The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 1, 2010, 01:13 AM   #1
ava8harrierusmc1

California and Nightvision scopes

Ok I live in California and I have a problem First of all I own a lot of firepower but I'm still not happy I want more. Next I want to leave it all to my friends son's since i can't have kids. But i want to leave each kid a AR-15 and other firearms I'm almost there just need a couple more. But in CALIFORNIA it's illegal to own what they call a SNIPER SCOPE now i need to know if I was to get a MULTI-TASK scope would or could that be considered a sniper scope the reason why i ask is because i'd like to get each D-740 Generation 2+ Mil. Spec. Advanced Rifle Scope but i know that i'll have trouble with the law if we are pulled over and they ask us to open the trunk so to be legal I'm thinking a GEN III MULTI-TASK Scope this way it FITS INTO THE RANGE OF THE LAW THAT IS LISTED BELOW. Any assistance would be helpful.
I do plane on using them for more than hunting when we go to NV I own a couple of GEN I's but they are wearing out so i need to replace them.

:barf:
Sniperscopes
A sniperscope is defined as a device made or adapted for use on a firearm that enables the operator
to detect objects during nighttime through the use of a projected infrared light source and
electronic telescope. (Penal Code § 468.)
Any person who buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or possesses a sniperscope is guilty of
a misdemeanor. This prohibition does not apply to authorized use or possession of sniperscopes by
members of the armed forces or peace officers, and does not prohibit use or possession solely for
scientific research or educational purposes. (Penal Code § 4
Old February 1, 2010, 01:55 AM   #2
Tucker 1371

Sniper Scope?? :barf:

Garbage.

I don't see how gun owners in Cali do it. I couldn't put up with that nonsense.

Just judging it by the way BATFE operates I would assume that Cali law considers even Multi Task scopes to be "Sniper Scopes" :barf:, if they still have the ability to allow the user to make accurate shots at night then I'm sure some Cali politician will **** a brick over you having one.

But on the other hand if you don't mind being out a few grand () it's only a misdemeanor. Not like they'll raid your house and confiscate your guns for that.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old February 1, 2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A sniperscope is defined as a device made or adapted for use on a firearm that enables the operator to detect objects during nighttime through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope. (Penal Code § 468.)

If the above quoted statute is correct then it doesn't matter what you call it.

If it is a night-vision scope that projects an infrared beam then it's illegal.

Calling such a scope a "sniper scope" is ridiculous and a clear indication of the ignorance of the ones who write the laws. Still, it doesn't change the legality.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old February 1, 2010, 04:30 PM   #4
bob.a

Unless there's more to the law about so-called sniper scopes, sounds like you could get a modern night-vision scope, which works off ambient light and doesn't require an infrared light source. They're not cheap, and you can't export the more recent models, not that that's a problem for you.
Old February 8, 2010, 05:43 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

My reading of it is that Calif. has a restriction against infra-red sights, not passive night vision. If so, it's dated and let's not stir the embers, OK?
Old February 8, 2010, 06:12 PM   #6
fastforty

You might have to get your friend's sons to move to another state in order to legally take possession of the AR's. Last I heard, you cannot buy or transfer them within the state. One of the subsections of the ban provides for transfer to your own child if that child's name was put on the registration form at the time the firearm was purchased. There may have been a change or reinterpretation since "last I heard" though.