The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2021, 01:01 PM   #1
chris downs

Powder Jug Handling

So I have an 8 pound container of powder coming tomorrow. It's all they had and all I could get. I am familiar with using 4 pound jugs and an 8 pounder seems like it will be unwieldy. Or is slinging around 8 pounders no big deal?
Old April 6, 2021, 02:33 PM   #2
jpx2rk

If you have a empty 1# bottle, just re-label it with masking/painters tape, etc., so you'll know what is really in that re-labeled bottle.
Old April 6, 2021, 03:08 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Yup, have done that for a long time. I don't want to be swinging an 8 lb container over a powder measure. I even have proper 1 lb bottles from when I tried out a powder, liked it, then bought in quantity.
Old April 6, 2021, 03:59 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Pick an empty that is a style you prefer. Some have narrower mouths than others, and some are flat and narrow rather than cylindrical. Just find a shape you are comfortable with and that you can control well pouring into the powder measure. Fill it only halfway. Label it something like "powder name - working stock". You can print it on a sheet of the peel-off, stick-on labels and put one on your measure when that is what is in it. You can also return powder to it (this is why God made funnels) if you have to change out what is in your measure, though I would get in the habit of leaving the container as the only powder container on the bench until that is done. Otherwise, you increase the chances of accidentally mingling two powders. Never pour anything back into your 8 lb jug. If you realize (you should always look at powder when you pour it out, as an added check) that you've mixed two powders, you then have only a partial container of orphaned powder rather than being faced with the nightmare of trying to segregate an intruder from your larger store.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 6, 2021, 03:59 PM   #5
RC20

Ditto:

Make sure you rip the label off, don't just paste on over existing.

I collect them now, I only buy in 8 lb jugs (when its available).

I also keep a few 8 lbs spares, I found 9 lbs of powder a while back in 1 lb. So I put it all in the 8, labeled it as such, kept one of the 1 lb.

The 5 lb R17 just is handy as it takes 8 and you don't have empty space (again when you can or could get it in 5 lb).
Old April 7, 2021, 09:13 AM   #6
jmhyer

I would add that, in transferring and storing in smaller containers, you should include on your label, not just the name of the powder but also the date of purchase and lot # ...in case of a recall or a problem that you need to discuss with the manufacturer.
Old April 7, 2021, 09:30 AM   #7
101combatvet

Unless you are buying local, eight pounds is the most cost-effective way to ship.
Old April 7, 2021, 12:24 PM   #8
7.62 man

Buy a big plastic funnel because pouring from those large containers can be hard & at the price of powder these days any spill is expensive.
Old April 7, 2021, 12:56 PM   #9
RC20

I have had no issues using my hand as a guide. But then I deal in 8 lbs and a lot of 30-06.

I spill far more vs none when I forget to shut the gate on the auto dispenser!
Old April 8, 2021, 05:30 AM   #10
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 man View Post
Buy a big plastic funnel because pouring from those large containers can be hard & at the price of powder these days any spill is expensive.
I use a canning funnel, nice big mouth for easy powder flow.
Old April 8, 2021, 07:54 AM   #11
FITASC

Dollar store funnel for me; the white funnel gets used for dispensing powder and shot and has a nice graphite coating on part of it from decades of use. Also handy to pour the powder BACK into the jug.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 8, 2021, 08:32 AM   #12
rodfac

No big deal...just use a funnel when topping off your powder measure.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 8, 2021, 09:22 AM   #13
pete2

I pour it right into my Dillon measure(use a funnel) from the 8# jug, also fill my MEC bottles the same way.
Old April 8, 2021, 01:45 PM   #14
rclark

Quote:
Buy a big plastic funnel
I simply cut the top half off a 2 liter pop bottle as a funnel. Works great. Had it for years. Nice wide mouth.

I always keep a 1lb bottle of each powder around just for this purpose. Large jug into small bottle, already properly labeled....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; April 11, 2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old April 8, 2021, 03:45 PM   #15
FITASC

Except for some rifle powders from decades ago, I haven't bought a 1# jug of powder in 20+ years. Minimum is 4#, typical is 8#; the unit price per pound savings is just too great
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 9, 2021, 08:23 AM   #16
Nick_C_S

I have saved a 1# empty container of every powder I've used. If/when I get a 4# or 8# batch, I will dispense exactly 1# (using a kitchen scale and funnel) into the saved 1# container. Using a label, I'll put the date dispensed, and the lot#.
Old April 9, 2021, 08:56 AM   #17
zxcvbob

Small liquid laundry detergent bottles work well for storing a pound or so of powder from your bulk jug. Wash it out well, make sure it's totally dry. (they also work well for storing a quart or so of laundry detergent out of a 2.5 gallon bulk pack. Or 5 pounds of birdshot. Etc.) Make sure you label it
Old April 9, 2021, 10:29 AM   #18
Don P

No worse than wielding a gallon of milk around
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 10, 2021, 12:37 AM   #19
rclark

Quote:
I will dispense exactly 1# (using a kitchen scale and funnel) into the saved 1# container
I refill the smaller container to the brim each time. Seems to work just fine . Powder doesn't seem to mind... I've also went the 'other' direction. When powder was scarce, and I'd run across a bottle or two of what I use, I'd buy and pour back into the large jug until full ...filled to the brim. Then toss the smaller bottles away to save space....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 10, 2021, 04:57 AM   #20
chris downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P View Post
No worse than wielding a gallon of milk around
But I don't cry over spilled milk!
Old April 10, 2021, 09:34 AM   #21
Nick_C_S

Quote:
But I don't cry over spilled milk!
Well played.
Old April 10, 2021, 07:32 PM   #22
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 man View Post
What he says about a large funnel is correct ... large diameter so it is easy to pour into and make sure the opening from the funnel / tube is nice and large ...
Powder needs a large opening to flow easily through and most Liquid Funnels and funnels found in cooking and automitive are sized for liquids ...For powder to flow easily get a large funnel with a large diameter tube , if not the powder fills the funnel , clogs the tube and your stuck juggling a full funnel and a 8 pound powder keg ... trust me !!!
Gary
Old April 11, 2021, 06:22 AM   #23
Mike / Tx

Funnel hack...

Next time you stop at a convenience store, grab a half dozen of those paper funnels they have for oil. Cut about a quarter inch off the bottom and your good to go.

Best part is they fold flat and don't take up much room.
Old April 11, 2021, 07:20 AM   #24
stagpanther

I've never had a problem "slinging" 8 pounders--is there a safety issue with doing so? (I've done plenty of stupid stuff).
Old April 11, 2021, 11:00 AM   #25
rclark

No safety issue. Just the convenience of a 1# bottle.