The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2011, 02:53 PM   #1
BarbreJ

.40 FTF

I have been reloading .40 165 gr Rainer and Berry bullets for my Taurus .40 24/7. I started out at 1.135 OAL then I went to 1.128 and would have maybe 1 in 100 FTF. I recently went to Oal 1.122-1.125 on a couple hundred of cartirigdes and out of about 175 total rounds almost every first round in the Mag would FTF and had 3-4 mags lock back on the last round like the mag was empty.

The max OAL is 1.120 for this in my Lyman 49th. Why would of going to 1.122-1.125 caused FTF on the first round? I didnt have any feed issues on the rest of the mag except of the last round issue described above.

I know Taurus has a bad name with many on here, but it has treated me well since i have owned it and the issue started when I changed something. I plan on going back to 1-128-1.130 and see how it works and run some factory ammo through it next time to rule out gun issues.

I am just curious why its happening when I went shorter from a OAL that was feeding fairly well?

Then the my shooting neighbor let me shoot his Dan Wesson 1911 and I was highly impressed. What a gun.

Thanks,
John
Old March 13, 2011, 08:23 PM   #2
jepp2

FTF - Fail to Feed, or Fail to Fire? Sounds like you are having feeding problems, correct?

Have you tried a different magazine?
Old March 13, 2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Jim243

I am not a fan of plated bullets under any cercumstances. And not the Berry's. A lot of people will jump on me for saying this, but too bad. I feel their plating process makes bullets of different thickness and QC is not one of their strong suites. I still have 250 of their bullets and I am just donating them to a friend for his melting pot.

For 40 S&W I use 1.250 as OAL ALL the time no matter what bullet no matter what load.

And no it is not the Taurus problem, it is the shape of their bullets.

Jim
Old March 14, 2011, 09:41 AM   #4
BarbreJ

Feed

It was fail to feed. I didnt think of it meaning fire...My mistake. I tried both mags, but never paid attension to which it happend to, but neither one has been mis handled and are cleaned after every range session.

Jepp. I will measure some bullets and check it out. I have only been reloading for a shot time, but that makes alot of sense to me that it just doesnt like the bullet shape...which sucks if true cause thats the only bullets I can afford currently stocked locally.
Old March 14, 2011, 10:56 AM   #5
SL1

I don't have any problems feeding .40 S&W Ranier plated flat-nosed bullets in my Sig. I don't know if it is a Taurus thing, a Berry's thing, or a reloader thing that is your problem. But, if you want to keep shooting plated bullets, I would try making their exterior dimensions the same as some factory ammo that DOES feed for you in your gun, and then deviate from there to see what deviations cause trouble. I doubt that it is the actual plating that is the problem. It might be the case mouth doesn't have the flare removed, or it might be the bullet diameter is a little larger than jacketed. Or, something else.

SL1
Old March 14, 2011, 12:11 PM   #6
PA-Joe

Have you checked out your feed ramp? It may have machining marks that are catching the bullet.
Old March 14, 2011, 12:28 PM   #7
peter_s

http://38super.net/Pages/Bullet%20De...liability.html

This article is not just about .38 super. The author has a good section about OAL and feeding reliability, as well as a lot of info about bullet shape and feeding reliability.