage the 4 targets that you can see from this location. Move Right again and engage the last 4 targets. This can be changed up with different numbers of targets visible from each location. This stage requires you to locate the targets among the barrels, and engage the 8" plates at varying distances. We just took delivery of 10 more of these targets Saturday. They have a Chicken Foot, a 3/4" stem, and a hinged 8" Plate. The stem heights are 12", 18", and 24". Having different height targets makes the stages more interesting. The chicken foot makes them stable, they also store and haul well stacked.
This would be a typical match at our Club. Not nearly as hi speed low drag as some. All of our shooters consider our match's to be great practice to keep shooting skills honed.
We normally will change up the way we shoot the Stages some for Sundays ICORE Revolver Match.
I will normally do 2 entries Saturday with a Glock or my 1911, and another 2 entries Sunday shooting one of my revolvers. I will fire between 200 and 300 rounds each match weekend. Great Practice with good friends.

Bob R

Last edited by Viper225; January 10, 2018 at 02:33 AM.
Old January 10, 2018, 06:39 AM   #28
Don P

Quote:
I switched over to PPC competition
I too have done the same thing. Wonderful having magazines that hold 50 rounds. Whats a reload
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 10, 2018, 09:11 AM   #29
Jim Watson

? PPC is shot in six round strings. Perhaps he meant PCC, the current fad that is diluting USPSA and IDPA

Quote:
"Of course it might have to do with my old cop attitude where you had to account for the bullets that didn't hit the target."
I once had a cop at a local ish match tell me that "Well, you guys are fast, but I have to account for all my shots." I restrained myself from pointing out that I was both faster AND more accurate than him. No point antagonizing an Authorized Person.
Old January 10, 2018, 03:09 PM   #30
Don P

Quote:
? PPC is shot in six round strings. Perhaps he meant PCC, the current fad that is diluting USPSA and IDPA
Good catch, I missed the PPC. How is it diluting USPSA? I ask even more so with regards to IDPA?
last year membership grew by 5,000 plus for USPSA and out of that number over 2,000 joined because of PCC. So I'll ask how is that a bad thing? It's competition and a game. Carry optics took off fast as the poor mans open gun.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 12, 2018, 03:44 PM   #31
egd

Diluting?...HA!, I too would say strengthening. More shooters, more members, more sales for gun makers, accessories,etc.,more people at matches to help club coffers.

Why do people think it somehow takes away from them just because someone shoots a different weapon? There are these things called DIVISIONS that separate equipment choices so people are shooting against like equipped people. Is the open shooter shooting against the revolver person? No, and they are not shooting against the pcc shooter.