The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 10, 2010, 01:58 PM   #1
salvadore

E. Pluribus Ammo

Has anyone else heard that South Korea will be exporting M-1 carbines and M-1 Garands soon?
Old May 10, 2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Chris_B

It already happened
Old May 11, 2010, 11:55 AM   #3
salvadore

Really? What happened to them?
Old May 11, 2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Hardcase

I don't think that it's happened yet. The plan, as of September, 2009, was to have an exporter in Korea and an importer in the US selected by the end of 2009. The importer was to receive the rifles and then sell them on and offline.

As of last September, South Korea had identified six possible exporters and the US had identified four possible importers. South Korea has to pick one of the six exporters. The exporter then has to pick one of the four importers. Then the sale will begin.

I can see that this is going to create two classes of M1s. Those with import marks and those without. The snob factor ought to be interesting if this Korean sale ever gets off the ground.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:17 PM   #5
azredhawk44

Why aren't these going to the CMP?

I was under the impression that all of our loaned/gifted firearms without a happy switch were supposed to come back to the DoD, if they ever come back, and that the DoD would pass them to the CMP if they had no direct military use for the arms.

I don't like the idea of SK Garands and Carbines out on the open market. I think these weapons deserve a bit more discriminating and caring owner, vetted by the minimalist requirements to buy through the CMP.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Chris_B

SOG was selling M1s from Korea recently
Old May 11, 2010, 09:15 PM   #7
Webleymkv

Quote:
I was under the impression that all of our loaned/gifted firearms without a happy switch were supposed to come back to the DoD, if they ever come back, and that the DoD would pass them to the CMP if they had no direct military use for the arms.
Given all the exporter/importer stuff, it sounds to me like these guns probably were purchased rather than loaned/gifted and are thusly no longer U.S. property.
Old May 11, 2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Hardcase

Quote:
Why aren't these going to the CMP?
These rifles were not loaned to South Korea, they were given (or possibly sold) to them, so the South Korean government can dispose of them as they see fit. The guns that CMP sells that were not USGI were loaned to foreign governments, so the only way that they can be disposed of is by returning them to the US.

The rifles that SOG was selling were not part of this Korean deal.

As far as the quality of the South Korean Garands is concerned, the scuttlebutt that I hear is that they are all in very good condition because the Korean army insisted that the soldiers keep their weapons properly maintained at all times.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:47 PM   #9
EdInk

I would LOVE to see these things available cheap on the open market. CMP is okay but you have to buy a membership and all that other crap. Just sell the darn things and everyone is happy.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:09 AM   #10
salvadore

I don't believe Americans should have to jump thru hoops to acquire one of these shooters. Does anyone know how many of these rifles and carbines are going to be exported.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:55 AM   #11
jsmaye

Quote:
I don't like the idea of SK Garands and Carbines out on the open market.
Sounds like an opinion of someone who has jumped through the CMP's hoops and therefore wants everyone else to.
Old May 12, 2010, 09:05 AM   #12
Hardcase

Quote:
I don't believe Americans should have to jump thru hoops to acquire one of these shooters. Does anyone know how many of these rifles and carbines are going to be exported.
About 86,000 rifles and 22,000 carbines.

There are two reasons that there are hoops to jump through for a CMP rifle. First, the gun is shipped to your door, not to your dealer. Second, is that the CMP exists to promote civilian marksmanship. To that end, it provides rifles to people who are actively involved in marksmanship activities. It's not primarily an outlet for selling collector's pieces. The idea behind CMP, going back to its formation as the DCM, was to create a way for civilians to gain proficiency with military arms. That's why you've got to be a member of a shooting club and participate in competitions. CMP has to be able to verify that you're actively being or becoming a marksman and that's about the only way to do it.

I didn't fine the process to be terribly onerous. I scanned my passport, my DD214, my gun club card and got the package notarized at the bank. Easy as pie.

It's not for everyone, though, and if these Korean rifles ever make it to the US, there'll be another means to acquire one of these great old guns.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:07 PM   #13
jsmaye

Quote:
There are two reasons that there are hoops to jump through for a CMP rifle. First, the gun is shipped to your door, not to your dealer.
Every gun I've ordered through my C&R has arrived at my door.

Quote:
Second, is that the CMP exists to promote civilian marksmanship.
All it promotes is gun club membership. The marksmanship part is up to the individual shooter.

I have no real problem with the CMP - I just don't like gun ownership or the purchase thereof to be conditional.

