The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 30, 2009, 04:57 AM   #51
phil mcwilliam

I have killed hundreds of hogs in over 30 years of hunting, some with my S&W629 44 Magnum. Using 240 grain Winchester Hollowpoint factory ammunition the bullets definately do not bounce off the skull of a pig at that distance. A lot of people handload their 44 Magnums to reduce recoil for target practice & then make the mistake of taking these rounds hunting. What is shown could happen as some people download their 44's so the bullet barely dribbles out the end of the barrel.
Old July 30, 2009, 06:03 AM   #52
tmd11111

Quote:
The shooter is a crappy shot. The first shot went through wood first, likely stripping the jacket off, and impacting the pig as fragments, not as a solid slug. The second shot doesn't actually impact the pig directly and likely missed below the pig. The third shot does directly impact the pig and the pig is finally put out of its misery, but the shooter clearly missed his stated target.
Ding Ding Ding Ding

Ladies and Gentleman we have a winner.......
Rewatch the video in slow motion and you will see that the shooter is clearly a lousy aim.

At the 17 second mark you can see the chunck of wood that gets taken out with the first shot. At around the 30 or 31 second mark you can see the puff of dirt below the pig....

Two shots, two misses.

When the shooter picks up the bullet it appears to be just a stripped jacket without the lead. Most definately from shooting it through the log at such a close range. Had it hit the hogs head directly it would have more then likely flattened Not mushroomed.
Old August 2, 2009, 08:32 PM   #53
Hunley

Not surprised...

I shot a small one with a .308 in the chest that came out his belly and dropped his intestines out.

He ran off, so I shot him again. He still kept coming at me and 5 shots of .38 Special +P (DoubleTap no less) didn't do the job. It did scare him enough to make him run into some briars where I'm guessing he eventually died.

I'm gonna stick to 12ga. slugs from now on.