Last edited by jsmaye; May 14, 2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 05:39 PM   #14
Chris_B

Quote:
I would LOVE to see these things available cheap on the open market. CMP is okay but you have to buy a membership and all that other crap. Just sell the darn things and everyone is happy.
No offense meant, but that's a very cavalier attitude towards the CMP, and an overly simplified version of what the circumstances are. I'm not sure you understand what the CMP does or why or how. They aren't 'a store'. If they just sold the darn things, you'd be paying twice as much, and I for one would not be happy

The CMP is not hard to qualify for nor is it expensive to do it
Old May 12, 2010, 10:12 PM   #15
hans4811

Quote:
cheap on the open market
lol...isn't that an oxymoron !! Show me anywhere on the open market that sells them cheaper and as good a condition as CMP. Not to mention the customer service. ANY and I mean ANY problems, one call and 9 times out of 10 they'll just send you a new rifle and/or part. Think you'll get that deal on the 'open market' with these Korean imports ? HA and I do mean HA....
Old May 13, 2010, 07:21 AM   #16
grumpa72

"CMP is okay but you have to buy a membership and all that other crap."

If you are implying that you must join the CMP that is wrong. If you are implying that you must be a member of an affiliated club, then that is correct. Regardless, I am not sure how that translates into "all that other crap". When I went to the CMP North store, the guys there were as helpful as any gun shop I have ever been in. They showed me how to check the M1s, how to gauge them, and even gave some good pointers on other things.

I have had my CMP-acquired M1 Garand for about three weeks now and it is a beautiful rifle that shoots better than I can. The muzzle and bore tested to very tight specs on the two that I bought. These were two Springfield rifles with 5.8 million serial numbers (around 1955? I think). I don't know how well a well used Korean M1 would test out. Would be nice to own a Carbne though. The CMPs carbines are rough, really rough, imo.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:37 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

The $20 cost of joining the national CMP club is not going to compare to the probable price difference on these rifles.
Almost every range/hunting club/etc is affiliated in my area so I didn't have to worry about finding a club as I was already a member of a few.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:52 PM   #18
jsmaye

There is one CMP-affiliated club in my area. Membership is by invitation only.

I'm sure in many cases there are no affiliated clubs nearby. If one is not ex-military or law enforcement and/or lives in a remote area, meeting the CMP's requirements is not as easy as it's made out to be.
Old May 13, 2010, 03:02 PM   #19
Hardcase

Quote:
Every gun I've ordered through my C&L has arrived at my door.
If you mean C&R, then yes, that's true. However, you need no license to order a rifle from CMP. Thus, there are some "hoops".

Quote:
All it promotes is gun club membership. The marksmanship part is up to the individual shooter.
I think that you're splitting hairs. The CMP promotes marksmanship, it doesn't demand it. If you're a member of an affiliated club and you participate in organized events, that's a demonstration that you're also committed to promoting marksmanship (specifically, your own.)

I think that you misunderstand the reason that CMP offers the rifles at such a low price and limits who can purchase them. As I mentioned before, there is a reason that they sell what they sell and a purpose for their existence. It's been that way for 107 years.

It's OK if you don't like their requirements - just shop elsewhere.
Old May 13, 2010, 03:12 PM   #20
Hardcase

Quote:

I'm sure in many cases there are no affiliated clubs nearby. If one is not ex-military or law enforcement and/or lives in a remote area, meeting the CMP's requirements is not as easy as it's made out to be.
http://www.thegca.org/

$25 and you're in! Now how hard is that?

Now, get your CCW, C&R, FOID or hunter's ed class. Then go buy your rifle.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:31 AM   #21
salvadore

I think the CMP does great work, a fine organization. I do believe however with 86,000 Garands showing up on the market there should be some deals to be made. Does anyone know if Garands C&R classified?
Old May 16, 2010, 08:44 AM   #22
Chris_B

SOG was selling them for 400 dollars. They are out of them though. Quite a deal if you're prepared to do some work and probably re-barrel. But now you're up to 600, which is CMP prices

CMP prices being what they are, it surprises me that some people don't feel that the CMP is a deal. I saw what would be a rack grade CMP rifle for 1600 dollars two weeks ago, and the man was quite confident that his shop's price was not high
Old May 18, 2010, 03:00 PM   #23
btp

Or join the Texas State Rifle Association

Quote:

http://www.thegca.org/

$25 and you're in! Now how hard is that?

Now, get your CCW, C&R, FOID or hunter's ed class. Then go buy your rifle.

https://www.tsra.com/